Givi Luggage (or any other hard luggage) discussion - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Givi Luggage (or any other hard luggage) discussion

so i did my dutiful search of the forum and turned up sporadic pics of different givi luggage. there are a lot threads about mounting them and the problems that seem to be inherent there.

so here is my situation. i want to start touring more with my girlfriend. i have a set of soft luggage, but it all mounts over the passenger seat. so i want to get some hard luggage so that we both can travel comfortably with enough space to bring what we need.

so please post up pics with your hard luggage on the bike and post what size they are, because i don't want humongous luggage. i've been looking at the givi v35 (i think that is what it is called) with some sort of topcase. i also need to know if passengers can ride comfortably with the luggage that you have.

any givi alternatives are more than welcome as well.

please discuss away.

Words of advice learned through experience:

1. Protection pays off
2. BEWARE THE DAMN GRAVEL!

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 AM

I want to keep my eye on this thread as well. It will be interesteing to see what people post.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Wildcat Fanatic

I've got the V46 topcase and love it. When you first see it, you think it's going to be HUGE on the back of the bike, but once it's on there, it's perfect. You can also change the color of the lid to match your bike.

As far as sidecases go, I recently purchased the Givi sidecase racks from another member on here and am planning on getting the E21 hard sidecases. I like them because they're big enough to hold stuff for a trip, but don't make the bike so wide that it's weird looking.

A good place to look that has lots of pictures of the different cases offered actually mounted is RL Motorcycles - Home Page and then click on the "motorcycle accessories" link. Most of the pictures are of the cases mounted on a Vstrom, but it'll give you a good idea of what they might look like installed.

My bike with V46 installed:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 106961.jpg
Views:	3188
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	149619  

Last edited by CCHOUSEKY; 01-30-2008 at 08:00 AM.

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Wildcat Fanatic

More pics from RL Motorcycles - Home Page :
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dl-e35.gif
Views:	522
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	149620   Click image for larger version

Name:	dl-e45.gif
Views:	694
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	149621   Click image for larger version

Name:	dl-e52.gif
Views:	434
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	149622   Click image for larger version

Name:	dl-v46.gif
Views:	399
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	149623  
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Wildcat Fanatic

E21 sidecases:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E21 SIDECASES.JPG
Views:	2071
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	149624   Click image for larger version

Name:	V46 TOPCASE E21 SIDECASES.jpg
Views:	2086
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	149625  
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Squidly Tendencies ...

on the top case, go big or go home, an e52 and a e45 really aren't that dif on the size standpoint, couple of extra inches isn't going to change the look of your bike BUT it will give you that 7L more space to put stuff into...
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM
World Superbike Champion

I also recommend going big. Mine's the E52 bought from RL Motorcycles. One piece of advice is don't bother buying the backrest pad. It turns out that it pushes the passenger too far forward, so save the $50. However, I do recommend the case's brakelight kit since the Givi rack hides the FZ's brakelight a bit too much for my taste.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FZ6 left rear.JPG
Views:	3918
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	149627  

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]2004 Faster Blue FZ6 [/COLOR] [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] FAZR6 FE [COLOR=Cyan]| [/COLOR] LSL Sliders [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Dual Headlight Mod [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Givi Maxia E52 Topcase [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Corbin Seat [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Hi-Beam Switched Garage Opener [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Priority Plus Rear Turn Signals [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Kisan Headlight Modulator [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Euro Blue Pod Lights [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Stebel 139db Air Horn [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Autocom Pro-7 Audio Mixer [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Cortech Super-Mini Magnetic Tankbag [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] ContiRoadAttack Tires [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Puig Blue Windscreen [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Silverstar Bulbs [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] SW-MOTECH Barbacks [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Hepco Becker Lowered Passenger Pegs [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] ThrottleMeister [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]Farkles:[/COLOR] [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Xact Visor Sirius Radio [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Garmin eTrex Vista C GPS [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] BEL RX65 Radar Detector [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Audiovox GMRS500SLK Transceiver [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] SanDisk Sansa e130 MP3 Player [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Samsung i500 Palmphone [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Blue]Gear:[/COLOR][COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Nolan N102 Helmet [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] JR Reactor Jacket [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] JR Alter Ego Pants [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] JR Replacement CE Armor [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] Diadora Hurricane Boots [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR] JR Phoenix 2 Gloves [COLOR=Cyan]|[/COLOR][/SIZE]
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Saratogian

