Matris Steeting Dampner review - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Matris Steeting Damper review

I finally got mine and it is now on the bike, takes about 10 minutes to install, really easy, looks pretty good to boot. As for function, I didn't get on the hiway yet but I did ride a bit around town and I really like it, I have it on the second setting, very light dampening and I still feel a real effect. If you are stopped and try and move the bars you feel no difference, but riding is a different story the bike feels more straightline stable, more locked on rails, not that it will not turn or lean that is still the same, just less shaking from wind and less vibration from the road. Some of the more advanced riders might feel they lost a bit of road feedback, but I am not the most advanced rider and to me it feels safer. I can relate one real experience that will show part of the effect of the dampner. Normally I have a habit of pulling in the clutch and hiting the throttle fast just to hear the sound of the engine while coasting. Normally there is a vibration from side to side as the engine does its thing, it sort of feels that the bike shifts from side to side. With the dampner this almost dissapears.
End result, spend the money, it is worth it.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:52 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi
I finally got mine and it is now on the bike, takes about 10 minutes to install, really easy, looks pretty good to boot. As for function, I didn't get on the hiway yet but I did ride a bit around town and I really like it, I have it on the second setting, very light dampening and I still feel a real effect. If you are stopped and try and move the bars you feel no difference, but riding is a different story the bike feels more straightline stable, more locked on rails, not that it will not turn or lean that is still the same, just less shaking from wind and less vibration from the road. Some of the more advanced riders might feel they lost a bit of road feedback, but I am not the most advanced rider and to me it feels safer. I can relate one real experience that will show part of the effect of the dampner. Normally I have a habit of pulling in the clutch and hiting the throttle fast just to hear the sound of the engine while coasting. Normally there is a vibration from side to side as the engine does its thing, it sort of feels that the bike shifts from side to side. With the dampner this almost dissapears.
End result, spend the money, it is worth it.
Where did you order it from and how much was it?

Thanks
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

Two Brothers, 430 roughly.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Supersport Racer

What is the Part Number?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

I do not remember but it is the only one for the 04 FZ6
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Supersport Racer

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Back Marker

Cavi, thanks alot for the pix and info on the Matris.
Questions for you:
1. I assume there are no clearance problems with the handlebars turned full left or right?
2. It looks like a bracket mounts onto the 2 front tank mtg. bolts, correct? 3. Would you post some more likes/ dislikes after getting more road miles with the damper? I'm still struggling with the cost vs. benefits issue before ordering one.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 12:16 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Justifying a damper

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkins
I'm still struggling with the cost vs. benefits issue before ordering one.
Are you experiencing head shake? If not, don't waste your cash on a damper, unless you're just into bling thing.

Just my two cents.

=============
JimE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Back Marker

No head shake. I know some bikes are prone to it, but so far it doesn't sound like the FZ6 is one. Some guys have stated that a damper is worth it's weight in gold if you ever get a tank slapper going. I guess I'm waiting to hear some definate advantages for having a damper.... given that my bike probably won't see any track days.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

I had head shake with the larger yam windshield, but not with the puig I use now, and the little wind shake has been greatly diminished. As for riding, still not much on the freeway but lots of city riding in heavy wind, and the dampner made a major difference, I had heavy side winds and normally the front was not as rock solid in wind, it is now!!!
Answers: no clearance problems, and full lock is no problem, there is actually space on the dampner for more if it was possible
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 08:58 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'd definitely throw this mod on the bike if it weren't for the price. $430 is pretty steep and I haven't seen many dampers less. I noticed some front end wobble in heavy wind or bumpy roads and I think this would help.

Last edited by ZeuSeason; 01-24-2005 at 10:45 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2004, 09:31 AM
SBN Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkins
No head shake. I know some bikes are prone to it, but so far it doesn't sound like the FZ6 is one. Some guys have stated that a damper is worth it's weight in gold if you ever get a tank slapper going. I guess I'm waiting to hear some definate advantages for having a damper.... given that my bike probably won't see any track days.
I`ve been a fan of using a damper since I mounted one on my RZ500. On the FZ6 I`m not sure about yet,it`s almost broken-in so I`ve not been able to exercise it fully. Has anyone tried hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear on a very bumpy road? That should prove if the FZ needs one but so far I`d say no, the bike feels quite planted and solid even in dirty air around truck traffic at 130-140Kmh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in