Speeding Ticket - Page 6 - Sportbikes.net
General Sportbikes This area is for sport bike discussion in general. Topics that don't really belong anywhere else can go here. Questions can be answered and addressed to fully understand certain aspects of the sport. If your question is manufacturer specific please post it there.
Sponsored by: TCX Boots

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 01:32 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
And who NEEDS an automatic weapon if they just want to shoot a gun? See where this is going?
That was my point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:00 PM

I don't know how to post a picture and don't feel like learning but here:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

Later,

Nick
post #78 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutio80
You know, something like this may be the spark needed to get legislators to start passing laws targeting high performance bikes. We all admit we don't NEED bikes that can go this fast. Now maybe the government will start doing something about it.
ok while your at it.. get rid of anything that goes over 90mph.. we dont need those cars and other bikes either..
why not just make it so no car in the US will do over 70mph

sigh what the US needs is Tiered licenses like over seas.. you dont just jump on even a 600 over seas you start small and as the years go on your allowed more CCs..

post #79 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 03:00 PM

Quote:
TO answer some questions this happened about 5-6 miles south of Wabasha on 61 heading towards Winona. I haven't talked to the flood run organizers, however the officers did say they were there because they knew the event was taking place and they have had a history of "excessive speeders" on the last stretch down to Winona. And while we were on the side of the road, I would estimate 200-300 bikers passed us, but no one pulled over. And in response to Merlin509, there are some decent steches on that road, but even if my bike did do 205, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable. And the stretch down to Treasure Island you are talking about, one of my old roomates was killed on that road earlier this year.

And on the subject of this stopwatch calculation, you have to sit back and think, and believe me I have done a lot of this, about human reaction time, the fact that he was running two stop watches and flying his plane at the same time, his degree of angle on my when I crossed the hash-marks on the road, plus depth-perseption. I really do appreciate everyones feedback on this, and I will keep everyone informed.
It sounds like they had that area staked out and were waiting for you. I guess I'm not surprised that nobody pulled over, but there must have been others ticketed out of a group that large.

I'm sorry to hear about your roommate. I'll keep that in mind when I ride that stretch. It's long and straight, but there is sometimes traffic and debris on the road.

Where do you find out about these bike tours? Is there a website that has local tours posted?

Thanks and good luck.
post #80 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 03:19 PM
what R you lookin' at?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

you think Gillette will keep sponsoring this event w/ antics like this on the record?

btw, good going, to giving sportbiking another black mark w/ the reg. public.......like we need any more.

'14 GROM 125cc's of FURY!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory- Sold
'09 Suzuki SFV-Sold
'08 Busa- Sold
'00 VFR - Sold

Last edited by RACER X; 09-23-2004 at 03:24 PM.
post #81 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 03:38 PM

Here's the Fox News version...

Minnesota Speeding Ticket May Set Record
post #82 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Speed Racer

I heard on the radio today that his ride was impounded. I'm so going to that police auction. LOL
post #83 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Official SBN Party Pooper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It made the local news out here...all the way in Hawaii

U.S. Navy Veteran

Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. Wear your gear!!!
post #84 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 07:50 PM
TMK
Old school fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSollyLama
I think some media exposure would be beneficial if only we could get the producers to be fair. Highly unlikely.
For me, the key topic of the story should be the accuracy (or lack thereof) of police 'guesstimates' of bikers speed. If the cop in a plane could be that far off with an eyeball measurement, how many other tickets given that way were invalid? If i had gotten a ticket in MN by a plane, I'd be after the cops because this episode proves the fallability of such eyeball estimates.
That should be the focus of the biker rebuttal. Cops are taking stabs at our speed and writing tickets based on pathetic guesses. No way was an RC51 without a turbo or NOS and a regearing is gonna do 205.

So while yes, it is negative press for us because of the insane speeds on a public road (hey dude, the only reason I haven't done 180 on the road is because my bike wont do it, so no bashing from me) it gives us the chance to turn it around on them. They are painfully off in the speeds they try to pin us for (using that method, we're screwed with a laser or radar).

Here in CO Springs, the city passed noise laws. But they don't want to pay for noise meters, so it's up to a cop to guess whether you're too loud, and you to somehow prove otherwise in court. Yup, you read it right. THe cop can write a ticket if he THINKS your exhaust is too loud.
Didn't know cops ears (or eyes) were calibrated by US Weights and Measures.................
You don't need my approval, but that was a great post. Very well thought out and stated. Indeed, you are worthy of your name, oh wise one.
post #85 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Good luck.Hopefully some of the people here would stop nitpicking your story.
post #86 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:26 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Good luck.Hopefully some of the people here would stop nitpicking your story.
Another board I frequent has a poster who claims to have been on the run. He says the bike was CBR1000RR. So, I don't know who to believe now.
post #87 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Ducatista

My only comment is a 2brothers pipe is not considered a "heavly modified" RC.

As far as these other pudnockers that are giving you shit about giving riders a bad name don't sweat it. Let he who is free of sin cast the first rock, we all speed and i don't want to hear that shit that "I have never done that"

Good luck, if you get a good attorney you can beat the VASCAR reading. In Florida many have beat it because it has been proven that something as small as a 10th of a second delay in reading the stop watch equals a 20 to 40 mile an hour error in the calculation. According to you he timed you and your buddy that would make his calculation way off.

Good luck!

“In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”

MLK
post #88 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:15 AM
Supersport Racer

Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame there, 205. In a couple of year, no one but you will remember. Make sure you save lots of clippings, videos, etc. You know... stuff to show the grandkids.

Your situation is kinda like how I used to play basketball: No blood, no foul!
post #89 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X
you think Gillette will keep sponsoring this event w/ antics like this on the record?

btw, good going, to giving sportbiking another black mark w/ the reg. public.......like we need any more.

Gillette doesn't "sponsor" the ride, and I'd be surprised if they were even officially invoved. It's simply a fundraising event.
post #90 of 167 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercutio80
Another board I frequent has a poster who claims to have been on the run. He says the bike was CBR1000RR. So, I don't know who to believe now.

He was on an RC51.

However, I'm sure there were a few 1000RRs on the run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in