REVIEW: Chase Harper Aeropac II Tail trunk, LONG & lots of pictures - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
New Yamaha Owner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs up REVIEW: Chase Harper Aeropac II Tail trunk, LONG & lots of pictures

DISCLAIMER: I do not have anything to do with Chase Harper or anyone working for them. This review is not endorsed by them & its just my opinion which I thought of sharing with the motorcycle community. I also want to state that this is my first review for any product.

I have posted this same review at ADVrider.com as I frequent there, but I wanted to post it for my fellow FZ6 owners as well. You can view the thread here with pics if you dont like the slideshow : http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229164

NOTE about images: Since I cannot post more than 5 images, I have made a slideshow for all of you to see:

http://img186.imageshack.us/slidesho...853520wbr.smil

Scope:

I have been looking for a tail bag that can do it all ever since I owned my DR650. I wanted something I can dump my work stuff into & not worry about it. Since 90% of the time I use my bike for commuting, this was biggest criteria for selection. At that time I only wanted something to hold my shoes, my blackberry & lunch. I never got around to buying anything & I sold the DR. Got a new job, so got myself a new Yamaha FZ6. Now, in addtion to all the above items I now had a huge laptop bag that contained my laptop, charger, mouse & lots of documents. So my criteria became a bit tougher, I needed something that swallow the entire laptop bag when I am on the bike & when I take the cage I can just take my laptop bag as is without having to move any contents around. My laptop bag measured 17W 14H 4D & most mainsream tail bags that I came across just werent big enough to hold this. I gave up & decided to get myself a duffle bag & so ordered the Givi T418 duffle bag, which appealed to me in looks, price & features. The bag was good quality & was flexible enough to "flex" by laptop bag in. However, I just couldnt get it to mount on the damn bike. Givi bag sold. Back to the drawing board & somehow I came across the Chase Harper http://www.chaseharper.com/TailTrunk...2&fr=4502.htm& & I thought "hmm this looks large enough to hold my crap" & so I ordered it. The folks at Chase Harper were kind enough to accomodate my request for USPS shipping instead of UPS & the bag arrived in NJ from CA in 3 days.

The Trunk:

The bag arrived in a huge box & before opening I thought to myself "How the heck something this huge will look on my FZ??" , I opened it & there it was. All new black & at first glance you can notice this thing is high quality. No stiches hanging, the cordura is top notch, zippers slide without hesitation & the bungies look like they can hang someone from the ceiling. The pictures at their website dont do it justice, it looks a lot better in person & has a nice shape to it. The whole "trunk" is solid (except for the top cover) & with no items in doesnt collapse. All of this comes with a life time warranty! And the best part about this? Made In USA ! No offense to any products made elsewhere, but personally I like stuff made here.

The 2 wheeled Trunk:

So off I go out to try & mount it on my bike. After 10 minutes of adjusting the bungies & pulling the trunk in all directions for stability, I decided it was good to go. My first test was to take it for a 90 mile 1 way trip to my training class, which for that week only was from Mon-Fri & 95% of that was nothing but interstate yawning in the helmet. So I dump my laptop bag, blackberry, shoes, lunch, extra bungies & black fasteners that came with the bag & headed out. At first I noticed that it moved a bit when I was riding & that scared the shit out of me. I know it moved as I could feel it on my back (I sit slightly backwards, so it may be a non issue for folks who sit upright) For the first few miles, which were not on the interstate, I kept a constant eye through my mirrors to check if the bag was still there. The trunk refused to get off the bike, good, so I proceed to the exit ramp & I blast my way to merge into the traffic at 80MPH. I could not feel the bag anymore & I was like "Shit the bag is gone.....", looked in the mirror & the bag is still there. Stubborn. As I kept moving I couldnt believe its still there, since this is my first tail bag I couldnt let go of the fact that it was sturdy & tight enough to not fly away. After 90 miles, the trunk was still on my bike. The contents were not too snug so I expected everything to have moved around. But everything was just the way I had packed it, even my blackberry didnt move. I went over potholes, rapid acceleration, blah blah & the trunk proved every bit worth.

