Painted Hugger - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Painted Hugger

Okay guess it finally cleared up for this weekend and I decided to paint my hugger instead of ridding ... There is always tomorrow
Well its painted and now re-installed started bright and early this morning, still not 100% sure about it yet (too much blue maybe), give me your thoughts... ayes or nays.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugger 015 (Small).jpg
Views:	195
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	15534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugger 017 (Small).jpg
Views:	202
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	15535   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugger 020 (Small).jpg
Views:	180
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	15536   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugger 021 (Small).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	15537   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hugger 010 (Small).jpg
Views:	205
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	15538  

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FAZR6 FE Kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|Dual Light MOD
|R6 Fork MOD|R6 Calipers |LSL Sliders
|05 Black Rims|Scorpion CF Exhaust|Corbin Seat|TankSlapper
|Yamaha Lower Cowl |Clears all around W/Intergrated LED Tail Light| TCP Seat Cowl|Puig DS Screen|Painted Hugger/Front Fairing/Side Cowl/Fender|Garmin E-Trex GPS|Galfer Custom SS Lines|
|05-R6 Projector Headlight retro-fit
|Moto-Tote to get it around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Livin' on the Edge!

I vote aye!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 08:24 PM
Club Racer

Is that clearcoated as well ?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6Lovin
Is that clearcoated as well ?
Should of said what I used it was the color-rite spray paint 2 coats for color and clearcoated with about 3 coats. I also wet sanded (600 grit)the hugger and used a plastic bonding promoter.

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
|Yamaha Lower Cowl |Clears all around W/Intergrated LED Tail Light| TCP Seat Cowl|Puig DS Screen|Painted Hugger/Front Fairing/Side Cowl/Fender|Garmin E-Trex GPS|Galfer Custom SS Lines|
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Club Racer

Nice... Course I prefer red hehe

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Back Marker

That is pretty hawt. I was debating painting mine (Faster silver, sorry chumps ) glossy black or silver. You have inspired me to do so if I ever get around to ordering that paint/clearcoat. Thinking about Silver hugger glossy black chain guard, who knows

Last edited by Hagrunimar; 09-11-2004 at 09:41 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 09:54 PM
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTVa
Should of said what I used it was the color-rite spray paint 2 coats for color and clearcoated with about 3 coats. I also wet sanded (600 grit)the hugger and used a plastic bonding promoter.
did u wet sand after painting with 1000+ grit? also if u use a buffer compound (go from rough to soft), it gets rid of the orange peel
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRn__
did u wet sand after painting with 1000+ grit? also if u use a buffer compound (go from rough to soft), it gets rid of the orange peel
Actually color-rite does says in there instructions to not sand between the color coats prior to clear coats, so no I did as the instructions said no sanding between coats. There site has the directions avaliable if you want to look through them also they recomend no waxing for a few weeks, so not to sure about putting a buffer to it yet
I will say the finish is not bad for a backyard job could of been better if done in a paint both by a profesional but hey its was a can of paint so I am happy with the out come. The color match and finish I can live with, plus you can hardly see it tucked way under the bike.

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Sportbike.net junkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Awsome!!

tooshort
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 11:26 PM
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTVa
Actually color-rite does says in there instructions to not sand between the color coats prior to clear coats.
no, sorry, i didnt say what i meant. lol

after the clear is dry and everythingm to get the finish almost a perfect smooth (like as in showroom/stock paint jobs), u wet sand the clear coat (dont sand through it, just enough to get rid of the "shininess"). this gets rid of the imperfections from the sprayed clear coat (scuffs/orange peel/etc). then to bring back the reflictivity, you gradually increase ur buffer pad just like when u sand (start with rough and work your way up). this brings out the shine that the clear coat is known for.

trust me, i was the b*tch at a body shop i worked at and i did almost all the sanding while the painters just painted
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuRn__
no, sorry, i didnt say what i meant. lol

after the clear is dry and everythingm to get the finish almost a perfect smooth (like as in showroom/stock paint jobs), u wet sand the clear coat (dont sand through it, just enough to get rid of the "shininess"). this gets rid of the imperfections from the sprayed clear coat (scuffs/orange peel/etc). then to bring back the reflictivity, you gradually increase ur buffer pad just like when u sand (start with rough and work your way up). this brings out the shine that the clear coat is known for.

trust me, i was the b*tch at a body shop i worked at and i did almost all the sanding while the painters just painted
So thats the secret to a smoother look
Thx

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 01:26 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Looks great. I might give it a shot.

FZ6 Mods:
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Update..

Well went and got a few new PICS today while I was out riding and also wanted to say the paints holding up great so far no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ6 038 (Small).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	17218   Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ6 039 (Small).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	17219   Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ6 040 (Small).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	17220   Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ6 043 (Small).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	17221  

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
SBN Rookie

Looks great, nice work. Has anybody got a TCP Aero Hugger kit? I'm up here in Vancouver Canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in