Sportbikes.net

Sportbikes.net (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/)
-   FZ6/FZ6R (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6-fz6r/)
-   -   NEED HELP -Removing fuel Pump (https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/fz6-fz6r/371655-need-help-removing-fuel-pump.html)

southernFZ6 10-20-2007 12:33 PM

NEED HELP -Removing fuel Pump

Hello all,

Trying to remove my fuel pump from tank. Need help. I can't quite seem to position it where it will slide on out of tank.

Thanks

wavex 10-20-2007 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southernFZ6
Hello all,

Trying to remove my fuel pump from tank. Need help. I can't quite seem to position it where it will slide on out of tank.

Thanks

Why do you need to do that?

I had tried to take it out myself when I painted the tank, but it seemed impossible to me.... be careful not to break anything! there are small plastic parts that can be easily broken off...

southernFZ6 10-20-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavex
Why do you need to do that?

I had tried to take it out myself when I painted the tank, but it seemed impossible to me.... be careful not to break anything! there are small plastic parts that can be easily broken off...

Because I am replacing my tank. And yep, there are little pieces that will break off. Specifically the little piece of plastic ( the STOP ) that keeps your fuel level float / sender from dropping too low. If it goes past that stop the whole float assembly comes off. I could not figure out a way to get the pump out because of that one little piece hanging up on tank. Bad design...So now I have to figure out how to fix or repair. That section is a sub-assembly but I have no idea what part# it is. I am sure there was a trick to it but me and buddy could not figure one out. He is a big car guy and an engineer that works on stuff like that all the time. We tried everything we could to figure out but could not. Never quite as easy as it should be. Arrrghhhhhhh

Anyone have any suggestions? An epoxy to glue back? another fix? Part#??

Thanks

k_902 10-20-2007 04:54 PM

Well I switched my tank/pump without a problem. I remember it being a snug fit but it came out just fine. From what I remember you need to kind of snake it out of there...

Good luck....

=

southernFZ6 10-20-2007 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=k_902]Well I switched my tank/pump without a problem. I remember it being a snug fit but it came out just fine. From what I remember you need to kind of snake it out of there...

Good luck....

Yeah, I rotated it, twisted it,etc. and just could not seem to get to come clear. Now I am trying to figure how to fix stop. Thanks

CrazyBiker 10-20-2007 07:37 PM

Currently I want to do this and my first concern is how to drain the fuel correctly? Then take out the white colored fuel pump out.

southernFZ6 10-20-2007 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyBiker
Currently I want to do this and my first concern is how to drain the fuel correctly? Then take out the white colored fuel pump out.

It is best to get a small hand pump from an auto parts store and pump out most of the fuel before removing tank. You can then remove tank and take out filler cap assembly and get a little more fuel out so when you take out screws holding in fuel pump it is not too bad. I had a hard time getting fuel pump out and broke small piece of plastic ( the stop/keeper for float ) and now I am hoping someone can tell me of an epoxy or glue that will hold up in tank/gasoline. Luckily I did not lose broken piece. It seems people do get the pumps out w/o as much trouble as I had....Good luck......

cdogg76 10-21-2007 01:06 AM

If I were you, instead of gluing broken pieces together, I'd just buy the part to replace it. Look up on Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories or My Star Prompt - Parts Catalog to find the specific part number. Then call your local Yamaha dealer or order it online. You already have it all apart...just replace the plastic piece. It sounds like it probably isn't a very expensive part and you won't have to worry about the glue coming undone, cracking, etc. and having fuel leak later.

Carlin

southernFZ6 10-21-2007 02:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cdogg76
If I were you, instead of gluing broken pieces together, I'd just buy the part to replace it. Look up on Ron Ayers Motorsports - Motorcycle, ATV, Jet Ski and Generators Parts and Accessories or My Star Prompt - Parts Catalog to find the specific part number. Then call your local Yamaha dealer or order it online. You already have it all apart...just replace the plastic piece. It sounds like it probably isn't a very expensive part and you won't have to worry about the glue coming undone, cracking, etc. and having fuel leak later.

Carlin

I cannot find a part# for the sub-assembly part on the pump. I looked at both those sites earlier today. Unless I am just missing them. I posted a pic of broken part. The red circle shows where the broke piece is and the blue circle shows what I think is a small sub-assembly. The rod, float, etc. comes off if float drops below that point identified in red.

redoliander 10-21-2007 03:40 AM

looks like the fuel pump is sold in one piece.its about $330. ouch. hope you can fine it at a salvage yard or beable to glue it back together.

cdogg76 10-22-2007 03:06 AM

Ah, I see. Yeah, sorry. I guess you are out of luck.

You may want to do as Redoliander suggested and look for a used part. Do you know if you can remove/replace that plastic piece if you did have a replacement? If you can, then you don't really have to care about the state of the used part as long as that plastic piece is intact.

Carlin

killernoodle 10-22-2007 10:25 AM

You can siphon the gas out with one of the vent tubes. Careful though, they are not clear and if you dont use your thumb as a valve in the siphoning process you will get some gas in your mouth (not bad, just tastes nasty).

It takes a lot of wiggling to get the fuel pump out, but it will come out in one piece if you see whats in there and wiggle it just right. Dont be afraid to put some pressure on it if it gets a little stuck, the plastic its made out of is pretty tough.

apor 10-22-2007 10:40 AM

i was away all weekend, otherwise i could've told you how i did it. i got the fuel pump almost out, with that little tab getting caught on the edge of the opening. i then grabbed the tab with a pair of needlenose pliers, bent it to the side just a little bit, enough so that i could pull the pump out. it only needed a little bit of coaxing, and it went back it easily, without the needlenose pliers.
sorry you had to break it to get it out... it is a tight fit.
apor

southernFZ6 10-22-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apor
i was away all weekend, otherwise i could've told you how i did it. i got the fuel pump almost out, with that little tab getting caught on the edge of the opening. i then grabbed the tab with a pair of needlenose pliers, bent it to the side just a little bit, enough so that i could pull the pump out. it only needed a little bit of coaxing, and it went back it easily, without the needlenose pliers.
sorry you had to break it to get it out... it is a tight fit.
apor

Thanks Apor....Yeah, I noticed when I posted thread Saturday that you were not online all weekend. I think I have got a good fix figured out. I'll post up a pic when I get it done in the next couple of days. On another note, my new tank they shipped has a dent in it and the main front upper is the wrong color. More delays.....arrrghhhhhh.