Removing The Fuel Tank - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If you’re looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - “For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.”

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Removing The Fuel Tank

i need to take off fuel tank. Is there anything i need to know about taking off the tank besides unscrewing and disconnecting the hoses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2006, 05:23 PM
QT50 Riding Champ

This might help. It also might not since I didn't read it.

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...+fz6+fuel+tank

jimundascores
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Going fast is fun!

Just looked at the link provided above. Very helpful. But, sounded like you may not need to fully remove the tank to do some things. Just swing it up. What do people need to fully remove the tank for?

Last edited by William_Mumford; 11-18-2006 at 06:24 AM.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 09:49 AM
TD Survivor

drain the fuel out first.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 05:31 PM
YamaNut Dweeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoliander
drain the fuel out first.

nope... you'll have a problem with that (I know - I've done this).

Remove the tank by removing the head bolts, lifting it up, then removing the fuel pump connection and the over flow hoses. remove rear bolt and then set aside. If you need to remove the fuel, you can either remove the filler cap - or remove the fuel pump. either are not too tricky, but the fuel pump does require a bit more finess (watch out for the release tab on it - don't break it!)

Jim

FAZR6's FE with mini LEDs| One-Eleven Sliders | Galfer SS Brake lines | Headlight Mod and SilverStar bulbs | Drag Bars | Custom Blue LED Underlighting | Arrow CAT eliminator | LED Flushies with POD lights .....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
World Superbike Champion

you dont need to drain the fuel out first, i've removed my tank loads of times! There is lots of things you can do without takin it off but sometimes easier to get it out of the way.

Take your seat off first, then remove the two bolts at the front of the tank by the headstock (if you've got a faired one i think you need to take the two side panels off first) then flip the tank up, i use a old oil container and prop it up on the airbox but anything will do. once the tank is propped up you have to pull out the two breather pipes that run down the right hand side of the bike, they should just pull through but be carefull not to split or break em, you can then just keep em attatched to the tank.

Next you have to disconnect the electrical harness for the fuel pump, just pull off the two connectors but remember which is for which. once thats all off its just the fuel line, theres a little clip which holds it on, this just clips off, then you have the fuel line with two "buttons" on the side, pinch these together (you'll know what i mean when you see it) and you can just pull the pipe off, be carefull not to break the connector but you should be ok as long as you dont force it. you will probably spill a little fuel out of the pipe (its just residual, its not gonna start gushing out on you), so just hold it over the side to drain on the floor, if your bothered about spilling it on your bike i suppose you could put a rag under before you disconnect it.

Next thing to do is carefully place the tank back down and remove the long bolt holding the tank on at the back, after that the tank will just lift off, make sure you've prepared somewhere to place the tank down before you take it off, you cant just lay it flat on the floor as it will rest on and break the fuel pump connector so you have to suspend it on something, i usually get the seat and turn it upside down so the leather is on the ground. i rest the front of the tank on this then use my old oil container to support it at the back, just make sure its stable before you leave it! so there you go, sorted!

i just noticed that you live in california and if you have a cal spec bike it may be slightly different! there may be an extra connector and only one of the pipes on the tank (i think its a breather pipe, the other is a fuel overflow and i dont think its on the cal models) just check this out before you start playin'

Last edited by vaanen; 11-18-2006 at 08:17 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 06:22 PM
liquid cooled fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaanen
you dont need to drain the fuel out first, i've removed my tank loads of times! There is lots of things you can do without takin it off but sometimes easier to get it out of the way.

Take your seat off first, then remove the two bolts at the front of the tank by the headstock (if you've got a faired one i think you need to take the two side panels off first) then flip the tank up, i use a old oil container and prop it up on the airbox but anything will do. once the tank is propped up you have to pull the two breather pipes up on the right hand side, they should just pull through but be carefull not to split or break em, you can then just keep em attatched to the tank.

Next you have to disconnect the electrical harness for the fuel pump, just pull off the two connectors but remember which is for which. once thats all off its just the fuel line, theres a little clip which holds it on, this just clips off, then you have the fuel line with two "buttons" on the side, pinch these together (you'll know what i mean when you see it) and you can just pull the pipe off, be carefull not to break the connector but you should be ok as long as you dont force it. you will probably spill a little fuel out of the pipe (its just residual, its not gonna start gushing out on you), so just hold it over the side to drain on the floor, if your bothered about spilling it on your bike i suppose you could put a rag under before you disconnect it.

Next thing to do is carefully place the tank back down and remove the long bolt holding the tank on at the back, after that the tank will just lift off, make sure you've prepared somewhere to place the tank down before you take it off, you cant just lay it flat on the floor as it will rest on and break the fuel pump connector so you have to suspend it on something, i usually get the seat and turn it upside down so the leather is on the ground. i rest the front of the tank on this then use my old oil container to support it at the back, just make sure its stable before you leave it! so there you go, sorted!

i just noticed that you live in california and if you have a cal spec bike it may be slightly different! there may be an extra connector and only one of the pipes on the tank (i think its a breather pipe, the other is a fuel overflow and i dont think its on the cal models) just check this out before you start playin'
some piccies might help. In no particular order.

breather hoses, 'lectric connections and fuel line still attached

2 'lectric connectors removed, fuel line still attached. You can see
the clip holding it in place.

Clip removed, you can see "inside" the connector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(pdf)

, basic (pdf)

to

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Banned

The usual helpful chainzilla.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 08:27 PM
World Superbike Champion

thats strange chainzilla, on my bike the pipe on the left of the tank goes through that little V shaped bracket on the fuel pump and down to the right side of the bike with the other pipe. Both are held in a bracket at the bottom of the frame along with the coolant overflow pipe, yours seem to be one on each side??????
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 09:17 PM
liquid cooled fool

I aim to please
Vaanen, I think I took this pic after putting the gas tank on the bike so yeah, most likely that's where the hose goes. I didn't have a problem routing it but I gotta make a note to fix it next time when I have the tank up. Thanks.

Hey bob12312357, we need to organize a nice polar bear ride. Jan. or Feb. NY or PA or somewhere in between. You in ?

(pdf)

, basic (pdf)

to

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainzilla
I aim to please
Vaanen, I think I took this pic after putting the gas tank on the bike so yeah, most likely that's where the hose goes. I didn't have a problem routing it but I gotta make a note to fix it next time when I have the tank up. Thanks.

Hey bob12312357, we need to organize a nice polar bear ride. Jan. or Feb. NY or PA or somewhere in between. You in ?
Damn skippy.I bought some nice HD winter gloves. These things rock and they are the only winter gloves that look like they would hold up in a crash. Name the time and place.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:58 AM
The Flying Finn

Am I the only one who saw chainzillas new Avatar and totally forgot about bikes???

Aaron - Former FZ6 Elitist - Former R1 Newb

For Sale: Alpinestars Venom 2-pc leather Racing Suit $750 obo

"In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher." - The 14th Dalai Lama
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 06:29 AM
Banned

too bad it's just a head shot....the rest must look equally inviting....
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magseal
too bad it's just a head shot....the rest must look equally inviting....
This cumming from a chronic masterbator.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Banned

it's a disease....with no cure. I have to live with the debilitating effects the rest of my life. I am doomed to a lifetime of self pleasuring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in