FZ6 Gas Tank - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-12-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

FZ6 Gas Tank

I'm wanting to remove the gas tank from my bike to get it repainted. Does the gas tank need to be empty to remove it from the bike? Or can there be fuel in it and it not leak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 AM
Mr Crash :(

!

You can remove it anytime, but it's better to have as little gas in it as possible... have a couple of rags ready for some spillage

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 02:21 AM
SuperBike Champion

Removing the fuel pump is a big PITA. I just replaced my tank today and I had to cut/file the plastic extension used to arrest the movement of the pump in order to pull it out. It took me almost a hour to take the pump out.

:00wsb
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"] [B][COLOR="black"]07 Raven FZ1 [/COLOR][COLOR="Red"](May 06 2009)[/COLOR][/B] Penske 8983|HyperPro Damper|HEL SS,EBC XPro Pads|ASV Shorties|SM Bars|Micron Full System|Lars AB|BMC|Roth VS, AIE|FCE|CD Flies|PC3, IM|Arao EXUP Elim,Shelf|BlindSpot's Anti-kink Fuel Line Mod
CF Chin Cowl|PB CF Hugger|CNC Gas Cap|Red Bits|T-Rex Frame, Axle Sliders|Targa FE,Tank Pad|Sargent Seat|Short Puig DB|Satan666 Hwy Pegs|TechSpec Tank Grips|Rearsets Stiffened|FZ6 pegs|Powerlet|Heated Grips|HIDs|Integrated Taillight|Proton Flushmounts
[B][COLOR="black"]06 Black FZ6:[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"](July 29 2007)[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="Black"][B]SOLD![/B][/COLOR] R6S Forks,Speedbleeders,SS Lines,HH Sintered Brake Pads|15T,Speedohealer v3|K&N|Puig Light Smoke Racing|06 FZ1 Bar|Axle Sliders|FE|Powerlet|Dual Headlight Mod (White)|F/R Arrow Signals|Pod Light Mod|Fiamm HB Lo Tone|Reflective Frame Decals|BT-016[/COLOR][/SIZE]

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 10:29 AM

She doesn't need to remove the fuel pump to get it painted... it's very easy to remove the tank itself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:59 AM
SuperBike Champion

For painting, still I think its a good idea. Its really a bad idea to keep the pump as there is the delicate intake spout sticking out which makes it dangerous to place the tank on ground.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"] [B][COLOR="black"]07 Raven FZ1 [/COLOR][COLOR="Red"](May 06 2009)[/COLOR][/B] Penske 8983|HyperPro Damper|HEL SS,EBC XPro Pads|ASV Shorties|SM Bars|Micron Full System|Lars AB|BMC|Roth VS, AIE|FCE|CD Flies|PC3, IM|Arao EXUP Elim,Shelf|BlindSpot's Anti-kink Fuel Line Mod
CF Chin Cowl|PB CF Hugger|CNC Gas Cap|Red Bits|T-Rex Frame, Axle Sliders|Targa FE,Tank Pad|Sargent Seat|Short Puig DB|Satan666 Hwy Pegs|TechSpec Tank Grips|Rearsets Stiffened|FZ6 pegs|Powerlet|Heated Grips|HIDs|Integrated Taillight|Proton Flushmounts
[B][COLOR="black"]06 Black FZ6:[/COLOR][COLOR="Red"](July 29 2007)[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR="Black"][B]SOLD![/B][/COLOR] R6S Forks,Speedbleeders,SS Lines,HH Sintered Brake Pads|15T,Speedohealer v3|K&N|Puig Light Smoke Racing|06 FZ1 Bar|Axle Sliders|FE|Powerlet|Dual Headlight Mod (White)|F/R Arrow Signals|Pod Light Mod|Fiamm HB Lo Tone|Reflective Frame Decals|BT-016[/COLOR][/SIZE]
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 PM

Yeah I know what you mean... but I`ve had 2 tanks painted and both had the pump still in there

As long as you don't drop the tank on the fuel pump hose you're fine. I personally think the risks of breaking the pump are higher if you try to remove it from the tank (such a PITA), as opposed to leaving it in.

Last edited by wavex; 01-13-2008 at 12:10 PM.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:10 PM
The Flying Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazergirl View Post
I'm wanting to remove the gas tank from my bike to get it repainted. Does the gas tank need to be empty to remove it from the bike? Or can there be fuel in it and it not leak?
Hey, I repainted mine last winter, and I think it makes sense to drain the tank first. To do a decent paint job you have to remove the whole filler-cap assembly, then mask over the whole so nothing gets in the tank. The whole job is easier with an empty tank.

I didn't remove my fuel pump from the tank though, I just placed a little bracing in there, taped around it to hold it tight, and went at it. No problems...

FZ6 Gas Tank-simg_0001.jpg

Aaron - Former FZ6 Elitist - Former R1 Newb

[COLOR="Yellow"]For Sale: Alpinestars Venom 2-pc leather Racing Suit $750 obo[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][I][SIZE="1"]"In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher." - The 14th Dalai Lama[/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:12 PM
SuperBike Champion

I think Yami designed it that way so that it is difficult to remove but I hate how delicate it is.

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:17 PM

The op's question is: does the tank need to be empty to take it off the bike

The answer is "no".

Once off the bike, it is better to drain the gas indeed... I just put it upside down on a bucket and let it drain, shaking it every once in a while.

Then go to paint.

If you feel like taking the fuel pump out (good luck!), then go for it. I would not recommend it.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 12:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

I agree. It is easier to manoevre the tank for painting if it is empty.

To protect the intake spout and other bits under the tank chop some hole in a polystyrene block and tape them over the delicate bits.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 05:55 PM
liquid cooled fool

Are you talking about this little tab on the pump ?

If so, it is possible to remove without breaking it off, but you need to do it slowly ... I tilted the pump back a little so I can fit a finger inside and gently push up on the tab while still holding (not pulling) the pump tilted. It will be a tight squeeze and it will rub but it should stay intact. HTH, JMHO, YMMV ...

(pdf)

, basic (pdf)

to

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:36 PM
SuperBike Champion

I tried hard to bend it a little to squeeze out but it would not budge. So I just cut an angular microscopic piece from the end of that tab, but its a very important piece used to arrest the movement of the level measurement lever.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys. My bike has about half a tank of gas so I'm praying that when I remove the three lines to the tank I'm not covered in gas. I'll let know how it goes. ;o)
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Dirty Sanchez

i used needlenose pliers to slightly bend that tab out of the way. the pump then comes out real easy.
apor

"Those who sacrifice freedom in the name of security deserve neither." :bitchslap
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Tank Removed

I was able to remove the tank just fine. I had about a half tank of gas during the removal. Alittle gas came out the fuel line when it was detatched but other than that it worked out great.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in