To lower or not to lower front fork? - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To lower or not to lower front fork?

I went to the dealer a couple weeks ago to order my Vince's and the owner came out as I was leaving asking how the bike was bla bla bla. I told him it was too friggin' tall and that I had shaved the seat and would he mind turning my rear shock to 1.

After he was done he offered to "have the guys lower the front fork 1/2"' for me when I bring it in for it's 600 mile check up. Which is tomorrow morning. So, should I do that? He's doin it for free. I really dont want to raise my risk of a tank slapper - which is my 2nd biggest fear, 1st being hit by a cager. But I digress.

I can reach with one foot flat and one on the balls of my feet. I can park and back up and all that jazz but being closer to earth is appealing. I'm torn and I want to know what ya'll thought.

Discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Saratogian

Lower it and don't worry about the slapper...you've got a good amount of rake.

Raising the forks in the triples will give you quicker turn in and make it easier to stoppie (good or bad depending on your pref.). This will also move the weight bias more towards the front and give you the slightly lower ride you desire.

EDIT - so when do we get to see those pics you keep talking about?

:headbang NESBA #264

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[QUOTE=CanadianFZ6;3670873]Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....[/QUOTE]
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:22 PM

lower it...

the fact I've either lowered or raised any vehicle I've ever owned is in no way affecting my view... ...ok, yeah it is. but lower it anyway. You wont regret it. I did, however, regret lowering my rear to 1. After riding to work on 1, i immediately raised it back to 3. I wasn't to fond of the increased stiffness.

pic for reference... Ignore the clip-on but rather look at the fork on the right. its probably an inch or so.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:27 PM
butt marker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I lowered mine 1 1/2 inches with stiffer springs and installed clip ons. It was a positive change for me. It really makes the bike handle a little quicker on the turn in.
I did have one and only one "slapper" (if you can call it that) but it was really mild. It was one of those see how fast the bike can accelerate in second, the front wheel was light on the road, and I hit a bad bump. I don't think too many people have them and most of them are rider error. You really have to be riding hard and they are completely avoidable, so I wouldn't concern yourself about it. A half inch isn't going to change anything except make you more comfortable, so just lower it and ride. There are so many other things to worry about.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:37 PM
Beware the drop bears

I agree with lowering, I did it to my previous ride,a '98 cbr 600 and it turned much quicker and no ill effects at all.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"] The [COLOR="Blue"]blue[/COLOR] one,light mod,ventura rack,hustler luggage,Team Moto FE kit,pro grip tank protector,alarm,Amber pods,C.A smoke taillight,Puig Screen,FS6 Sliders,Polished Wheels,Stebel Compact Horn,Acumen GearIndicator,Leo Vince Alloy Cans.[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR="White"][/COLOR]
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

awesome. I'm doing it and totally stoked about it now.

Thanks a lot for the input.

And as far as the pictures go, MAYBE Friday. The photog is a little on the busy side for some odd reason. I'm dying to do the shoot but he's the hold up.

and moving my shock to 1 was not noticible to me...
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 11:51 PM

I agree, post the pics asap.

Oh, dunno about the forks, yea sure, lower it I guess.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:04 AM

I would not recommend it but it's not my bike and you will do it anyway.
Remember when those racers suddenly flip over like a raging horse ? well it's what your exposed to since shit will probably happen when you brake like mad (you usually brake like mad when your life is in danger already), the front suspension will bottom, the rear will stretch(and they do a lot), then the rake will become negative, the handlebars will go to full lock to one side, this will induce a unrecoverable spin since your rear tire barely contact the ground, the bike will flip over and the hell happens then...
And I have the chance to warn you before.