Hey its dry too!

In my 5 days of long distance training commuting, it rained twice. No torential downpours but rain, which at speeds of even 50MPH would make anything wet. I didnt purchase a rain bag for this & assumed that everything would be wet. I reach & take the trunk off the bike & yes it is wet & felt very strong about my earlier assumption. I take it to my apartment & quickly open it as I was worried about my training documents & my blackberry. I opened it & everything was BONE DRY, NOT A DROP inside !! Chase Harper claims this bag to be not waterproof but I can assure you it is. I rode in similar rain a second time & again I had my doubts but again not a drop went inside. The cordura is top grade & water just sits on it or slides off.

Summary:

I cant stress how pleased I am with this product & at the price I think is well deserved. The best utility mod so far on my bike. I have been using it for the past 3 weeks & everyday I spend a max of 20 seconds to put the trunk in place on the bike. After that I dont even bother checking if its there, except at traffic lights were I have nothing better to do. The bungies do stretch a bit after their initial use, so you will need to trighten them to get that snug fit that you initially setup. I adjusted mine 1 week ago & its been that way since.

Being Nit Picky:

Well I have to point out a few things, the bottom zippers that contain the bungies, well unfortunately on my bike the trunk extends a bit beyond the seat & rests on the brake light casing, anyway the those zippers tend to scratch the surface a bit. Oh well. I will probably just cover the casing with some tape to avoid contact. But the biggest problem I have? NO SHOULDER STRAP!! Nothing is more frustrating than using your swipe card to enter office while holding the trunk in one hand & your helmet in the other & at the same time trying to open the damn door.

The Nutshell:

+High quality material
+Can hold the kitchen sink
+Waterproof
+Sticks to bike like glue at highway speeds
+Like a 1 piece suit, on & off the bike is a quick & painless process
+MADE IN USA

-Zipper sratches my brake light casing but thats just me
-NO SHOULDER STRAP
-NO SHOULDER STRAP

Procrastination & Masturbation - Both are great until you realize you are screwing yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Saratogian

Nice write up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb
DISCLAIMER: I do not have anything to do with Chase Harper or anyone working for them. This review is not endorsed by them & its just my opinion which I thought of sharing with the motorcycle community. I also want to state that this is my first review for any product.
You must be a law school student....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NESBA #264

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 04:34 AM
NOT SURE

great review. i'm not sure that i like the look but it seems highly functional and when going on long trips that's what matters most.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
New Yamaha Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia
Nice write up.

You must be a law school student....
You are wrong twice I am neither a student nor do I have anything to do with law.

Looks wise its no head turner, but its not ugly either. Gets the job done.

Procrastination & Masturbation - Both are great until you realize you are screwing yourself.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:47 AM
Canadian Hoser-ette, eh!

Why didn't you just buy a givi trunk? That way you can take a passenger, and it can't be stolen.

Mods: Baehr Bike to Bike Intercom Communicator | Yamaha FZ6 Top Rack | Yamaha 44L Topcase | Corbin Seat | SW-Motech Risers | Heated Grips | Billet Gas Cap | Throttlemeisters | Motovation Frame Sliders | Puig Smoked Windshield | Back Off Tail Light Modulator | Billet Oil Cap | Led Pod Lights | Cup Holder

My Bikes: 2008 Kawi Ninja 250R | 1987 Yamaha TZR250 | 1988 Yamaha YSR50 | 1988 Yamaha TDR50
DH's Bike: 2007 Kawi Versys | DD's Bike: 2001 Kawi Ninja 250
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
New Yamaha Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by klouseau
Why didn't you just buy a givi trunk? That way you can take a passenger, and it can't be stolen.
Too expensive & too much hassle to install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in