Kyle Racing Ohlins 20mm Fork Review - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Midget Rancher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Kyle Racing Ohlins 20mm Fork Review

Kyle Racing Ohlins 20mm Fork Review
Most of you saw my threads (was on another board i just copied/pasted this) debating between traxxion dynamics and dan kyle ohlins forks. I went with Dan Kyle and got the Ohlins 20mm supersport kit, ohlins springs and oil, Dans shim stack and a stroke Indicator. Total price with 3 day return shipping from Cali to PA was $730. WORTH EVERY DAMN PENNY!

Ride report...

Got out for about 150 miles yesterday. Roads were still a little dirty and alot of turns still had a lot of leftover cinders from the winter weather, still was able to ride at a decent pace though to see how the bike felt.

I'll give more details as i get more miles but im very impressed, was worth every penny. Besides the forks, ive also added a radial master, ss lines, ebc pads, pazzo's, rearsets, and diablo corsa III's in a 120/70/ front and 190/55 rear since ive riddne last. The 190/55 rear is a taller tire than the stocker which raises the rear and quickens steering some, it basically makes it feel like you have a 180 on the back but gives you the contact patch of a 190. Gives you the best of both worlds. Some or all of these things may have affected the handling feedback during riding so the fork review may be a little skewed.

I put the forks on the other evening and the only thing i changed before riding was to check my front end sag. With the forks just the way they came from dan kyle i was at 28mm, most guys run 30-35 on the 10. I was in a rush to meet up with a buddy so i took out one turn of preload and away i went. I need a little more seat time to get a good feel before i make any changes to rebound or compression though as the bike felt really good and didnt give any significant indication that it needed adjustment. With more seat time and a little experimenting I'll see if i can make the great front end even better, it feels so good compared to stock though its hard to imagine that it could get better.

The forks are simply amazing! Mated with the penske double in the rear its an unbelievable transformation over the stock setup, this thing is on rails! When i used to hit bumps/patches in the road i felt them jolt right into the clip-ons, the new setup still give you the feedback to let you know something is there but is very smooth and not a jolt anymore. While at lean the front end feels rock steady and will track anywhere you want it too, it holds a line even if the pavement is less than stellar. Bumps and ripples no longer unsettle the chassis and the bike stays on its line. I did have a moment that the stock setup wouldnt have handled very well and the new suspenders didnt even flinch. I was into a twisty section with a nice left-righ-left transition, i hadnt been on the road in forever and it slipped my mind that the last left in the series was a decreasing radius... Well just a slight push on the clip-on and the bike just dove deeper and rode right through it.

I have a set of freeway ramps here by the house that all connect with each other so you can just keep hitting them, they are concrete but have all been patched with blacktop. Normally i run through these to see how the bike/suspension feels when i make changes. The blacktop patchjob is terrible and the patches are probably an inch higher than the concrete, and of course they are every 10-20 feet the whole way through the ramps. They are terribly rough which makes them perfect in finding imperfections in your setup. I hit em up and while cranked over the bike was planted. I almost couldnt tell the patches were there, and the bike once again was on rails. With the stock setup the bike bucked and it seemed like no matter what i did to the suspension it didnt get any better and i couldnt get it to hold a line without feeling nervous.

When i first got this bike i was less than impressed with the handling after coming from my 636, i can now say this bike handles way better than my 636 did and has gobs of power. Im a very, very happy camper....

Stay tuned, the weather is just gettin good here. More to come...

Just trying to stay alive long enough to get good enough to stay alive...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Gap runner

Excellent! Another one has become a true believer that Suspension upgrade is where it's at! Worth SOOOOOOOOOO much more than a slip on!

Ron
Semper Fi!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Midget Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstrk
Excellent! Another one has become a true believer that Suspension upgrade is where it's at! Worth SOOOOOOOOOO much more than a slip on!

no doubt. i had guys tell me, unless you race its not worth the money... my response, "you spend a thousand for a pipe and power commander to get a handful of HP, why not spend the same and get some suspension so you can use that power the way its intended"

from now on any bike i buy WILL have suspension work first. its such a great investment.

the penske double and ohlins front end compared to stock? well, they dont compare. not even close.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Midget Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanstrk

btw, i was starting to think that nobody on this board cared about good suspension... hardly any views and no comments...lol SQUIDS!!! just messin

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:36 PM
poon master

one of the guys i do trackdays with has the 25mm cart. he got from kyle...and from what i hear he's a good guy to get ur ohlins from for a fair price...

u know in some cultures they only eat vomit.....
i read that, IN A BOOK!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Moto GP Champion

Sweet!

I've been seriously thinking about having the suspension done on my 600RR. I'm thinking about sending the forks and shock off to Thermosman for springs and a revalve. I'd end up with about a grand in it and I'm sure that it would be a huge improvement.

2012 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2014 Husqvarna CR125
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Midget Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWISTED METAL
one of the guys i do trackdays with has the 25mm cart. he got from kyle...and from what i hear he's a good guy to get ur ohlins from for a fair price...
i considered the 25 kit but the cost was a LOT more... is it worth it? probably, but try telling my wife that...lol

i spoke with dan on the phone several times and he knows his shit for sure! he is a suspension god! lol

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Midget Rancher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1243
Sweet!

I've been seriously thinking about having the suspension done on my 600RR. I'm thinking about sending the forks and shock off to Thermosman for springs and a revalve. I'd end up with about a grand in it and I'm sure that it would be a huge improvement.

thermosman is awesome too. cant go wrong with any of the big names really. if your considering it, DO IT! afterwards you wont even believe that you used to ride with the stock stuff.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2007, 01:30 PM
Moto GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser
thermosman is awesome too. cant go wrong with any of the big names really. if your considering it, DO IT! afterwards you wont even believe that you used to ride with the stock stuff.

I sure that it would be a huge improvement, but the 600RR is my track only bike so I only get to ride it maybe 7-10 times a year. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to me to spend that kind of money when I'm only going to use it so rarely. On top of that it is kind of a budget build, spending a grand on the suspension would increase my total investment by 30%.

Maybe I should just have the 750's suspension done.

2012 KTM RC8R
2012 BMW S1000RR
2014 Husqvarna CR125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in