Gps - Page 3 - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Club Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently picked-up a Zumo 550 - it's definitely worth the money. Touratech makes a Zumo mount that looks much more sturdy than the RAM one:

Touratech GPS Mounts from Touratech-USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Back Marker

Zumo Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrider10
(wavex) I know I'm asking a shitload of questions but all the website just give really broad descriptions. Do you use the MP3 player? What computer program to do transfer your download from? (limewire, itunes, napster ect.)
I have the Zumo 550 mounted and use a Nolan helmet with N-Com system. Sad to say, but the Nolan system is not "In Stereo"- that aside, this GPS is great for music, phone calls and getting to where you want to quickly and effciently. I use Real Player to CONVERT all of my music files to MP3 format, the Zumo has an SD card slot and I use a 1gb card to store probably around 120-150 songs. Sometimes I will use earplug type headphones to get the true stereo sound, but with helmet, I settle for mono tunes....
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Banned

OK - so on wavex's recommendation I picked up the Mio C310x. Damn this thing rocks, and the price is incredible!

Now I'm on to phase 2 of my uber-geekness - mounting the unit. I found a very simple clamp in my workshop at work, and easily modified it to work.

Pix below.

Phase 3: porting GoogleEarth routes into the Mio... stay tuned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03062.jpg (79.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03065.jpg (82.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03070.jpg (163.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03073.jpg (184.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03075.jpg (138.6 KB, 44 views)

Last edited by chas4fz; 10-17-2007 at 05:24 PM.

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Mr Crash :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas4fz
OK - so on wavex's recommendation I picked up the Mio C310x. Damn this thing rocks, and the price is incredible!

Now I'm on to phase 2 of my uber-geekness - mounting the unit. I found a very simple clamp in my workshop at work, and easily modified it to work.

Pix coming soon.

Phase 3: porting GoogleEarth routes into the Mio... stay tuned.
The bracket I gave you doesn't work? or you're talking about mounting it on the hunduh?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavex
The bracket I gave you doesn't work? or you're talking about mounting it on the hunduh?
I tried using that bracket, (thanks a whole lot man) but the position i wanted meant putting it out in front of the bars a little bit more. I'll take a pix here and show you, but its a really good position i think. How's the leg/bike.../wife?
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Mr Crash :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas4fz
I tried using that bracket, (thanks a whole lot man) but the position i wanted meant putting it out in front of the bars a little bit more. I'll take a pix here and show you, but its a really good position i think. How's the leg/bike.../wife?
oh I think I know what you mean! yeah post up some pics, if you have a better way, I`ll do the same thing -on my future bike lol-.

Leg is almost 100%... probably tomorrow I`ll be able to walk normally again

Bike: I am still waiting for the inspector to go out there and confirm it is totalled... I can`t wait to see what kind of $$ they`ll give me... if it's less than $4k, I plan to complain.

Wife: surprisingly, Leah's been really good about all this... she had a smile on her face when she picked me up at the towing company on Saturday... I definitely wasn't expecting that! Of course she would prefer that I give up motorcycles, and she keeps slipping remarks in the conversation about it, but she knows it's not going to happen, so she's letting it go I love her for it... she rocks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:08 PM
Trying to make the grades

So, on the GPS units. I must admit that everytime I hear about someone putting a GPS unit on their bike I laugh. In my mind I don't really want to know where Im going, and if I do, I would just pull out the old map. However, after having some experience with some in a few new cars I really like how you can search for things such as food and gas.

For those of you who have GPS, do yall use them for that? Also, do you use them for finding a route or just to make sure you know what road you are on at all times?

I guess another advantage would be having acurate milages?

I can see where some of the advantages are to having a GPS, but I still think it might take away some of the fun of the riding adventure? Looking for feed back on how you all use and feel about your GPS's instead of getting lost and just using a map to get home? lol

-bryan
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Searching for the tower.

The Garmin units have tens of thousands of businesses on their maps, including gas stations, hospitals, etc...

Hell, my Garmin will alert you when your gas gets to 30% full and then automatically start plotting alternate routes for you to the nearest stations.

A GPS is just a much, much better map.

