It should NOT take two days to do a 600 service! - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 371
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
It should NOT take two days to do a 600 mile service!

Cliff Notes: The service department at Renton Motorcycles (in Renton, WA) sucks terribly (Terrible isn't even a bad enough word...).

I took my bike in to get it's cracked fairing fixed (dealer's fault), and I asked them to do the 600 mile service since it was there.

I got the bike there at 2 PM on Friday. After waiting until Saturday afternoon (about 3 PM), I finally called them to see what was up. They said that they couldn't find the new fairing. It was there in the computer, but not there physically. I said fine, whatever, and asked about the 600 mile service. They said that they were doing it right then and it should be done soon.

So I wait until Saturday night, and no call. I wait until Sunday afternoon, and call them up again. They say that they haven't been calling because the number they were calling wasn't right, which is stupid because both the parts and sales departments have the correct number. They said that the service was done, and that they had to re-order my new fairing.

So I get there and I tell the guy that I was very dissatisfied that it took two days to do a service that should only take 1.5 hours. It seems to me like they just let the bike sit for a day and then took their sweet time doing the service. The guy kept trying to give excuses, which made me even more angry. Why make an appointment for 2 PM if the service guys aren't even going to work on it for several hours or even the next day?? And then they never contacted me at any time regarding the delays. And then they had to reorder my fairing. And then they didn't even clean my bike very well, if at all. He didn't even say sorry for the trouble, and I didn't get any discount all the crap they put me through. I could have been riding my bike all weekend instead of having it sit in the dealer's service lot. What a bunch of BS.

I don't know what kind of experience others have had there, but I've had nothing but problems there. The sales manager made me pay over MSRP for my bike because it was "the last one in the Western U.S.". The parts people have the worst organization. When I picked up my gear it took them a half hour to find everything, and they still couldn't find my jacket, which they found a week later. And then this whole crap with the service department...

I'm never going there again. I've always hated dealer service departments, but this really pisses me off. Even the last time I took my BMW car for service, it sat for 7 hours before they worked on it. I swear.....I just want to blow up. I do my own services on my car, and I guess I will have to start doing it on my bike too.



edit: I was just thinking... They never called me to tell me that the fairing was even in. I had to call THEM and ask if the fairing was in...

Last edited by funkeycold; 09-26-2004 at 10:28 PM.
funkeycold is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:03 PM
Official SBN Party Pooper
 
Rascus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: CO Springs
Age: 43
Posts: 20,262
Thanks: 8
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
   
I would have expected them to call you to at least say "hey the service is done, but we won't be able to get the fairing in. If you want come get the bike and we'll call you when it comes in" I think they assumed you wouldn't mind waiting to get the fairing.

Did you make it clear that you would take the bike even if they couldn't get the fairing in time?

U.S. Navy Veteran

Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. Wear your gear!!!
Rascus is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 371
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Yes. When I called them on Saturday, I said that if they couldn't find the fairing, that was fine. The dealer is fixing the fairing for free, so if they needed to re-order it, I'm not going to mind. The current fairing only has a small crack. I explicity told him to call me when the service was finished though.

Last edited by funkeycold; 09-26-2004 at 10:15 PM.
funkeycold is offline  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:28 PM
Hardass!
 
beowulf2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Antonio,TX
Posts: 8,085
Thanks: 111
Thanked 410 Times in 248 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
 
Whenever someone does something for free, they tend to take more time than needed.
Odd isnt it.
beowulf2k is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 371
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
But I paid for the 600 mile service. They never even did the free fairing repair because the part wasn't even there!
funkeycold is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Official SBN Party Pooper
 
Rascus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: CO Springs
Age: 43
Posts: 20,262
Thanks: 8
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
   
If you told them to call you after the service is done and they didn't then that's something to let the manager know.

U.S. Navy Veteran

Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. Wear your gear!!!
Rascus is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 371
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
They said that number they were calling kept going to a person who didn't speak English and we all speak English at my house.
funkeycold is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 10:58 PM
World 500 GP Champion
 
21 natas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: san antonio texas
Age: 19
Posts: 10,767
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
here to get a bike serviced by the dealer you usually have to drop the bike off a day before your appointment then maybe just maybe the bike will be finished on your appointment date, don't count on it though. Oh and you usually have to make an appoinment a couple of weeks to a month in advance at some dealers.