The top case makes 2up touring much nicer...it doubles as a sissy bar. EDIT - no need for the backpad as mentioned by Jim...if your lady is wearing back protection she'll be very comfortable without it.

Mine is a Kappa case that fits with a Givi rack...I'm not sure of the size but it's big.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ang & Nate on bike.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	149633   Click image for larger version

Name:	RA memorial day - resize.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	149634  

:headbang NESBA #264

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=CanadianFZ6;3670873]Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....[/QUOTE]

Last edited by DefyInertia; 01-30-2008 at 09:04 AM.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:29 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I tour 2-up and the 52 litre top case is real nice. It is not too big. It makes a great backrest and like Jim said, the backrest pad is not needed. Between the topcase and my large expandable tankbag, I do not have a need for my side bags.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCP_3991.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	149640  

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Umbrella Girl

Awesome... I'm in the same boat. REady to buy a hard case.

Thanks for the posts.

Mods: Scorpion Exhaust, Yamaha Tank Pad, Puig Racing Windscreen, FS6 Sliders, FAZER6's FE Kit
post #11 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Umbrella Girl

Does anyone have any pics with their Cases loaded up (and open)?

Mods: Scorpion Exhaust, Yamaha Tank Pad, Puig Racing Windscreen, FS6 Sliders, FAZER6's FE Kit
post #12 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Myk

I have been looking into luggage for awhile aswell. I went through the whole "Show us Your Bike" thread to get a look at some real pic's of various luggage. I went to many other sites in search of the perfect luggage for me. I want to do some solo touring, and some 2-up touring. After all the looking, I came back to my original plan. v35 Side bags, and a v46 top case.
I still have a couple questions tho.
Is there still leg/foot room for the passenger with the v35 bags on?
Does the givi topcase rack work together with the sw-motech quick lock side racks for the v35's?

Anyone know?

TwistedThrottle.com : SW-MOTECH Quick-Lock Contour Carrier for Givi V35 PLX cases (Yamaha FZ6 S2 Fazer, '07-) - KFT.06.348.150
TwistedThrottle.com : Givi Topcase Rack (Yamaha FZ6, '04-'07) - Givi FZ351

ps. thanks for the heads-up on the backrest, you saved me $50 for sure.
post #13 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Umbrella Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myk View Post
I have been looking into luggage for awhile aswell. I went through the whole "Show us Your Bike" thread to get a look at some real pic's of various luggage. I went to many other sites in search of the perfect luggage for me. I want to do some solo touring, and some 2-up touring. After all the looking, I came back to my original plan. v35 Side bags, and a v46 top case.
I still have a couple questions tho.
Is there still leg/foot room for the passenger with the v35 bags on?
Does the givi topcase rack work together with the sw-motech quick lock side racks for the v35's?

Anyone know?
Dunno for the sw-motech v35, but i have the Givi Topcase rack with the sw-motech quick lock side rack(Monokey) and they work great. They only share one mount point.

You can always check the mounting instruction to get a idea if they would play well together.
post #14 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 11:00 AM
World Superbike Champion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Here's my thread on the subject, you might find it useful. https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6...tion-help.html

On my cross country trip https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6...ntry-trip.html I was able to hold everything I needed with these cases. In DC someone tried to break into them when I was camping and got nowhere.
post #15 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

thanks for the posts.

how does the bike handle with all the extra wind resistance and weight?
also are there any alternatives to givi? (possibly less expensive)

Words of advice learned through experience:

1. Protection pays off
2. BEWARE THE DAMN GRAVEL!

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in