Comparison between Calsci and Stock Windshields - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Comparison between Calsci and Stock Windshields

I have seen a few threads about the taller windshields. I thought that I would share some photos of my bike with the Calsci +9" tall windshield versus the Stock windshield. I also added a couple photos of the Stock shield "taped" onto the Calsci to help show the size comparisons.

I really enjoy the Calsci windshield. My bike is such a pleasure to ride now at highway speeds. I originally intended to swap between the shields depending upon riding/temperature conditions. Well, it turns out that the Calsci stays on my bike all of the time due to the excellent wind protection.

As you can see below, the taller windshield definitely gives the bike a more "sport-touring" look. Unfortunately, that is the trade-off you pay for the added wind protection.

Here is my bike with the Stock windshield:

Here is my bike with the Calsci +9" tall windshield:

Here is a front view of the two windshields "taped" together:

Here is a side view of the two windshields "taped" together:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 02:50 AM
Supersport Racer

That's a substantial difference. The stock shields could have been a few inches higher IMO.
I guess Yamaha felt the shorter looked cooler.
Have a smooth ride!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 04:27 AM
needs a job

I think I will sell my '04 and buy an '07 just so I can get that screen.

I *heart* CalSci!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Back Marker

thanks for the post. That's quite a difference in size. Just wondering...does the new shield protect you from the wind blast from trucks passing you (or being passed) on the highway? Also for me, after about 50 miles on the highway, I have about 10 bug strikes on my helmet face shield. Does this shield protect your face shield from bugs?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig007
thanks for the post. That's quite a difference in size. Just wondering...does the new shield protect you from the wind blast from trucks passing you (or being passed) on the highway? Also for me, after about 50 miles on the highway, I have about 10 bug strikes on my helmet face shield. Does this shield protect your face shield from bugs?
Yes to all questions. For trucks, I still like to lean forward a bit to tuck myself behind the Calsci shield. It acts like a wall and takes away all of the blast. This shield is a must-have for any highway rides.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
FZ6 Corner Carver

thats a huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! shield... dam i dont think ive ever seen a shield that big on a sportbike before... but glad it works for ya...

Upgrades: frame-sliders, fend-elim, tcp seatcowl, pazzo levers, LED taillight w/int.turn signals, puig double bubble blue tint windscreen, K&N filter, Carbon Scorpion Exhaust, yamaha tankpad, flush turnsignals...
Drifting is a lifestyle, so live it sideways!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICER737
gotta 7 way party bong at the sheriff's dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_markII
When I treat the street as a racetrack I just pretend the cops are cornerworkers giving me the meatball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson
ok, here is what you do you ready for this ok lets get down to business you gotta get a bunch of stuff for this you go to the grocery store get a jar of pickles some mayonnaise cheeze wizz crackers some milk and a thing of ketchup you bring all of that to your friends girlfriends house then u bend her over and fuck her in the ass as hard and fast as you can.
DUDELEESTA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:14 PM
Back Marker

thanks....I think I will bit the bullet and buy one
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Not really a noob anymore

CalSci Rocks!

Quote:
Does the new shield protect you from the wind blast from trucks passing you (or being passed) on the highway?
I also have the +9.5" winscreen and I commute from Emeryville to Sausalito every day. The area around the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge is very windy and has a lot of cross winds. The CalSci does a great job of filtering out all but the absolute worst cross winds! On some days with the stock windscreen I would have to reduce my speed to below the speed limit on the bridge, but with the CalSci I get such a clean and low pressure air stream that it really makes riding a pleasure.

Quote:
Does this shield protect your face shield from bugs?
It probably depends on your height (I'm 6' 3") but my experience is that the bugs only hit the top portion of my face shield and helmet. If I crouched a little bit behind the windscreen there is a very quiet and calm pocket where I would be protected. But I have a very upright riding style.

The one thing that I have noticed about the CalSci is that the wind noise is a little louder than the stock windscreen as the airstream hits me right at the top of my helmet. I don't really have a problem with this because I always wear hearing protection.

Overall after about 1000 miles I am loving my CalSci tall windscreen for its buffet-free protection while still allowing some air to the body and helmet.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 03:37 AM
SBN Rookie

Calsci for 2004-2006

Just wanted to know if Calsci has any plans on creating one of those for the 2004-2006 models also, so I sent them an e-mail. Let's see what their answer is.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Club Racer

where did you order it ftom?

thanks

Frame Sliders
Dual Headlights
and Farkled Muffler
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2007, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_simple
where did you order it ftom?

thanks
I ordered mine directly through California Scientific. Here is their website for the FZ6 shields.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FZ6prod.html
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Back Marker

Thanks FZnoob. I ordered the +9.5 a few days ago. I'm about 5'9" with my boots on (32" inseam) so I am hoping the the wind and noise will clear my helmet. I'm still a little nervous about it being too hot....but we will see.

lallu2004: there was a thread on this site (I think) where the Calsi owner told us why he didn't and probably wouldn't make screens for the older bikes...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Streethawk Wannabe

Thanks for the good pics and the write-up. I'll have to consider this if I plan any long rides. BTW - nice bike!

2007 FZ6 - Blue
Current Mods: Uncaged Sliders, Dual Headlight Mod, Custom Corbin Seat, Evotech "Tail Tidy", Signal Dynamics LED Plate Frame, PCIII, K&N Filter, Leo Vince SBK EVO II Carbon Fiber Exhaust w/cat. eliminator

Soon: Nothing - I'm broke!
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 05:02 PM
Back Marker

I installed my Calsci +9.5 wind screen today and promply took it onto the highway. I'm 5'9-5'9 and the wind still seems to hit me at forehead height. I think the helmet wind noise is a little higher.

But the good news is that this thing REALLY WORKS well! With the stock screen I would have to duck and brace every time I passed a truck or a truck passed me. Now I can follow trucks, pass them sitting up straight. When the wind blast comes I feel it as a breeze, but it does not shake the bike. Riding on a 2 lane road at 55 mph used to be an adventure every time an 18 wheeler passed in the opposing lane. Again, I feel the breeze, but the bike stays rock solid.

If I slouch i can lower the noise/wind and I can easily get completly behind the wind screen. It is really quiet in the tucked position.

I was worried that it would be too hot. Today was windy so it might not be a good indicator, but I was getting plenty of wind on my arms (mesh jacket) and chest at speeds above 35 mph.

I'm still taking bug hits to the helmet face shield, but not as many as before. I noticed that I have more hits on the top of the helmet now.

So, the initial review is consistant with the opinion's of others. This thing is great. I'm now ready for a long roadtrip!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
SBN Rookie

Quote:
I think the helmet wind noise is a little higher.
If I slouch i can lower the noise/wind and I can easily get completly behind the wind screen. It is really quiet in the tucked position.
That statement is consistent with me too. At highway speeds, I tend to lean forward an inch more and the noise is reduced. On longer rides, I usually were ear plugs to block out unwanted noise and reduce fatigue.

I'm glad you like the CalSci shield. I love it everytime I ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in