First Track Day and Track/Race School - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

First Track Day and Track/Race School

I am thinking real hard about doing a track school early this summer at Talladega Ed Bargy Racing and maybe a trackday or two before then at No Problem Raceway ( Tiger Track Days ) in Louisiana http://www.tigertrackdays.com/main/Index.asp

I have read different posts about bike prep,leathers,etc. However, I would like some input from the infamous wealth of information that can be found on this forum. All help and feedback would be appreciated. Here we go..

1.Leathers - I would prefer a two piece for versatility between street and track vs. one piece. What do you guys/girls think?

2. Shopping for leathers -How about some recommendations on brand of leathers and websites that carry good selection with good prices? I have looked at nforza and newenough(Teknic). Others?

3.Track Prep -Though different tracks have different bike prep requirements I have heard that there is such a thing as "track day prep kits for bikes" to cover oil fill cap,etc. Is there one for the FZ6?

Any other suggestions? All welcome since I will be a track newbie... Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 PM
I like curves.

2 piece is a good choice i think, theres kneedraggers, cyclegear, motorcycle superstore, ridegear you can look at ..

i want to do a track day myself, maybe in summer maybe next year..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ducksridingbikes; 03-24-2008 at 11:37 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 PM
Saratogian

I prefer a one-piece but like any gear decision, it's a personal choice. that being said, quality 2 pieces are very well made these days.

SHIFT makes some affordable 2 pieces. check out sportbiketrackgear.com for lots of good stuff.

you don't need a kit. all you need is painters tape and if you want, safety wire.

check out trackdaymag.com too

I demand pictures.

NESBA #264

Quote:
Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 AM
500 GP Racer

Here is a link for the leathers I got. Good price and decent fit.

Buy Motorcycle Racing Suit, Leather Pants, Motorcycle Jackets and Biker Jackets

2005 FZ6(Faster Silver of course), Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet, ICON MIL-SPEC Vest, FAZR6's Fender Eliminator Kit, Painted windscreen.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterMaddox View Post
Here is a link for the leathers I got. Good price and decent fit.

Buy Motorcycle Racing Suit, Leather Pants, Motorcycle Jackets and Biker Jackets
Thanks Chester and Defy...

Chester...I went and looked at that site. All looks decent but I am sure that is Chinese ( or something )knock-off leathers. Not saying it is not worth the money or value. However, how long have you had yours? What is quality of stitching,leather, perfs,padding,etc. Also, has anyone else out there bought any of these leathers from that company. If so, feedback on quality/fit would be appreciated.

Defy, when I make a decision and receive product I will post link/pics and my thoughts on product.

Thanks again guys....

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
500 GP Racer

I have had my leathers for about six months, however just after I got them I deployed to Iraq and since I got back I have only worn the jacket portion of the leathers. My only complaints I have are the liner in the sleeves is kind of loose fitting therefore I have to move the padding into place after I put the jacket on. Also on the collar they use velcro as a closure and the velcro was uncomfortable enough that I am going to have it removed and either replaced with a snap or just left off entirely. The jacket fits well and the two pieces zip together with no problems. I think they are worth the price you pay for especially for a no frills product.

2005 FZ6(Faster Silver of course), Scorpion EXO-400 Helmet, ICON MIL-SPEC Vest, FAZR6's Fender Eliminator Kit, Painted windscreen.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 10:43 PM
I dunno

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Saratogian

I meant pictures of you at the track! Action shots...LOL!

check out apexjunkie.com too

NESBA #264

Quote:
Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
I meant pictures of you at the track! Action shots...LOL!
LMAO...Man... I don't know about that...My first track day!? That may be some embarrassing pictures! We'll see though...It's a month or two away. Got to get leathers and then I am gonna put 1kg racetech springs and new oil in forks before going.

This is what I am gettinfg for leathers.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/d...g.php?id=23544

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/d...g.php?id=16452

Last edited by southernFZ6; 03-26-2008 at 10:28 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:31 PM
Saratogian

Good choice on the gear but are those going to zip together all the way around? The zippers are compatible?

About the pictures, there will likely be professional photogs there so you'll have no choice...your pictures will be on the internet! Just get out there and enjoy yourself.

NESBA #264

Quote:
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
Good choice on the gear but are those going to zip together all the way around? The zippers are compatible?

About the pictures, there will likely be professional photogs there so you'll have no choice...your pictures will be on the internet! Just get out there and enjoy yourself.
Yeah, I looked at the JR Blaster leather pants ( for matching to jacket ) but the Chicanes look like a much better pant and they are cheaper. They both say 360. If they will not work together I will take to an alteration shop and have them put in zipper to match up in either pant or jacket. Customer service said they may match but doubtful.

+1 on enjoying myself...I may be going slow but it will be fun I am sure of it!! THANKS!!!

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernFZ6 View Post
Yeah, I looked at the JR Blaster leather pants ( for matching to jacket ) but the Chicanes look like a much better pant and they are cheaper. They both say 360. If they will not work together I will take to an alteration shop and have them put in zipper to match up in either pant or jacket. Customer service said they may match but doubtful.
Let me know how that works out for you. I'm looking to step up from textile so I can attend some track days this year. Need some cheaper leather though. Probably going to get the pants from my g/f (that sounds a little weird) and will have to buy the jacket myself.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjm1024 View Post
Let me know how that works out for you. I'm looking to step up from textile so I can attend some track days this year.
Will do jjm...It will actually be a month or so til I get to my first track day. However,I will post up some feedback on my leathers after I receive them.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 12:59 PM
World Superbike Champion

southern,

if you don't already have a jacket that's a good choice however if you already have one I'd go with a one peice... I got my teknic chicane for $299 and full gautlet gloves, all for $340 shipped. Next I'd goto STG and get the remaning gear like undersuit, back protector and oxtar TCS boots
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2008, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deznuts05 View Post
southern,

if you don't already have a jacket that's a good choice however if you already have one I'd go with a one peice... I got my teknic chicane for $299 and full gautlet gloves, all for $340 shipped. Next I'd goto STG and get the remaning gear like undersuit, back protector and oxtar TCS boots
Thanks Dez..... I purchased the 2-piece suit. I saw the Chicane 1-piece and could have gotten it a bit cheaper. I just wanted the flexibility of being able to wear on street too. Pants or Jacket or both. At this point I will ony be able to track 2-3 times a season anyway....money ya know....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in