2006 R6 blue-the faster color; akra. exhaust, fender elim. tinted screen, pc, and other cosmetic goodies etc.etc. :eek::bowdown :boink
21 natas is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 01:26 AM
i ride sideways
 
brentsR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: dfw
Age: 34
Posts: 1,525
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkeycold
Cliff Notes: The service department at Renton Motorcycles (in Renton, WA) sucks terribly (Terrible isn't even a bad enough word...).

I took my bike in to get it's cracked fairing fixed (dealer's fault), and I asked them to do the 600 mile service since it was there.

I got the bike there at 2 PM on Friday. After waiting until Saturday afternoon (about 3 PM), I finally called them to see what was up. They said that they couldn't find the new fairing. It was there in the computer, but not there physically. I said fine, whatever, and asked about the 600 mile service. They said that they were doing it right then and it should be done soon.

So I wait until Saturday night, and no call. I wait until Sunday afternoon, and call them up again. They say that they haven't been calling because the number they were calling wasn't right, which is stupid because both the parts and sales departments have the correct number. They said that the service was done, and that they had to re-order my new fairing.

So I get there and I tell the guy that I was very dissatisfied that it took two days to do a service that should only take 1.5 hours. It seems to me like they just let the bike sit for a day and then took their sweet time doing the service. The guy kept trying to give excuses, which made me even more angry. Why make an appointment for 2 PM if the service guys aren't even going to work on it for several hours or even the next day?? And then they never contacted me at any time regarding the delays. And then they had to reorder my fairing. And then they didn't even clean my bike very well, if at all. He didn't even say sorry for the trouble, and I didn't get any discount all the crap they put me through. I could have been riding my bike all weekend instead of having it sit in the dealer's service lot. What a bunch of BS.

I don't know what kind of experience others have had there, but I've had nothing but problems there. The sales manager made me pay over MSRP for my bike because it was "the last one in the Western U.S.". The parts people have the worst organization. When I picked up my gear it took them a half hour to find everything, and they still couldn't find my jacket, which they found a week later. And then this whole crap with the service department...

I'm never going there again. I've always hated dealer service departments, but this really pisses me off. Even the last time I took my BMW car for service, it sat for 7 hours before they worked on it. I swear.....I just want to blow up. I do my own services on my car, and I guess I will have to start doing it on my bike too.



edit: I was just thinking... They never called me to tell me that the fairing was even in. I had to call THEM and ask if the fairing was in...
sounds almost exactly like the crap my buddy went through to get his coils fixed for his 03 R6. sucks man.

[CENTER][SIZE=2][COLOR=Blue][FONT=Impact]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/FONT] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER]
brentsR6 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:12 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,232
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Wow, glad I dont have to go through that? What'd you end up paying for your FZ6? Our local dealer had one and offered it to me for 6100 I believe, before taxes title ect. Had 1000 off, but I still went with my RR, which I didn't get such a good deal on. But the service Dept has never screwed me. They do little things for free for me, tire changes things like that they'll take the 10 mins put me in get it done and ready for me to get back out the door. I enjoy them and they're quite friendly, they'll give almost anyone a 10% discount and if you bought your bike there usually 20%+.
evils-03-RR is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:42 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 13,267
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
           
^^^ guys like evil are why yer bike gets pushed back... j/k evil one dont put no curse on me! LOL

Actually if you ever managed any kind of service department you would know how hard it is. The buiser it is the worse it is. Evils dealer is probably alot slower than the one you go to... just a guess. But since I been on the reciving end of the counter it can get really hard on the brain if you have loads of customers a day in.
Krazy Hawaiian is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 03:25 AM
TMK
Old school fool
 
TMK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Buffalo, NY
Age: 53
Posts: 5,720
Thanks: 10
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
   
Sorry, but I don't really sympathize with you very much. I think you had an unreasonable expectation. Most professional services require appointments - they do that for their convenience, not yours. If you don't know why, it's usually for two reasons:

First, they don't want 20 people showing up at the same time and demanding immediate service. They also don't want customers to see the people standing there waiting and get a real idea about how long they're going to have to wait. If you knew that you were 30 in line for your 2 hour service, you'd have went somewhere else. (Which sucks for customers, but that's business.)

Second, they do it so the mechanic always has another job waiting. That way they maximize his work time and get the most out of the wages they pay him. The last thing you want is your $23.00 an hour mechanic to be doing is pushing a broom.

