FZ6 Service Question $$$ - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
I like curves.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

FZ6 Service Question $$$

Hi all!

I wanted to ask you guys a couple questions before i get robbed by the Yamaha service.
I called my Yamaha Service today to ask for an oil change and they said i need the full service since i have 6000 miles on the bike with only the 600 service done.

Do i need the full maintenance or should i be fine with just an oil change at this point?

They also said the full service is gonna be around 300$. Am i being ripped off? I got the 600 miles full service for 200$ before.

Thanks for the replys.

:Overlord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Wildcat Fanatic

In my opinion, you're getting ripped off. You'd have to check the manual for the mileage for the first valve adjustment, but I'm pretty sure it's at around 24,000 miles or so. I could be wrong. I just took my '06 in for the 600 mile service and paid $106 for an oil change! Luckily, they only charged me for one hour of labor at $65/hour. They won't be seeing my bike again until something goes wrong or the valves need adjusting. If I were you IMHO I'd just change the oil yourself and f*#k the dealer for now.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 03:46 PM
500 GP Racer

+1, save your coin and look the bike over yourself.

[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR="Blue"]'06 Cobalt Blue FJR [/COLOR][/FONT] :2devil

[COLOR="DarkOliveGreen"]What brought me to SBN:[/COLOR]
[FONT=Arial Black][COLOR="DimGray"]'05 Cerulean Silver/Black FZ6[/COLOR][/FONT]

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
R6S Crash Cushion

No way Duck...do it yourself or take it to Cycle Depot in Eagle Rock. Talk to Tommy (phone option 3) and tell him you're late on your 4000 mile service. Changing the oil is no big deal if that's all you're after. He'll probably only charge you about $125 to replace all the filters and change the oil, lube everything, plus full inspection. Mention anything weird you're noticing and they'll check that for free.

The 4000 mile service really only calls for an oil change and to check or lube everything else. I can come by and help you with that.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Superbike Racer

There are a very few basic things that you as the owner/rider need to be able to do. First, be able to change the oil and oil filter. Both are very accessible on the FZ6 (after you get the factory installed plug and filter off finally for the first time). The other, clean and lub the chain, and adjust it as necessary (not really that often). Other than that, the beauty of this bike, and most other modern ones, is really not much else is required. Look it over occasionally for loose nuts and bolts. And unless it's running crappy or making loud tapping noises, the valves don't get checked until 27,000 miles. You can adjust clutch and throttle cable play, if any excess is there, yourself with the adjusters on the cables. There's just not much to do on this bike. Keep receipts of your oil and filter purchases and record the date and mileage of the changes. Don't give your money away until something is wrong. And actually, I suggest when tires are needed, you save a few bucks by removing the wheels yourself and taking them in for new tires (if you don't mount tires yourself). Again, beauty of the FZ6 is it has a center stand making alot of this easy. My brother on his SV650 is envious. My opinion. roger
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:07 PM
Superbike Champion

Save your money. Tires, oil and filter changes with a few minor chain lubes (every 500 miles, I lube every other fill up) and chain adjustments are all that need to be done, till 26,000 mile. Go to the local oil and filter shop. Pick up a Mobile 1 filter, and Mobile 1 10W - 50 synthetic oil. Change yourself and ride! Cost, 30 min time, and $35.00.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:23 PM
stayin' sucka free

Look in your owners manual at the list of things to be done for the 4,000 mile service (there's MORE to it than just "looking over the bike" and changing the oil) and ask yourself if you feel like you're capable and/or willing of doing everything listed yourself. If so, save yourself some money and do it. I believe the 4,000 mile service also calls for the replacement of the air filter... not hard, but will be another part you'll need to pick up other than just oil and filter.

If you do the service yourself, make sure you save the receipts for the parts, etc... so if anything warranty related should come up, you have some sort of "proof" that the recommended service intervals were followed.

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/B]

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/B]

"Yea, though I ride through the valley of the shadow of the Harley, I will fear no R.U.B.: For my FZ6 art with me; thy power, thy speed and thy handling they comfort me." -- Metrics 23:4
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:38 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky_Devil
Look in your owners manual at the list of things to be done for the 4,000 mile service (there's MORE to it than just "looking over the bike" and changing the oil) and ask yourself if you feel like you're capable and/or willing of doing everything listed yourself. If so, save yourself some money and do it. I believe the 4,000 mile service also calls for the replacement of the air filter... not hard, but will be another part you'll need to pick up other than just oil and filter.

If you do the service yourself, make sure you save the receipts for the parts, etc... so if anything warranty related should come up, you have some sort of "proof" that the recommended service intervals were followed.

Looking at the manual, the hardest thing required to be CHECKED is the throttle body synch. I am not even sure that needs to be done as long as your engine is running smoothly, ie, no odd vibrations.

