Sport Bikes banner

Sprockets / Chain Change this weekend

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  mtnryder 
#1 ·
Need a little help here peeps...

I did the sprocket upgrade on my F4i this weekend and of course I was expecting the speedo to be off somewhat and the RPMs to be running a little higher but I did NOT expect my engine to be running as hot as it is. Usually when I am just sitting still in heavy traffic or waiting on everyone to get ready to take off again from a break the bike usually jumps up to around 198-200. Well now, even just idlling, the bike will jump up to like 220-221 causing the fans to cut on which never happened before I changed the sprockets unless I just got off some crazy twisties.

My question is, I haven't changed the oil in the bike since I got it (only had this particular bike for about a month and 1/2 or so) and the guy I purchased it from said he just changed it like a week before I bought it. Anyways, should I run a different grade of oil or should I just not worry about the temp because I don't think it is extremely high, but just had me worried this weekend after the install.

:alky

P.S. I also got a new set of Pilot Powers this weekend :hail

#3 ·
On the F4i, the fans don't come on until 225 deg. Usually, it can go up to around 232 before the temps start dropping again; this isn't anything dangerous although your legs and seat may get pretty hot.

Your sprocket change has nothing to do with the engine temperature. It is either a coincidence or else you are just noticing it now since you changed something on the bike. It is nothing to worry about at those temps.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help guys...

You're right, the sprockets don't change the temperature as a direct factor but due to the RPM range changing this would then cause the temp to go up quicker because I am riding in a little higher RPM range than normal. It doesn't do it automatically, but it just seems like if I'm riding and then I stop and let it idle, that it gets hotter quicker; not necessarily jumps right up to the 220 range, but just quicker than usualy I thought. Oh well, I'll keep my eye on things...

Thanks again...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.