I must be a gorilla. Overtightened drain plug. - Page 4 - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Dirty Sanchez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

don't steel and aluminum + time = stuck together? galvanic corrosion or something like that. the steel accelerates the corrosion of the aluminum, and with the 20 ft-lbs and close contact of the parts, they get stuck.
apor

"Those who sacrifice freedom in the name of security deserve neither." :bitchslap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 07:01 AM

some of the oil seeps into the threads and thankfully slows that process down, but it can happen over time.
After my experience this summer (losing drain plug) one of my winter mods is going to be setting up my plug for lockwire, that way I can feel safe going with a minimum torque to prevent Jay's problem, but also assured I'm not going to be slicking down the roadway again.
post #48 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Another day lived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koris66
2004 Service Manual says for engine oil drain bolt right tightness is 43 Nm (or 31 ft.lb).

Isn't that too high? I've seen much lower numbers in other motorcycles. And it's aluminium?
I don't torque mine that high. Thats 372in. lbs. of torque. Way more than should be required. You could do a 3rd of that and be OK. Not sure if the pan is aluminum, but you don't want to get too animal on torquing it because the threads will be stretched or worse stripped.

You have to remember that manuals are written by human beings and that does not always make them right. Some guy had a bad night and was tired and probably just plugged in a number he thought sounded good. I have not had to download my service manual yet, but if I would have seen a number like that I would of questioned it.

Taking in to account thread diameter and treads per inch it may be the right torque if you were using it to fasten something together and it was metal going into metal, but is not the case in this instance.

I deal with torques at work on a regular basis and sometimes you have to use your judgement in certain instances.

[B][SIZE="2"]56,600 miles on my 09 FZ6 so far.[/SIZE][/B] [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]U.S.:Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]Canada: Alberta, British Columbia.[/COLOR]

post #49 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-14-2007, 08:15 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaesar
Don't forget my "Right-Hand-Rule", that is fool proof. Unlike lefty-loosy, which is dependent upon which way you are facing the bolt.

"Right-Hand-Rule"" - Take your right hand, and make a fist. Point your thumb in the direction you want the bolt to go. Your fingers should now be pointing in the direction you need to rotate the bolt.

I guess it isn't "fool proof", since you need to know which hand is your right hand.
Hah!!! Is the wrench handle over or below the bolt head? If it's below and you turn it left you tighten. If you're above, turn it left it loosens. You're screwed if the handle is horizontal.
post #50 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-15-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Isn't "Counter-clockwise" always a safe bet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by segue00
Hah!!! Is the wrench handle over or below the bolt head? If it's below and you turn it left you tighten. If you're above, turn it left it loosens. You're screwed if the handle is horizontal.
post #51 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 12:57 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Jay
Isn't "Counter-clockwise" always a safe bet?
not of the bolt head is facing away from you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FZ6 Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 01:06 PM

now thats a mechanic ...working from inside the box LOL
post #53 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Oil changed. How's this for a breaker bar? Bolt came right out like it was waiting for a vacation.

I ended up using a piece of steel tube that came with my subwoofers which is meant to be used as a stand to mount my full-ranges on top of them. I was going to be lazy and leave the oil in there but it was bugging me... Oil has been in the bike since March or so, it looked quite used up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00396.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	144009  
post #54 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 11:38 PM

Breaker bar FTW!
post #55 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 09:12 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Now, how easy was that?

[edit] I was kinda expecting you reporting back with, "I used a breaker bar and stripped the head off the plug, so I had to use a channel lock and a hammer to get the plug off."

Last edited by segue00; 12-03-2007 at 09:16 AM.
post #56 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by segue00 View Post
Now, how easy was that?

[edit] I was kinda expecting you reporting back with, "I used a breaker bar and stripped the head off the plug, so I had to use a channel lock and a hammer to get the plug off."
I only seem to break heads off bolts on my car. I swear some of them must have been made out of sugar.
post #57 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo

I expected this to turn into a HeliCoil thread.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]As the cars roar into Pennsylvania, the cradle of liberty, it seems apparent that our citizens are staying off the streets, which may make scoring particularly difficult, even with this year's rule changes. To recap those revisions: women are still worth 10 points more than men in all age brackets, but teenagers now rack up 40 points, and toddlers under 12 now rate a big 70 points. The big score: anyone, any sex, over 75 years old has been upped to 100 points.
[/COLOR]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #58 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Theres no I in threesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia View Post
We were JUST JOKING about the synthetic oil thing.
omg.... ITS NOT A JOKE!!!!! Synthetic oil is not meant for motorcycles and will cause them to explode! Its a conspiracy between the big bike manufacturers and the big oil companies. Oil companies make synthetic oil, bike companies tell you not to put synthetic in the bikes but being a dumbass you do it anyway. Bike explodes and you have to get a new one. YOU LOSE!
Meanwhile they're raking in all the cash.

FZ6 moderator
post #59 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Well there is dinosaur oil in my bike for the winter. No doubt having non synthetic sit in it for a few months of the year helps stave off the harm I'm doing to it by putting the synthetic garbage into it for the rest of the year.
post #60 of 60 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Just don't use the breaker bar when you put the drain plug back in, and you should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in