How do you prove you have performed a throttle body synch? As for denying warranty claims, they have to prove that what you did or did not do, is the cause of the failure. They can not deny a warrnty claim for your wiring harness shorting out and burning up, just because you did not change the oil every 4000 miles. There are laws to protect consumers.

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 05:53 PM
stayin' sucka free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsport
Looking at the manual, the hardest thing required to be CHECKED is the throttle body synch. I am not even sure that needs to be done as long as your engine is running smoothly, ie, no odd vibrations.
Does the original poster have the tools/means necessary to perform a throttle body synch? Is the original poster familiar enough with bikes to even know what qualifies as an "odd vibration" and make the determination that a throttle body synch is not necessary? This was my point in mentioning that he review what the manual says and determine if he feels he's qualified to do it himself.

Mine needed adjustment at 4,000 miles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsport
How do you prove you have performed a throttle body synch? As for denying warranty claims, they have to prove that what you did or did not do, is the cause of the failure. They can not deny a warrnty claim for your wiring harness shorting out and burning up, just because you did not change the oil every 4000 miles. There are laws to protect consumers.
Wow, that's a pretty far fetched scenario there... and I'm sure you're correct, since the engine oil has nothing to do with the electrical system. My point was, that if anything DOES happen (that's engine related), what do you think the first thing is that they're going to ask about? Hmmmm, perhaps the service records???.... especially if the dealer has no service history on file for the bike. Really, don't you think it would be better to have the receipts and never need them than to need them and not have them?

[B]
[/B]

[B]
[/B]

"Yea, though I ride through the valley of the shadow of the Harley, I will fear no R.U.B.: For my FZ6 art with me; thy power, thy speed and thy handling they comfort me." -- Metrics 23:4
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 06:08 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Does the original poster have the tools/means necessary to perform a throttle body synch? Is the original poster familiar enough with bikes to even know what qualifies as an "odd vibration" and make the determination that a throttle body synch is not necessary? This was my point in mentioning that he review what the manual says and determine if he feels he's qualified to do it himself.
Well he can pay to have it done, or save some money by buying the tools needed and do it himself. There is plenty of info on this forum and from the service manual.

Quote:
Wow, that's a pretty far fetched scenario there... and I'm sure you're correct, since the engine oil has nothing to do with the electrical system. My point was, that if anything DOES happen (that's engine related), what do you think the first thing is that they're going to ask about? Hmmmm, perhaps the service records???.... especially if the dealer has no service history on file for the bike. Really, don't you think it would be better to have the receipts and never need them than to need them and not have them?
Yes it was far fetched but, it was to prove a point. As for keeping receipts, I have enough paperwork from tax returns, credit card bills, and bank statements. All of that is shredded and thrown out at the end of the year (with the exception of tax records, there you have to keep it for at least five years). No, I am not interested in keeping receipts for oil and filter purchases. Oh and how would ever prove you did a throttle body synch?

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

Last edited by rennsport; 05-14-2007 at 07:09 PM.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 PM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZS6TLdude
Save your money. Tires, oil and filter changes with a few minor chain lubes (every 500 miles, I lube every other fill up) and chain adjustments are all that need to be done, till 26,000 mile. Go to the local oil and filter shop. Pick up a Mobile 1 filter, and Mobile 1 10W - 50 synthetic oil. Change yourself and ride! Cost, 30 min time, and $35.00.
Like he said... do it yourself until you need a valve adjustment.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:42 PM
World Superbike Champion

Quote:

Mine needed adjustment at 4,000 miles....

If Yamaha ever wants you to buy another bike from them, they will honor the warranty whether you do it or the shop does it and whether you can prove you did the service or not. They can't afford to loose anyone as a customer.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 PM

basically if you ask for an oil change, thats all they are required to give you. to bully you into more service you aren't asking to be done, is wrong in my books. They can't force you to pay them to do the work. But the bottom line is that the work needs to be carried out....by someone.
I agree with the warranty issues though. Cover your bases and you'll have more solid ground to stand on if you have to fight it out. they have a right to refuse anything for warranty, thats their business, but it can bite them later in lost sales. but do you think they really care? as soon as you leave in a huff, there is someone new walking in the door....you can't stop them all.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Lemming's Revenge

I honestly think that the most important service to bring into the shop for is the first one. If you have the skills and tools, the rest can be done at home.

[I]"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."[/I]--W.C. Fields
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:26 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone
I honestly think that the most important service to bring into the shop for is the first one. If you have the skills and tools, the rest can be done at home.

Are you talking about the 600 mile service? If so, that is one expensive oil change. I did that one myself at the advice of the dealer.

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in