Givi Luggage (or any other hard luggage) discussion - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 06:26 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlloyd View Post
thanks for the posts.

how does the bike handle with all the extra wind resistance and weight?
also are there any alternatives to givi? (possibly less expensive)

My Fz6 does not handle any different, since the trunk has been added. The extra weight is no different than my side bags fully loaded. It was not a problem.

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Saratogian

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsport View Post
My Fz6 does not handle any different, since the trunk has been added. The extra weight is no different than my side bags fully loaded. It was not a problem.
+1 It'll wheelie a little better if you really try but other than that it's minimal.

KAPPA makes interchangeable parts! See my first post in this thread.

:headbang NESBA #264

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=CanadianFZ6;3670873]Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....[/QUOTE]
post #18 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:16 PM
SuperBike Champion

Overall which ones has a better balancing effect on the geometry and C.G. - side or top case? I guess the side cases. I have been contemplating either of those but not both. Wondering which one would be the best bet?

:00wsb
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"] [B][COLOR="black"]07 Raven FZ1 [/COLOR][COLOR="Red"](May 06 2009)[/COLOR][/B] Penske 8983|HyperPro Damper|HEL SS,EBC XPro Pads|ASV Shorties|SM Bars|Micron Full System|Lars AB|BMC|Roth VS, AIE|FCE|CD Flies|PC3, IM|Arao EXUP Elim,Shelf|BlindSpot's Anti-kink Fuel Line Mod
CF Chin Cowl|PB CF Hugger|CNC Gas Cap|Red Bits|T-Rex Frame, Axle Sliders|Targa FE,Tank Pad|Sargent Seat|Short Puig DB|Satan666 Hwy Pegs|TechSpec Tank Grips|Rearsets Stiffened|FZ6 pegs|Powerlet|Heated Grips|HIDs|Integrated Taillight|Proton Flushmounts
[B][COLOR="black"]06 Black FZ6:[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"](July 29 2007)[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="Black"][B]SOLD![/B][/COLOR] R6S Forks,Speedbleeders,SS Lines,HH Sintered Brake Pads|15T,Speedohealer v3|K&N|Puig Light Smoke Racing|06 FZ1 Bar|Axle Sliders|FE|Powerlet|Dual Headlight Mod (White)|F/R Arrow Signals|Pod Light Mod|Fiamm HB Lo Tone|Reflective Frame Decals|BT-016[/COLOR][/SIZE]

post #19 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 07:23 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
Overall which ones has a better balancing effect on the geometry and C.G. - side or top case? I guess the side cases. I have been contemplating either of those but not both. Wondering which one would be the best bet?
To do wheelies as Defy mentions, I have to have the topcase fully loaded for it make wheelies easier. BTW, My bike has stock gearing. Overall though the bike rides as if the topcase was not even back there.

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra
post #20 of 68 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 08:06 PM
Saratogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsport View Post
Overall though the bike rides as if the topcase was not even back there.
+1 I don't like the idea of being wide...it's a motorcycle! There are quite a few other side benefits to a top case as well. Some people just prefer saddlebags...

:headbang NESBA #264

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=CanadianFZ6;3670873]Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....[/QUOTE]
post #21 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

well i read the thread that was poster earlier, that was great info.

i want to do all three, but i also want to be able to remove the mounting without too much hassle. it will be expensive, but it will be worth the storage space and comfort of hard luggage that is lockable (not to mention a backrest for the woman)

is there is better to buy givi than another? all the prices seem to be the same where.

Words of advice learned through experience:

1. Protection pays off
2. BEWARE THE DAMN GRAVEL!

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams
post #22 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wish....

I have the same cool looking Yamaha rack that Jen has, and it takes a Givi Monolock case, but I haven't bought one yet.

I wish that somebody made an angular looking box that fit, as the round lines on the Givi boxes don't compliment the lines of our sexy FZ6.

Here's a Aprilia rack, but I'm guessing it's just a rebadged givi:
AF1 Racing : Aprilia Parts and Accessories: Tail Box For Caponord

I'll probably just end up with a big stinkin' E52, E470, E450. I just wish there was an angular looking topcase that didn't hurt the appearance of the FZ6 so much.

=============
JimE

post #23 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Dirty Sanchez

Quote:
i've been looking at the givi v35 (i think that is what it is called) with some sort of topcase. i also need to know if passengers can ride comfortably with the luggage that you have.
that's what i've got, along with the v45 topcase:

Name:  1523898101_3a8b330418.jpeg
Views: 6406
Size:  164.4 KB

i've sat back there and the cases don't get in the way, actually, the topcase makes a great backrest.

apor

"Those who sacrifice freedom in the name of security deserve neither." :bitchslap
post #24 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 AM
World Superbike Racer

So how difficult is it to mount the Givi topcase mounts? Where do they bolt in? Is this a rough job for an apartment-dwelling, relatively mechanical noob?

: And what's the difference/advantage of the monolock vs monokey?

Last edited by marke14; 02-01-2008 at 02:08 AM.
post #25 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:45 AM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marke14 View Post
So how difficult is it to mount the Givi topcase mounts? Where do they bolt in? Is this a rough job for an apartment-dwelling, relatively mechanical noob?

I had no difficulty with the top case rack... took about an hour to do... It's pretty easy. I think the side racks would be about the same, however you do have to re-locate the turn signals (I believe)....

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Lime"]"Very well. I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them".[/COLOR][/SIZE]
post #26 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 AM
Wildcat Fanatic

The topcase mounts aren't THAT hard to install. You just have to exercise patience when removing some of the bolts that you're required to remove, as they can be hard to access. But once you've got the rack on there, it's amazing how sturdy it is. It doesn't move, wiggle, or otherwise have ANY free play.

The front of the arms bolt in under the side pods next to the seat. Then there's a bracket (the hardest part of the install IMO) that goes around the exhaust cover and it has mounting points higher up and further back on the side of the bike. That's pretty much it. It's a well thought-out design.

IMO...you wouldn't want to do this in the parking lot of an apartment just because you'll have so many bolts to keep track of. But you could try it.

Read this for info on the difference between Monolock/Monokey. RL Motorcycles - Givi cases Btw, go with the Monokey. You'll thank me later.
post #27 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 AM
World Superbike Champion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
thanks for the posts.

how does the bike handle with all the extra wind resistance and weight?
also are there any alternatives to givi? (possibly less expensive)
I've never noticed the wind, at 135 I felt a little wobble that went away at 130, but it wasn't bad enough for me to figure out what was causing it (I think things were loaded unevenly.)

The weight is noticeable at slow speeds when you have them loaded up (I probably have 120-150 pounds behind me when I got camping) but you quickly get used to it.

If there are alternatives to GIVI, they aren't as sturdy.
post #28 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:05 AM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBiker View Post
When I ride with just my top case I don't even know it's there, if that helps.
post #29 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:07 AM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marke14 View Post

If you look at the link I posted above there are some install notes listed. I'd say it's a good project for a Saturday morning.

Monolock is for scooters, I would highly suggest you get monokey as well.
post #30 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:08 AM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFZ6 View Post
I had no difficulty with the top case rack... took about an hour to do... It's pretty easy. I think the side racks would be about the same, however you do have to re-locate the turn signals (I believe)....
I know the SW-MOTECH side racks come with the stuff to move the turn signals, they work well, making them easier to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in