Risers - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Risers

Anyone have any experience,comments on risers for the fz6. I am getting pains in my shoulders that I am attributing to me stiff arming the grips and laying forward with the weight carried on my wrists and shoulders. I thought risers might help that. Any thoughts? I saw that sw motech carries them, anyone else? Thanks Everett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Dirty Sanchez

i have the 1" up and 1" back. i love them. search the forum, i think this has been covered, lots of members have them.
apor

"Those who sacrifice freedom in the name of security deserve neither." :bitchslap
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Got'em and love'em.

SW Motech
LEH.00.039.132/S

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick comeback. I just ordered them from sw. I didn't know if genmar or someone else made a better product. I tried the search but to no avail. Anyway they are on their way. Thanks again. Everett
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Engineering Pathologist

I thought about those, but I find that when on the twisties or at hi-way speeds, it doesn't bother me. The 35-45 mph traffic stuff will give me a pain after a while, especially if I haven't ridden in a few days.. How are you usually riding?

[I]You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office.

Dollar per mile an hour, motorcycles are your best speeding value.[/I]
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

I ride alot of mixed riding. I might be stop and go and then out in the country for a 30-60 mile run with total mileage of just under 200 miles in an 6-8 hour day. I only get the pain when I do one of these days so I am going to try the risers and hope that helps. It also doesn't help that I am over fifty and have a big upper body ( yeah the stomach is trying to overcome the chest) Oh well. Sometimes it is so bad I think about getting a cruiser. That is bad.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 AM

try rotating the bars a bit too....I had the same pain on occasion, found that my hands weren't sitting flat on the grips in a confortable riding position....loosened the bars, rotated them a bit (brought the end of the grip about an inch higher) and haven't had the pain come back.....you may need the extra height the risers will add, but this is cheap as cheap and can be done in 5 minutes.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
500 GP Racer

^^ That's what I did and it helped a lot. When you make the adjustment, before locking everything down for good, turn the bars from left lock to right and make sure you are clear of everything - especially the tank - and do this with your hands actually on the grips as if you were riding.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Steve[/FONT]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]
[B]2005 FZ6, Silver[/B][/COLOR]
[B]MODS: [/B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Cat eliminator pipe[/COLOR] |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]FAZR6's (Mike's) FE Kit[/COLOR] |
|
| [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil[/COLOR] |
| [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Tall windscreen[/COLOR] |
| [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Nelson Rigg Silver Streak Expandable Tank bag[/COLOR] | [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]HID Headlights[/COLOR] |
|

|
|

[B]Future: [/B]
|

[B]Gear: [/B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]HJC Helmet[/COLOR] |
|
|
| Olypmia Vented Gloves (Summer)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Saratogian

Clipons FTW!!!

Just kidding...I've ridden a Bandit 1200 that had them...it was nice but made turning feel a little heavy.

Enjoy you new mod!

:headbang NESBA #264

[QUOTE=CanadianFZ6;3670873]Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....[/QUOTE]
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 01:56 PM
Forever the Man

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

+1 to what apor said.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 PM
World Superbike Champion

I had wrist pain as well (out of shape [unless round is a shape] and too much time at the computer). I tried the bar rotation and it helped some. Bought the SW 1" up & 1" back riser and haven't had much of problem since.

I am looking for some new grips (already have the puppies) that are more barrel shaped. Lee Parks talked about them when I took his class last month but so far I haven't found them. Supposedly they are BMW replacements but as I said, so far no luck...

By the way, one of the threads about installing the risers had a very helpful hint. When you remove the old top clamps lift the bars and place them aft of the existing risers (rag on tank please). The install the new risers and lift the bars up on to them. Otherwise you may not have enough slack in cbles & wires to get over the new risers.

Good luck

Whoever said ignorance is bliss just wasn't ignorant enough...:cheers
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Dirty Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC
When you remove the old top clamps lift the bars and place them aft of the existing risers (rag on tank please). The install the new risers and lift the bars up on to them. Otherwise you may not have enough slack in cbles & wires to get over the new risers.

Good luck
aha! is this why so many people had problems putting them in?
/a

"Those who sacrifice freedom in the name of security deserve neither." :bitchslap
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 01:41 PM
500 G.P. Champion

You shouldn't be putting a lot of weight on the bars in the first place. You need to work on your riding posture meaning knees hugging the tank, arms bent and not supporting weight and wrists turned down just like the BRC course teaches. If you're having those pains, I think you'll benefit a lot more for free with proper positioning.

Sit-ups help too...

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]*[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]-={FZ1inNH}=-[/SIZE][/COLOR]*[/FONT][B][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="2"] `09 Cobalt Blue FZ1[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]
*[I][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="2"]Cortech Sport Saddle and Tail bags[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]**[I][COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="2"]Tank Camera Mount[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]**[I][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]T-REX Frame Sliders[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]**[I][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"]De-stickered[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I] **[I][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="2"]Two Brothers Racing Slip-on Exhaust[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I] **[I][COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="2"]AIS Block Off[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I] **[I][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]LARS Airbox Mod[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I] **[I][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"]De-Screened Stock Air Filter[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]**[I][COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][SIZE="2"]Modded stock rear fender[/SIZE][/COLOR][/I]*
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 08:14 PM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by apor
aha! is this why so many people had problems putting them in?
/a
Yeah, I don't remember who mentioned it in their post but it's the key to no hassle installation. The only thing I had to mess with was one zip tie.

FZ6innh, I'm sure that a better physical condition would help my wrists some but I'm not going to wait until my reincarnation to have a ride that is more comfortable. The risers give me more of the Sport Touring vs. Sport position that I wanted in this bike and I'm quite happy with them.

Whoever said ignorance is bliss just wasn't ignorant enough...:cheers
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Forever the Man

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I believe that was me that mentioned laying the bars towards the tank and i agree w/ you, sir, that even though i do exercise and it has helped that the risers really multiplied the enjoyment of this bike for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in