New Bike, New Rider, New SBN Member - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Luckiest Woman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New Bike, New Rider, New SBN Member

Well, I have my license, from taking the safety course. Got good helmet, gloves, and picking up a jacket and pants tomorrow. I'll be getting some other gear and materials later on, including a passenger helmet. I'm wondering what would be the best size to get for different passengers, a large? Got any ideas. I don't plan on taking anyone on the back until I feel very secure with it, but I'm just wondering, I guess. And also, being a small girl with a bike that is a little less than 400 dry weight, though my seat is the right height for me, I am a little itchy about when I have to stop fast. I don't want the thing to fall on me when I may have that need in traffic. Does anyone have any good ideas for some practice that would help me prepare for that, before I take it in traffic on the open road. I remember all the exercises for my class, which will be good, but just wondering if anyone has any other ideas that might be beneficial. I plan on practicing some things quite a bit before I start putting myself out there in more dangerous environments. I'm just a safety girl. Heehee. Well, let me know...any ideas would be great. I have a friend that is willing to aid me, as well.

A warrior acts, only a fool reacts.
Pussy Posse Member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:21 PM
WHOA

Empty parking lots are probably your best bet for practice. Find a big one after the operating hours and you shouldn't have to worry about traffic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work to Ride, Ride to Work
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm a GOOD bad boy!

first and you might want to get you some traffice cones, and set them up in a large parking lot and practice riding at a speed you want to practice at towards them and come to a stop between them, and before going past them.(not at them directly because they may possibly make you wreck if you hit them)

I'm not braggin', I'm just that good!
"...I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride...wanted, dead or alive..."

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Luckiest Woman

Yeah, I figure that will be the best. But I'm a little worried about the quick stop...don't want to lay it over cuz it's brand new. Would it be too dangerous to have my friend stand near where I will stop to help me catch the bike if it starts to go, do you think? I did great on them in the class, but the bike was smaller and lighter weight, so I know I will have to get used to this one, especially since I DO USE MY FOOT BRAKE, unlike some riders. Just don't want to scratch her up in practice on such an easy exercise.

Pussy Posse Member

post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Luckiest Woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiBird
first and you might want to get you some traffice cones, and set them up in a large parking lot and practice riding at a speed you want to practice at towards them and come to a stop between them, and before going past them.(not at them directly because they may possibly make you wreck if you hit them)
Yup, know how to do the exercises, and my line is pretty straight, my curve line is pretty good too, so I ain't worried about hitting the cones, hehehe. Just don't want to lay her over on the abruptness of the stop.

Pussy Posse Member

post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:31 PM
World Superbike Racer

If you're worried about scratching up the bike, you could take the fairings off initially while you are practicing the emergency stops and riding in general. It'll only take a few minutes and it'll give you some peace of mind (and may save you money in the long run).

Another thing that might help you get comfortable on the bike is to ride on some back roads for a while (this will depend on where you live). When I started riding, I spent about a week and a half putting around on back roads just to get used to riding at speed, something that can't be practiced in a parking lot or at an MSF course. As I got more comfortable, I began venturing onto busier streets.

Also, welcome to SBN.

-Jon
'06 Honda CBR 1000 RR -
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaiBird
This is more or less what I used to do as well. Find a nice long empty parking lot (A local community college on the weekends was my personal favorite), and pick something significant to use as your stopping point. Then approach it at low speed and practice stopping before you reach it. Repeat over and over, slowly increasing your approach speed until you feel comfortable. I personally wouldn't recommend having anyone stand by, as that will probably just make you more nervous and distract you ("Ack! I'm going to hit him!"). Using the foot brake is good, but in an emergency situation if you slam it, you might lose traction in the rear. Most of your braking should take place with the front brakes! Good luck to you, and congrats on your first bike (great choice!)

P.S> If you do happen to over-brake with the rear and it loses traction, make sure you hold the rear brake until you come to a stop. If you let off the brake and it regains traction, it'll try and throw you!
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Official SBN Party Pooper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Aloha and Welcome to SBN

U.S. Navy Veteran

Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. Wear your gear!!!
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Luckiest Woman

Thanks...any more ideas are much appreciated as well.

Pussy Posse Member

post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:45 PM
World 500 GP Champion

hello and welcome to SBN.

2006 R6 blue-the faster color; akra. exhaust, fender elim. tinted screen, pc, and other cosmetic goodies etc.etc.

post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm a GOOD bad boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombshell
Thanks...any more ideas are much appreciated as well.
Try gettiing use to the front brake slowly and consistently though, IT IS where most of your braking comes from. Also try lining the cones up, and practice going in and out, helps on preventing rear-end collisions with cages. You drive how you train/practice.

I'm not braggin', I'm just that good!
"...I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride...wanted, dead or alive..."
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 01:55 AM
2 As 1

Practice a lot in parking lots, buy frame sliders, and practice more. There really is no other way, just lots of practice. For braking, just remember not to grab the brakes... try to squeeze progressively. Read lots of books. "Twist Of The Wrist" / "Profecient Motorcycling" etc...

Have fun, and stay safe.

I Never Use Signatures.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 01:56 AM
KH, Rest In Peace Brother

Welcome to SBN

I would say take the plastics off use some cones to set up a "track". I wouldn't let someone be there at the stopping point. When you make that stop and you try to grab it and keep it from going they will be too and you can actually work against one another and it will hit the ground anyways.

William (Will) SBN
R.I.P. Krazy Hawaiian-you will be missed brother!!

Bike Mods:CarbonFreak Windscreen, Power Commander, Galfer Superbike Brake Lines, Carbone Lorraine Brake Pads, BMC Air Filter, Motovation Frame Sliders, Redlinestands Swingarm Spools.

WERA #951
NESBA #951

Hemmet-cam LEO-LEESTA!!!
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat!-Virgil
POLICE K9: GO AHEAD AND RUN, IT'S YOUR ASS!
SHUT UP!! I can only listen to one person lie to me at a time!!-Officer737

2006 Graduate of the Kevin Schwantz Suzuki School (race school)
"Putting my foot in your ass since 2005!"
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 05:23 AM
Mess with the Bull.....

Thanked 1,761 Times in 967 Posts
Quoted: 164 Post(s)

Welcome

Awesome to hear a noob speak so highly when talking about gear Gear literally saved my life 2 weeks ago (see link below) so please wear it no matter what...

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/...d.php?t=310035

As for tips...The best practice is saddle time...Start with empty parking lots and then start hitting the roads that have little to no traffic and slowly progress to more dense areas...

Good luck and post up your progress...

SBN Moderator

to PM me with any questions or concerns
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 05:27 AM
si vis pacem para bellum

First off

Can't say anything other then what has already been said except:

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who do not do anything about it."
(Albert Einstein)

Knee-leesta
LEO-leesta

"It is not how these officers died that made them heroes, it is how they lived." by Vivian Eney (survivor). Engraved on the National Police Memorial Wall.

Looking for books on riding?

Ride Safely and Wear Your Gear!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in