Rode my first "real" bike. - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rode my first "real" bike.

I've put about 100 miles on my first bike, a 2001 sv650s, and my only experience prior to that was with a nighthawk 250 at MSF. Well, today I took my bike into the dealer to get it all tuned up and they said it would take a week at least. Anywho, my friend picked me up from the dealership and we were driving back and he offered to let me give his bike a spin, a 2003 Cbr600rr. I laughed because I was certain he was joking, but no. He was serious. Let me just say this... HOLY SHIT THAT THING IS FAST. How do you guys ride liter bikes? That kind of acceleration is ungodly crazy. I got the throttle control pretty quickly, but when I rolled onto the throttle and gave it some punch... I dont even know what to say. I thought my SV was fast as hell. That thing lifted up so fast and covered so much ground in such little time. Well, anywho, i just wanted to share my experience. It was incredible. I know why you guys say start small (though it's his first bike). I even did a low speed tight turn (narrow two lane road). I rolled on coming out of the turn and I was damn near back to where I left from before I realized I had shifted to second. Anywho, 600ss's are nuts! I can't even imagine what a busa or an r1 feels like. EEP!

Edit: Ok, i just read that and realized it's a bit incoherent. I pulled the bike out of a parking lot and went about a mile up the road, u-turned, and came back. I made it safely, but i was utterly shocked at the acceleration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 03:28 PM
World Superbike Racer

Congrats! And yeah.. it's amazing how much power those bikes can put out.. just have to be careful with them
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Are we not men?

Quoted: 53 Post(s)

......and some wonder why certain people try to steer new riders away from such bikes.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Thomas Jefferson

I go Beltway blitzin' on my mad mofo musclebike WFO. Its a true choice, a god-like experience if you will. The thought that I could buy the farm in a spectacular fireball...................well, that gives me a stiffie! Tesco Vee/The Meatmen

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 04:17 PM

I had the same thoughts when I jumped on my new ZX-6RR not the first bike I owned but definitely more power
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 04:59 PM
IG.
Back Marker

Isn't it exciting time? I remember being that much excited with my first bike Katana 600, and a while ago when I got the 'Busa. And, now I am having thoughts that the 'Busa is a bit sluggish in 3rd and above, and kind of understand why some go turbo.

Have fun, and ride safe!

Igor
'01 Hayabusa
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 05:09 PM

When i first rode my fzr it was like how can you need more power then this. After a few thousand miles I realized i was riding the moped of the sportbike world.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's like that EVERY time I get on my bike. Imagine a 1298 GSXR with a Yosh head, cams, 40mm carbs with a hit at about 7500rpm that takes your breath away jammed into the short wheelbase 750 It's a mind warp! I refer to it coming on the "pipe" as "Going Plaid" like when Scotty hits warp 9 in star trek, the scenery just turns into one long blur and next thing your at that speck that a second ago was on the horizon and suddenly it's a Full Size Blazer or similar and it's IN YOUR FACE

Ive been on bikes almost my entire life and that thing still shocks the living shit outta me each time I ride it.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 05:57 PM

Wow that's a funny story I had the very opposite reaction when I rode a CBR600RR for the first time. My thoughts were "Man this thing is slow, where's the beef".
It was because of the lack of torque compared to my TLR.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 06:30 PM

man when i first got on my 954 after coming off an ex500, i had a blast. i would spin the tire everywhere, just wack it in first w/ a slightly cold tire and it'll spin right up. wack it in first w/ a warm tire and its airborn
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-03-2004, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by casdrmm
Wow that's a funny story I had the very opposite reaction when I rode a CBR600RR for the first time. My thoughts were "Man this thing is slow, where's the beef".
It was because of the lack of torque compared to my TLR.
lol, you come off of a tlr, i come off of a gummed up sv650. I got on the highway today and the thing wouldn't even pull in sixth gear at 80, it sat at the same speed. It's in the shop for a week now getting all that taken care of I miss it already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in