Dry clutch? Damn I want one right this second! - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If you’re looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - “For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.”

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Born to Lose, Live to Win

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dry clutch? Damn I want one right this second!

So I was out Sunday morning with some guys and we stopped at this huge biker restaurant. Some really tricked out Ducati's pulled up making the coolest friggin sound. Once they were all parked and situated I was talking to one of the guys about it. Long story short, is it even possible to get some sort of dry clutch kit for our bike? Or since the clutch is wet it would be impossible because the engine would have to be welded shut where that oil is coming from? Pardon the ignorance; I'm only a backyard mechanic.

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:07 PM
The Flying Finn

I would imagine the clutch is too close to the engine you'd have to invest some serious $$$ just to get a dry clutch.

And do you want this just for the cool sound? Cause our clutch works okay methinks...

Aaron - Former FZ6 Elitist - Former R1 Newb

For Sale: Alpinestars Venom 2-pc leather Racing Suit $750 obo

"In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher." - The 14th Dalai Lama
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:25 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It could be done IF, someone made a new clutch cover than what is currently on the bike. One that would kepp the oil in the engine. I have read of people removing the wet clutch from a Ducati and installing a dry clutch. This is easy, since there are two different engine clutch covers that fit the saem engine.

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

I figured this probably wasn't possible, unless I were to drop a lot of money. Just a though though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Habitual line-stepper

Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts

Well, a good number of ducati's COME with dry clutches.

The coolest is when they get the ventilated clutch covers... you can actually see the clutch moving on the inside, and the sound is MUCH louder.

Pretty sweet, if you ask me. But not enough to make me WANT one on my bike... my exhaust sounds cool enough to keep me satisfied.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM
World Superbike Champion

Sorry, you've got to pay extra for a bike that sounds like it's falling apart...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Most of the guys on the Duc's had the open clutch, that sound is sick! These guys must hae been loaded though, there bikes had everything... Brembo brakes, carbon fiber accents everywhere you could imagine, those exhaust pipes that start with Termag...something (they looked awesome), different rims than stock, Ohlins front forks and rear suspension...man, just thinking about those bikes makes me want one. I do love my Yammy though.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:44 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwilly
Well, a good number of ducati's COME with dry clutches.

The coolest is when they get the ventilated clutch covers... you can actually see the clutch moving on the inside, and the sound is MUCH louder.

Pretty sweet, if you ask me. But not enough to make me WANT one on my bike... my exhaust sounds cool enough to keep me satisfied.
I just visited a friend who bought a used Ducati 996, and it was all ready loaded with mods. It had 3400 miles on it (1999) and came with a bunch of extras as well as all the stock stuff. He just bought the new vented clutch cover to replace his solid cover. It sounded great to begin with so I can't wait to hear it when he vents it.

Question though... when you have a dry clutch and vent it, what happens to clutching if you get caught in the rain and soak it? Ride over til it dries out? Keeps going? Or, did them Italians put in a blow dryer?

*-={FZ1inNH}=-* `09 Cobalt Blue FZ1
*Cortech Sport Saddle and Tail bags**Tank Camera Mount**T-REX Frame Sliders**De-stickered **Two Brothers Racing Slip-on Exhaust **AIS Block Off **LARS Airbox Mod **De-Screened Stock Air Filter**Modded stock rear fender*
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Habitual line-stepper

Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz6innh
I just visited a friend who bought a used Ducati 996, and it was all ready loaded with mods. It had 3400 miles on it (1999) and came with a bunch of extras as well as all the stock stuff. He just bought the new vented clutch cover to replace his solid cover. It sounded great to begin with so I can't wait to hear it when he vents it.

Question though... when you have a dry clutch and vent it, what happens to clutching if you get caught in the rain and soak it? Ride over til it dries out? Keeps going? Or, did them Italians put in a blow dryer?

Not that much water is going to get in there in the first place...

But you have to remember that your clutch is basically the same material as your brake pads. When it rains do your brakes stop working?

It may slip for a second, but all the friction makes that sucker HOT. It'll just vaporize water like it's nothing.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Cubicle Ostrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfrz
Most of the guys on the Duc's had the open clutch, that sound is sick! These guys must hae been loaded though, there bikes had everything... Brembo brakes, carbon fiber accents everywhere you could imagine, those exhaust pipes that start with Termag...something (they looked awesome), different rims than stock, Ohlins front forks and rear suspension...man, just thinking about those bikes makes me want one. I do love my Yammy though.
As for the clutch getting wet, it does'nt really hurt it, and it's usually mostly covered by the fairings. Depends on the model though, the 900SS's were exposed.

A lot of those "mods" were actually factory from Ducati, especially on the 996, etc, if you got the 'R' or 'S' version (I forget which, they used both). Ducati used to be a true exotic company, (well OK they've had a really varied history, but during the 90's anyway) and used TOP of the line parts for everything.

My friend has a 916 (considered a seminal bike by many) and it has all the kit. Termignoni CF exhaust, CF bits everywhere, steering damper, special Ohlins suspension (front and rear) made just for that bike by Ohlins, Brembo brakes and even special Brembo-made wheels for the 916, 1/4-turn fasteners on the plastics, etc etc. Of course, that bike was like $25-30,000 new, and that's in 1996 dollars. Look at the 1098 for only $15,000 in 2007 dollars, and if you look at all the parts and pieces, it's all basic run-of-the-mill factory parts. Unless, you buy the 'S' version which is $25,000.

Anyway, the 916/996 were pretty much top of the line for every part on the bike. They were the Ferrari's of the bike world.

And the dry clutch chatter does sound sweet, although people constantly ask him why his bike sounds like that. And there is nothing in the world so intoxicating as the sound of a big ducati v-twin with Termi's!

Oh and I've ridden it a few times and holy F is that thing powerful!!!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Saratogian

With every passing day I realize more and more that I'm eventually going to end up with a Duc.....if only as a track bike.

NESBA #264

Quote:
Flats do happen, but it's not enough of a problem to attach magnets or brooms to your bike....
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Supersport Racer

I want one of them new hypermotards, their hot looking.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:49 AM

ahh the dukes
love the dry clucth sound and the fact that they dont use valve springs

ohh and im the the spares parts for frasers ( ducati spares in wa )
hell YES!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM

Man I miss my M900s with open clutch and low mount oval carbon fiber Termignoni's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in