Dual headlight Mod - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Back Marker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dual headlight Mod

Anyone have some detailed instructions with Photos on how to get both lights to come on in low beam operation? I cant figure out why the manufacturers dont have both headlights come on. It is a definite hazard for night riding. Half of my riding (commuting) is at night in traffic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 02:55 PM
NOT SURE

You can read a lot of entries by going to the FZ6 Mods section. But I gotta tell you that this mods is not legal on the west coast.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 02:58 PM
World Superbike Racer

Its relatively easy to do and probably the first mod a lot of people do. Before someone turns into the "search nazi" check this thread. I am sure there are directions there and maybe pics too.

mod

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Squaring Off City Corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieNYC
But I gotta tell you that this mods is not legal on the west coast.
what? why?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Bin Laden Huntin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddawg46
Anyone have some detailed instructions with Photos on how to get both lights to come on in low beam operation? I cant figure out why the manufacturers dont have both headlights come on. It is a definite hazard for night riding. Half of my riding (commuting) is at night in traffic.

Here are some pics from when I did the mod, hope it helps.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:12 PM
NOT SURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrednearBoston
what? why?
It's not a legal mod for Cali ppl who don't use the search function
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo

^ Nice one.

As the cars roar into Pennsylvania, the cradle of liberty, it seems apparent that our citizens are staying off the streets, which may make scoring particularly difficult, even with this year's rule changes. To recap those revisions: women are still worth 10 points more than men in all age brackets, but teenagers now rack up 40 points, and toddlers under 12 now rate a big 70 points. The big score: anyone, any sex, over 75 years old has been upped to 100 points.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:21 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddawg46
But why is it more dangerous for night riding? Are you implying that if you road a bike with only one headlight, it would be a hazard as well?

I have never encountered any problems from riding thia bike at night, whether it was in traffic, or some dark country road.

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

Last edited by rennsport; 04-30-2007 at 05:21 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Squaring Off City Corners

Quote:
It's not a legal mod for Cali ppl who don't use the search function
you, sir, are nuts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Saratogian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzagod
Here are some pics from when I did the mod, hope it helps.
Those are the pictures I used when changing mine over....very helpful.

Quote:
But I gotta tell you that this mods is not legal on the west coast.
Never heard that before and I'm not going to search for something that obsure when it's already be raised here....speak up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsport
But why is it more dangerous for night riding? Are you implying that if you road a bike with only one headlight, it would be a hazard as well?

I have never encountered any problems from riding thia bike at night, whether it was in traffic, or some dark country road.
Oh gaaawd........he's just saying it will probably be better with both on...and IT IS.

Think....lighting the side of the road much more than with only the left light on (I hope I don't need to explain the multitude of benefits from this) and think a better lit road when leaing the bike over in both directions at night.

It's easy, it's better, and it does not use a substantial amount of power you need for anything else....I don't care if you have 47 heated vests on...the dual light mod is not going to make or break your warmth or force you to deal with any other undesireable trade-offs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
NESBA #264

Quote:
Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Superbike Racer

For what it's worth, I did this last week, and used the other method, without soldering. You just jump from the bottom of the left headlight (the one that works now on low beam) to the top terminal of the right one (same as in above pics). No wires to skin back, just make yourself some right angle terminal adapters, crimp them on well, and then bolt it back together. I think it took me 20 minutes? Maybe 30 tops.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Bin Laden Huntin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap'n
For what it's worth, I did this last week, and used the other method, without soldering. You just jump from the bottom of the left headlight (the one that works now on low beam) to the top terminal of the right one (same as in above pics). No wires to skin back, just make yourself some right angle terminal adapters, crimp them on well, and then bolt it back together. I think it took me 20 minutes? Maybe 30 tops.

But with that method even when you turn the high beam on the low beam filament stays on as well.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:20 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyInertia

Oh gaaawd........he's just saying it will probably be better with both on...and IT IS.

Think....lighting the side of the road much more than with only the left light on (I hope I don't need to explain the multitude of benefits from this) and think a better lit road when leaing the bike over in both directions at night.

It's easy, it's better, and it does not use a substantial amount of power you need for anything else....I don't care if you have 47 heated vests on...the dual light mod is not going to make or break your warmth or force you to deal with any other undesireable trade-offs.

He said it was DANGEROUS. I asked how so. Saying that two lights is better than one, does not mean riding with only one light is DANGEROUS. It is just not as advantageous. As for lighting the side of a dark road, I would be running with high beams on. I never mentioned heated gear...

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Saratogian

Quote:
Saying that two lights is better than one, does not mean riding with only one light is DANGEROUS. It is just not as advantageous.
Right......which is why I explained what I interpreted his comments to mean. As in, oh god, you know what he means!

Quote:
As for lighting the side of a dark road, I would be running with high beams on.
Highbeams are only an option a fraction of the time!

Quote:
I never mentioned heated gear...
Really? I don't know what I was thinking with that one...

Quote:
instead of consuming another 55 watts of the only 320 matts tot al power available for a second low beam, I would rather use that wattage for a heated vest and heated grips in the colder months of the year. The vest I have draws 35 watts. I am not surewhat the grips consume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc
I consider the extra 55watts a safety improvement.
Cars notice you better when you have 2 headlights on.
Quote:
I consider avoiding hypothermia a safety issue as well.
Ok, I'm done. It's a good mod is all I'm saying...let's not confuse the newbs as to that ~fact.

NESBA #264

Quote:
Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
The Fugitive

Smile headlight mod

cap'n
the way you did it will probably cause problems!! You are powering both filiments on the H4 bulb when in highbeam mode. This could cause you to exceed the total wattage of the charging system. You need to do the mod that allows you to shut off the low filiment (in H4 bulb) when in high beam mode.
ST1100nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in