If you use a paper map, there is NO reason not to upgrade if you can afford it.

If you get lost, a map does you no good if you can't pinpoint your position. In fact if you get your position wrong, the map can lead you in the WRONG direction and worsen your current situation.

With a GPS, you *always* know where you are on the map.

2007 Yamaha FZ6, NESBA member.

Want to learn how to go fast? ->
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Constitution: RIP

Using the gps depends on where I am and what I'm doing. If I feel like getting lost in the countryside, then it gets turned off... until I want to find gas or food or get home. But where it really rocks is in the city, or when you have a time limit to get someplace. I can't tell you how much my little mio helped me through an endless array of open houses in Boston a few weeks back. Without a doubt I saw twice as many places (and wasted no time pre-planning) because I didn't have to navigate one-ways on a paper map.

And the portability into the auto makes it that much better.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Banned

I got the GPS just so I would have a map with me everywhere I go. I don't really want to be watching it while I ride and waiting for it to tell me where to turn, but often on those aimless weekend rides I would like to take a look at whatever roads there are near me, and maybe try something new. I would also like to be able to track my progress and be able to go back later and see where I traveled. Knowing where gas is could be helpful - hell even knowing where the closest medical facility is could be good. MOstly, i just need to know where the best coffee is.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Banned

OK - so I got the mount worked out, and I've now got a way to transfer information back and forth between GoogleEarth and the Mio!!!

So far, I've only transferred POI's...don't know if I will be able to make an entire route in GoogleEarth and transfer it but that would be ideal.

Anyway, the basic premise is shown here:
POI’s on my mio c310x : Eat your Vegetables!

To do this requires:
1) Unlocking Mio, which makes it boot to Windows CE desktop (very cool..hmm, wonder what other apps I could install and run on this...)
How to Manually Unlock your Mio
2) Install iGO POI Explorer software found here:
iGo POI Explorer v1.0 beta
3) Create POI's in GoogleEarth, save them as .kmz files somewhere on you PC.
4) Drag .kmz's to iGo Explorer.
5) Sync Igo with Mio

Other notes: You must have Activesync installed on you computer, as well as .net framework. If you're geek enough, this should be easy. The cool thing about Activesync is that it allows you to do a full backup of the Mio should something become corrupted.

Last edited by chas4fz; 10-17-2007 at 05:33 PM.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 05:32 PM
500 GP Racer

Wanted to share a wee story about my gps experiences. Got a Garmin Etrex Vista, BTW.
I was riding my xr650 off road along powerlines one afternoon on a ridge called Hardscrabble, in Colorado. I got off the main trail and found myself on a runoff, which is like a really narrow creek down the mountain. Anyway, long story short, it got dark, the runoff I was in led to a river, which I could cross but couldn't get up the other bank. I had to leave the bike there, creating a waypoint at it's location, and also used the gps to show me which direction to hike in to get to a road. It was dark by then, and I couldn't see through the trees. I got to the road, about 2 miles away form where I was, hiked a bit more (yes this whole time in MX boots), and hitched a ride to my truck. I got home at about midnight, but by first light, I was able to get back to the bike, extract it, and get back home. The point I was trying to make is I used the Garmin to leave a mark so I could find the bike, and also to get me to the nearest road. In the dark, in the wilderness, that night could have gone much differently. I'm more or less devoted to the concept of gps now. Cheers!

"'Tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
-Aberham Lincoln-
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Trying to make the grades

Those are all pretty good reasons there! I remember the first time I ever saw a GPS, one of the guys I raced dirtbikes with ploted the course we had just made. It showed a few spots where the track came pretty close to meeting each other... pretty neat stuff.

Anyway, might be a neat thing to look into later. I just need a bike first . Grades are coming along though!

-bryan
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Searching for the tower.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is I used the Garmin to leave a mark so I could find the bike, and also to get me to the nearest road.
That was some Jack Bauer shit right there...very good thinking!

2007 Yamaha FZ6, NESBA member.

Want to learn how to go fast? ->
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-18-2007, 03:52 PM
500 GP Racer

Thankye!
Of all the ways that night could have turned out, I think I got the best option

"'Tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"
-Aberham Lincoln-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in