Not calling you is not nice, but again the mechanics have other things to do than make telephone calls. If you were concerned, you'd have either waited there on Friday or gone home and then called back (which you eventually did - but not in such a timely way as to make me think you were really concerned about getting your bike back pronto)

Besides, would you want your mechanic to be more concerned about the schedule than doing their job right? They'd have to ignore, rush or just gloss over stuff to finish your bike for the next appointment. I'd rather wait the extra time and be sure the guys in the shop were doing a good job.

I also don't have a lot of sympathy for you paying too much. You chose to buy the bike and you chose to pay extra for it. If there weren't people like you who are willing to pay more for bikes, no one would pay above MSRP. But you got in a hurry, you had to have that bike right then, it was the last one on the West Coast (which was probably exciting - and probably a lie) and ponied up the cash. When you do that I don't think you have a legit gripe about the price afterwards, that's just how it goes.

On the gear, again, you continued to patronize a business you don't like. Why? There are a lot of bike shops in the Puget Sound area, find one you do like, like a smaller mom and pop store, that would value your business, and support them. These mega-dealers all suck and get everything out of you they can, but if you willingly walk into a buzz saw, I don't think complaining about it afterwards is good.

Back from vacation

Last edited by TMK; 09-27-2004 at 03:36 AM.
TMK is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 371
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkreutzer
Sorry, but I don't really sympathize with you very much. I think you had an unreasonable expectation.
Unreasonable expectation? Is it unreasonable to want my bike to be done in a decently timely manner? Is it unreasonable to want my parts to be found in 5 minutes and not a week (or even several in the case of my fairing)? I think your expectations are TOO reasonable.

Quote:
They also don't want customers to see the people standing there waiting and get a real idea about how long they're going to have to wait. If you knew that you were 30 in line for your 2 hour service, you'd have went somewhere else. (Which sucks for customers, but that's business.)
If they don't want customers to see other customers waiting for their vehicles to be done, then why do they offer waiting areas? If I knew that I was number 30 in line, I'd wonder why they didn't have more mechanics on hand to meet the demand. That shows poor planning and cost cutting on the part of the dealer, which would not sit well with most people. Also, the mechanic(s) would likely cut corners because of the huge backlog waiting for him/them. Also, if the mechanic doesn't start getting jobs done faster (i.e. cutting corners), then the backlog will continue to grow, and then management will start to get on him about not getting jobs done fast enough. And then nobody wins, except the dealership itself.

Quote:
Second, they do it so the mechanic always has another job waiting. That way they maximize his work time and get the most out of the wages they pay him. The last thing you want is your $23.00 an hour mechanic to be doing is pushing a broom.
So in other words, they work the poor mechanic to death, trying to "get the most out of the wages they pay him." If he had a time cushion, he could at least take a little bit more time and actually do a good job. But then again, if he does that, then the work piles up and he has to cut corners to bring the load down again.

But don't mechanics work on several projects at once? Yes they do. In order to "maximize efficiency," the mechanic has to work on several bikes/vehicles at the same time. But is this really the good way to do it? I don't know if anybody has studied psychology, but if you take a person from a project they are concentrating on, and all of a sudden switch him to something else, and then to something else, and so on in a big circle, the total effectiveness is lowered. For instance, if you are in school, and spend an hour in five classes each day, you are learning/remembering less than if you studied each individual subject for a whole day. This is because your mind is forced to switch between different tasks/modes, and it just messes people up. You will be subconsciously thinking about your English while you are in math class and so on. Having to switch back and forth between various bike projects in the shop will lower the total effectiveness of the mechanic's work.

So yes, they may maximize the mechanic's work time, but not necessarily his effectiveness. He will be more likely to mess things up. It may not always happen, but the risk is higher.

Quote:
Not calling you is not nice, but again the mechanics have other things to do than make telephone calls.
The mechanic wasn't the one making the calls. That's what they have service advisors for. Because like you said, making phone calls wouldn't be "maximizing" the mechanic's time.

Quote:
If you were concerned, you'd have either waited there on Friday or gone home and then called back (which you eventually did - but not in such a timely way as to make me think you were really concerned about getting your bike back pronto)
Why should I have to waste MY time to make sure the dealer is doing a good job? I thought that's what I was paying them for. I shouldn't have to wait or even call them. They should be the one's who should be calling me and letting me know how the service is going. And who are you to say/think that I'm not concerned about getting my bike back? Yes, I want my bike back, but I want it back fixed, not still taken apart in their service room. If my bike's not done, then what can I do? I have to wait. Sometimes it makes no sense to call when you know that they will just say it's not done yet.

