Rear shock mod/long term test - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If you’re looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - “For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.”

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Rear shock mod/long term test

Well I have about 5000 miles on my very custom rear shock mod. Some of you are going to love this and some of you are going to think I'm a nut, and then some of you are going to be disappointed that I put Honda parts on the ol' Fazzer. Yep, Honda. I put an '04 CBR F4i rear shock on the back of my bike. It is by no means a drop in mod, not even close. Its so far from close that I'm not even going to tell you all the steps cuz I doubt anyone will be interested in doing it. It was however a very very nice improvement...and it only cost $35. I got the shock off of Ebay, supposedly 400 miles on it, then it was swapped for an ohlins. I had to do a lot of machine work to the bottom of the shock. It was about twice as wide as it should be to fit in our swing arm, but the pin dia. was exact. I also had to mod the swing arm. The black piece you see in the pic is a steal structeral reinforcement. I had to remove a bit of metal off the top of the mount and wanted to make up for it with the extra metal to the side. As for the top of the shock, again the correct pin dia., but this time I had to whip out some spacers. The over all length of the shock was very close. It actually ended up being a couple of mm longer as best I could tell. All of this was kinda risky since I had to mod the swing arm, but I enjoy the challenge, so I did it. It sure could have cost a lot of money if it wouldn't have worked out. This is not my first time doing something like this, I find the challenge to be fun. I did however, spend a lot of time keeping track of what everything was doing. For the first 500 miles, I checked everything over for movement or cracks about every 75-100 miles. Better safe the sorry. I've since checked it a couple of other times in the last 4500 miles also. Zero problems anywhere. The shock is doing a great job. Yeah its not an Olhin's or some other high dollar shock, but it was a nice inexpensive alternative to the nonadjustable econo shock that came on the bike. It was also a nice complement to the R6 front shock up grade. I've adjusted the rear shock a couple of time by its self and can easily notice the differences. It actually took me a bit to get used to, the bike 'falls' over quickly when you lean it into a turn. The first couple of time I did it, I quickly jerked it back up just out of instinct. Once I got used to it though, the bike was awesome. It is very stable even leaned all the way over to the edge of the tire. All the road variations are absorbed easily. By the way, with the 2mm of extra length in the rear shock, I can use 100% of the rear tread and not touch the pegs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension 013.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	65089   Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension 016.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	385.3 KB
ID:	65090   Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension 022.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	65091   Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension 027.jpg
Views:	1823
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	65092   Click image for larger version

Name:	suspension 020.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	452.4 KB
ID:	65093  

'06 Cobalt Blue FJR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

What brought me to SBN:
'05 Cerulean Silver/Black FZ6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:24 AM

Congrats. Awesome job and workmanship,, and glad you are happy with your own work. Obviously had a lot of experience at this (as you mentioned). Definitely not something I would even attempt, but rather pay the money for an Ohlins or something else.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:58 PM
Theres no I in threesome

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

You know, I dont think you need that reinforcement in there. The direction of the force on that structure is always down, so taking material off the top shouldn't affect its integrity much. Do you think I could emulate the machine work on the shock with a hack saw and grinder?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:00 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I'm impressed. (Definitely not a mod - I think a surgeon would classify this as a transplant.)

"Magic Carpet" = Yamaha FZ6-2005 (Engineered)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killernoodle
You know, I dont think you need that reinforcement in there. The direction of the force on that structure is always down, so taking material off the top shouldn't affect its integrity much. Do you think I could emulate the machine work on the shock with a hack saw and grinder?
I half heartedly felt the same way about the reinforcement. But in the end decided to put it there anyway because I wanted to feel safe. If I would have left it out, then I would have bothered me. As far as the hack saw and grinder are concerned, I hope you have a sure hand.

'06 Cobalt Blue FJR

What brought me to SBN:
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Theres no I in threesome

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

EDIT: nevermind, my computer is just being retarded.

Last edited by killernoodle; 12-04-2005 at 05:42 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:46 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I don't understand that black collar reinforcement at all. Is it part of the original shock? Do you add it? What is it made of?

Are you trying to get it to compensate for the "necking" at the bottom axle head (where you ground it down to make it fit)?

"Magic Carpet" = Yamaha FZ6-2005 (Engineered)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 05:50 PM

looks good, good job man .
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton
I don't understand that black collar reinforcement at all. Is it part of the original shock? Do you add it? What is it made of?

Are you trying to get it to compensate for the "necking" at the bottom axle head (where you ground it down to make it fit)?
The reinforcement isn't for the shock at all. Its for the swingarm, specifically where the shock attaches. I had to remove a little bit of metal from the top of that mount. It is made of steal.

'06 Cobalt Blue FJR

What brought me to SBN:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in