Best is to maintain the original suspension geometry intact.
Rule : lower the bike=turn a fine tuned chassis in a backyard engineered garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Em
...but being closer to earth is appealing.
Oh and yes, it will bring you closer to the ground

Last edited by gboezio; 09-27-2007 at 01:29 AM.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 01:09 AM

changing the spring to a 1 only changes the preload, ie. softens the spring when weight is put on the bike - and from the looks of your avitar you probably don't compress the spring a whole lot even on a 1 setting. this does not change the actual height. i met a couple in the mts. and the girls husband had took the rear shock off and cut part of it off to lower the bike. i don't know of any lowering kit avaliable for our bikes. yes- lower the front by dropping the forks in the triple tree. but personally i wouldn't go much more than 30mm , you won't have any problem with head shakes.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Sidehacker Extraordinaire

I'd suggest putting the preload back to it's proper setting for you and learning to be comfortable with the bike the way it is. Learn to one-foot it, it's something every rider should be able to do at all times. As far as backing up, there are two strategies: plan ahead so you either don't have to back up, or let gravity do the work for you; get off the bike and walk the bike back. It's not hard.

IMO changing the geometry for the sole reason of being able to put your other foot flat on the ground is a band aid for poor riding skills.

2004 Yamaha FZ6 "Dagmar Aaen"

19?? Dnepr MT-11
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:30 AM
The Flying Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcoma
I'd suggest putting the preload back to it's proper setting for you and learning to be comfortable with the bike the way it is. Learn to one-foot it, it's something every rider should be able to do at all times. As far as backing up, there are two strategies: plan ahead so you either don't have to back up, or let gravity do the work for you; get off the bike and walk the bike back. It's not hard.

IMO changing the geometry for the sole reason of being able to put your other foot flat on the ground is a band aid for poor riding skills.
+1... my bike felt tall for a bit. I'm only 5'6" and I can only keep one foot flat. In fact you look like you've got longer legs than me (still waiting for pics! ). So I say ride it for a while before you decide to lower it.

just my $.02 of course

Aaron - Former FZ6 Elitist - Former R1 Newb

[COLOR="Yellow"]For Sale: Alpinestars Venom 2-pc leather Racing Suit $750 obo[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][I][SIZE="1"]"In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher." - The 14th Dalai Lama[/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Theres no I in threesome

Dropping the front forks considerably will also mean you will probably need a new sidestand or have it cut shorter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FZ6 moderator
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:20 AM
butt marker

wow, 1/2 an inch doesn't make a huge difference, you guys are gonna scare her. 1 inch wouldn't even be too much of an issue. She doesn't look like a porker ,so I don't think with the stock springs she will have to worry about bottoming out.
You might want to get a lower rear shock, one of the guys on here (lilcurverider) here did this . It may be worth looking into since you can get an r6 shock cheap. If you lower both ends it will keep the bike very similar to stock.

Edit: Killernoodle, with mine lowered 1 1/2 in the front, the stock kickstand is fine.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:29 AM
Track Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gboezio
I would not recommend it but it's not my bike and you will do it anyway.
Remember when those racers suddenly flip over like a raging horse ? well it's what your exposed to since shit will probably happen when you brake like mad (you usually brake like mad when your life is in danger already), the front suspension will bottom, the rear will stretch(and they do a lot), then the rake will become negative, the handlebars will go to full lock to one side, this will induce a unrecoverable spin since your rear tire barely contact the ground, the bike will flip over and the hell happens then...
And I have the chance to warn you before.

Best is to maintain the original suspension geometry intact.
Rule : lower the bike=turn a fine tuned chassis in a backyard engineered garbage

Oh and yes, it will bring you closer to the ground
Pretty sure body position has more to do with flipping the bike over.

[SIZE="1"][b][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Gear:[/b] Scorpion Stinger Jacket, AGV Forza 1pc Suit, Teknic VR-II Gloves, TCX SS Performance 2 Racing Boots, Scorpion EXO-700 Helmet[/COLOR]
[b][COLOR="Green"]Bike:[/b] Scorpion SS Exhaust, Fender Eliminator, Reflective Rimtape[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[b]
[/b]
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbodell
I did have one and only one "slapper" (if you can call it that) but it was really mild. It was one of those see how fast the bike can accelerate in second, the front wheel was light on the road, and I hit a bad bump.
Hmm... now that you mention this I think I had the same thing happen. I never realized it was a tank slapper till reading what you wrote. I was accelerating in 1st a little hard, and the handle bars started shaking. I thought I went over some weird bumps and it was causing the front to shake, but I only recall the back going over one bump. Well at least we both got out of that unscathed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in