CA traffic and lane splitting - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 06:05 PM
part of the problem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffguy #2
To you guys that lane split is states where its illegal....

Have you guys ever gone by a cop while doing this? Have you ever been ticketed for it? I'm just curious cause i'm tempted to lane split all the time here.
Yes, I've gone past the CHP while lane splitting. There are specific laws, but I forget them. It's illegal to travel more then 15 mph over the rate of traffic. Moreover, you can only split traffic that is traveling at 30-45 mph (again I forget the specifics).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 08:55 PM
TMK
Old school fool

Living in Japan, lane splitting is a necessity and I do it every chance I get. I probably split 300 cars on my morning commute today. I can cut 20 to 30 minutes off my commute by doing it.

Once you get used to splitting cars it's very easy. When the cars are stopped, I run between 10 and 20 MPH as I pass them. I won't usually split them when they're moving at more than a crawl but I run right along the center line and switch when I have th chance.

It's actually a lot of fun, and I think it takes a lot of skill. I feel a little like Luke Skywalker running down that canyon on the Death Star.

Back from vacation
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 09:02 PM

My msf instructor told me that lane splitting in CA with a liquid cooled bike is illegal. Anyone know if this is true?

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 10:47 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I don't think that they would write the law according to the type of cooling system it has. Even with a liquid cooled, at least my bike anyway, it gets damn close to over heating when sitting in traffic.

"Knowing nothing is better than knowing it all"
-The Used-
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:11 PM

I lane split every morning on the way to school. Sac isn't so bad, but you guys in the Bay Area have some crazy traffic. I was following a friend between cars on the 101 just north of the Golden Gate and an SUV cut him off and my friend clipped him. I have a lot of respect for the 'splitters in the Bay Area and LA.
CHP bikes do it, too. I followed one for miles on the 205 from the Bay Area to Stockton one day and you better believe people cleared a path for him! We were cruising at 45mph and everyone else was stopped.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:36 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserb
I lane split every morning on the way to school. Sac isn't so bad, but you guys in the Bay Area have some crazy traffic. I was following a friend between cars on the 101 just north of the Golden Gate and an SUV cut him off and my friend clipped him. I have a lot of respect for the 'splitters in the Bay Area and LA.
CHP bikes do it, too. I followed one for miles on the 205 from the Bay Area to Stockton one day and you better believe people cleared a path for him! We were cruising at 45mph and everyone else was stopped.

Where in NorCal are you at bro?

"Knowing nothing is better than knowing it all"
-The Used-
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 PM

I am subconsiously fearful some bastard is going to open his door while going between cars.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2004, 12:42 AM
OEM
Umbrella Girl

I went to traffic school, and the cop who taught it told us it is legal to split lanes regardless of what type of bike you ride. You can go over 10 MPH of the following traffic around you, but only up to around 30 MPH. Once the traffic starts moving over 30 MPH, we have to get back in line. Also, as tempting as it is, you CANNOT split the lane between the carpppl lane and the regular lane. Its tempting because there is a 2 foot double yellow lines seperating the 2 lanes, but any cop will give you a ticket (thats what I went to traffic school for).

As for someone who asked whether we pass cops. Yes, I passed BMW cops, when they are not also splitting lanes, or they even get over sometimes letting you pass. I always crawl past them, never over 30 MPH or so. I even used to split between the double yellow lines till I got a ticket from an old man driving one of those old Kawasakis or Harleys, now sure. I was too shocked he pulled me over to notice.

:alky
2003 GSX-R 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in