Quote:
Besides, would you want your mechanic to be more concerned about the schedule than doing their job right? They'd have to ignore, rush or just gloss over stuff to finish your bike for the next appointment. I'd rather wait the extra time and be sure the guys in the shop were doing a good job.
But how can they do their job right if the management is pushing more work at them? If the mechanic cares about the customers, he will worry both about getting bikes done in a reasonably timely manner AND the schedule of appointments. But how do you know the guys are doing a good job in the shop? Just because it takes longer at one dealer to do services, does that mean they are doing a better job? Sorry, but no. The mechanics can just as easily do a bad job and take longer than a mechanic who does a quick, good job.

Quote:
I also don't have a lot of sympathy for you paying too much. You chose to buy the bike and you chose to pay extra for it. If there weren't people like you who are willing to pay more for bikes, no one would pay above MSRP.
If dealers weren't so greedy, THEN nobody would ever have to pay over MSRP. It's because dealers attempt to scalp so much money out of consumers that people end up paying more than they should. When I bought my bike, their first offer was $8000+TTL. That is $1500 over MSRP and not including a free repair on the damaged fairing. It's not so much the person willingly paying more, it's the dealer charging too much.

Quote:
But you got in a hurry, you had to have that bike right then, it was the last one on the West Coast (which was probably exciting - and probably a lie) and ponied up the cash. When you do that I don't think you have a legit gripe about the price afterwards, that's just how it goes.
I think their excuse was mostly a lie as well (We agree! ). But I did call every dealer in WA, OR, ID, and UT, and found none. Through numerous conversations with sales managers, other members of this forum, and other people, it seemed to be pretty accurate that the only place in the West you could find the FZ6 was in Southern California and the Eastern United States.

But that's just how it goes, huh? When you go to the store and buy something, and you go to another store and see the same thing for a lot less (not on sale, just regular price), do you think "Oh, that's just how it goes?" I'm going to assume not. Most people would at least become a little angry that they paid too much for their product when another store had offered it at a lower price. But that's just how it goes, right?

Quote:
On the gear, again, you continued to patronize a business you don't like. Why? There are a lot of bike shops in the Puget Sound area, find one you do like, like a smaller mom and pop store, that would value your business, and support them.
I bought my gear when I bought my bike because I got a 20% discount. At that time I had no idea what the dealership was truly like, except for the sales department. Later, when it came time to pick stuff up, I found out that their parts department wasn't very good. Now that I know what they are like, I plan on going somewhere else for my parts.

Quote:
These mega-dealers all suck and get everything out of you they can, but if you willingly walk into a buzz saw, I don't think complaining about it afterwards is good.
But you said that if you leave the bike/vehicle at the dealer longer, it means that they are going to do a better job... But from what you just said, dealers are just out to "get everything out of you they can." That says to me that they are going to cut corners no matter how long you leave your bike/vehicle there.

And complaining isn't good? I disagree. When people don't complain about things, then nothing will get better. Why do you think almost every business offers some sort of customer satisfaction survey? So people can complain about the bad things, and praise the good things. This allows the business to review its practices and make positive changes. But then again, businesses don't have to do anything, and the customer will be left saying "I guess that's just how it goes."

Last edited by funkeycold; 09-27-2004 at 04:22 PM.
funkeycold is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 371
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by evils-03-RR
What'd you end up paying for your FZ6? Our local dealer had one and offered it to me for 6100 I believe, before taxes title ect.
When it was all said and done, the price was $6800+TTL.

$6100 is a pretty good price. Invoice is $5800 and MSRP is $6500.
funkeycold is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 05:06 PM
World 500 GP Champion
 
bumblebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: halfway round the circle at the end of a dirt road
Age: 14
Posts: 9,600
Thanks: 295
Thanked 651 Times in 387 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
  
I had the same kind of experience here in Tally. Our Honda dealer also sells all jap. bikes and polaris. I took mine in for the 600 mile service. I made an appt. and they didn't get to it, I had to leave it overnight. When I picked it up, they had left it outside overnight in the rain. It was covered in grease and handprints, and some a$$h0!{ scratched my tank leaning over it with his belt buckle on. I called and asked for the manager. he came on the phone, I told him about my experience and that I did not appreciate having an expensive machine treated that way. His answer, "Oh well, those things happen sometimes." I have not been back since, nor will I return
bumblebee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome