Why I don't mod my Yamaha FZ6 - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If youíre looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - ďFor a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.Ē

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Why I don't mod my Yamaha FZ6

"Why I don't mod my Yamaha FZ6." Boy, am I going to get flamed for this thread. But here it goes.

Since having my new FZ6-2005, I have read with enjoyment endless threads of how bikers have tricked-out their bike - be it an FZ6 or other models. I have found it fascinating reading and picture-viewing of the after-market products they have added or changed to their bike. With each such product, a little voice whispers in my ear, asking if I should add that mod too.

"Each to their own", they say. Then, here it is: For me, a pragmatist, I don't have any use for high-performance components that my non-track riding could ever warrant. Although I have been able to do the typical tricks (wheelies, stoppies, fishtailing, speeding) - I instead don't bother with them in general practise.

I am not a seasoned rider at all, but, as a design engineer, I love the concept of motorcycles. They are brilliant machines. Just the counter-intuitive notion of riding on an unbalanced (in static state) posture of only two wheels, is mesmerizing. Then the gracefullness of riding around a turn with the bike yawed over is virtually spirtual. (But I digress - I really am writing in praise of the "perfection" of the FZ6 in its stock state.)

Now, if I may, let me relish in the stock design of this bike. IMHO, I think the engineers at Yamaha have done a virtually perfect job of designing and spec'ing the components on the FZ6. (In fact, for what each bike model is trying to do, I have rarely found faults in other models either - although so many other models and types are not suited to me and my riding.) While the components of the FZ6 are not "top notch", they are "good enough", and while that statement may sound denigrating, it is actually a compliment for the bike's "sensibility" and "rationality".

So what is the FZ6 to me? Well, I choose this bike cuz:
- To be used as a workday commuter and weekend sportster.
- Comfortable for long rides, sporty for short rides.
- Easy to ride, easy to maintain.
- Reliable mechanics (EFI fueling).
- Durable (light weight, plastic fairings, panels and fenders).

For what I wanted, the FZ6 fits the bill. So modding isn't necessary for me. (If I wanted a faster bike I should have gone with a FZ1, or a R6 for a sporter bike, or ... etc, etc).

So, in being true to what a FZ6 is meant to be, and is, here is why I won't be modding the FZ6:

- The windscreen is perfect in that it is wide and tall enough to deflect the wind off my chest, but it is short enough to allow undisturbed (quieter) air to flow to the helmet. Anything quieter would be a "full height" shield which then would slow down the bike.

- The tires are perfect in that their rubber is sticky enough for grip but not so much that it diminishes the life span. Besides, I don't drag my pegs enough to warrant any more glue on my tires.

- The "winking" headlights certainly look odd. However, had both lamps been on in running mode, then the electrical load and gas consumption would rise (50 Watt bulb needs about 0.3 Hp, which increases fuel consumption about 2% under normal load). There is even an increase in cager-awareness of the winking headlamp, cuz of its oddity.

- The stock muffler is perfect. The stock muffler produces about 90 dB under full load on the FZ6, while high performance slip-ons increase the noise up to 100 dB while only improving power by about 2 Hp. As I don't need any more horsepower, I prefer the advantage given to my ears with the quieter pipes.

- I am keeping my catalytic converter. I am proud that my bike is polluting the air by one third of my automobile. Why reverse the environmental friendless of any bike by ripping out the "cat". Again, I don't need the extra 2 Hp that the cat robs.

- I don't need a PowerCommander. Again, cuz I don't need the extra 2 Hp at the expense of increased fuel consumption and air pollution.

- I am keeping my rear fender. This is not an R1 so who am I kidding. On the other hand, the full fender makes cleaning the bike easier after coming out of the rain.

- I don't need a seat cowling, as it would only be something to add weight, collect grit, and preclude the addition of a pillion or tail bag.

- I won't remove the flashers for flush mount units. The flush units look cool, but they also have reduced visibility from offset angles - dangerous.

- I won't change the sprocket size. While different sprockets can increase torque, it is at the expense of increased fuel consumption when at highway speeds. Again, I don't need a wheelie at each stop.

That being said, I will fess up and disclose what I have done to my bike (but it is not modding, I tell ya!):

- Added heated grips, so I can ride 12 months a year.
- Added frame sliders, to save money later if the inevitable happens.
- Added a tail bag, to carry rain gear (which is mandatory on the northern West Coast).
- Added extra bar-end mirrors, to eliminate blind spot behind my tail.
- Added tank pads, cuz it makes squeezing a cold tank more comfortable.
- Removed manufacturer labels, (okay, so that is a real mod - but it is free).

Now, let me apologize to all those modders on this forum. (Just between you and me, I am impressed with your industrious skill.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Ride Naked

Great post. Glad to see someone out there as in love with their FZ as I am. I'll still mod, but it doesn't mean I love her any less!
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Superbike Champion

Only things I've done to mine were add the GenMar risers for comfort and some foam grips (finding out now the grips were probably unnecessary). I give the modders credit too, but am just not interested in doing anything to mine. Time is a factor too - with two wives and a kid, it's pretty hard to get time to mess with the bike!

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Respect My Authority!

I agree with everything except the headlight. Purely from an aesthetic perspective. It just looks better with both lights on. The only reason I changed the wind screen is because of my unfortunate crash and the price difference for the Puig was minimal. Once again this is only a styling issue since the wind screen acts very similar to the OEM version. Otherwise I agree with the other points. I eventually see myself on an FZ1 for the upgraded suspension and power. Of course frame sliders should come standard, but because the didn't, I installed a set. Oh yeah, I am getting a Corbin because the stock seat gets uncomfortable during all day rides and it is uncomfortable for even short rides for my passenger.

Last edited by SilverBuzz; 03-31-2005 at 04:49 PM.
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:47 PM

Stock - Rocks !!! LOL
My faster blue 04' fz6 is 99% stock... almost virginal...I just use the high beams etc and I like the slamed plastic rear fender...
but the seat does suck !!!
like I said 99 %
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Patpuma,

Yup, same family/work commitments. I agree with "comfort" oriented mods (risers, etc), cuz the manufacturer could never have a bike suit the varying body sizes of the riders.

It is the "performance" oriented mods that I see as being often counter-productive (increased fuel consumption, noise, weight, etc).
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

SilverBuzz,

The only minor bug in the FZ6 I have experienced is vibration coming through the seat at 5000 rpm. I suspect the Corbin seat could remedy that.

Before I opt for that mod, I am going to ride through the summer and see if my butt can develop some immunity to the buzz, or maybe as the stock seats packs down the vibration might stop getting transmitted.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldermic
Stock - Rocks !!! LOL
My faster blue 04' fz6 is 99% stock... almost virginal...I just use the high beams etc and I like the slamed plastic rear fender...
but the seat does suck !!!
like I said 99 %
I do likewise. In fact, if I come into an intersection with an oncoming car waiting to turn left (into my path), I instantly turn on the highbeam and keep it on. I can see through their windshield that they instantly take notice of me (Yippy!). My other trick is to wiggle (be careful) the bike as I come up to the intersection (it works!).

... Attention over style.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Superbike Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton
SilverBuzz,

The only minor bug in the FZ6 I have experienced is vibration coming through the seat at 5000 rpm. I suspect the Corbin seat could remedy that.

Before I opt for that mod, I am going to ride through the summer and see if my butt can develop some immunity to the buzz, or maybe as the stock seats packs down the vibration might stop getting transmitted.
I take it your bike isn't fully broken in yet? The reason I ask is because on mine, the 5K vibes started going away after the first 700 miles or so. Started to diminish at roughly 700 miles and were almost gone by about 900 miles. After 1500 miles, there are still some vibes, but not nearly what there were prior to the 700 mile mark.

Oh, BTW, I have a wife and two kids, not two wives and a kid! Just checked my previous post! DOH!!!
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Patpuma,

I did have a chuckle with the 2 wifes bit - but I got the gist. I am gradually indoctrinating my family into bikes. My 7-year daughter has a poster in her bedroom of an R1 and she can identify ALL the components on a bike (oil pump, etc).

I am at 2500 km (1600 mi), so it is mechanically broken in. The seat is padded with foam, which will harden over a couple of years as the volatile oils evaporate. This will change the transmitivity to vibration - for better or worse? I don't know.

I can stop the vibration merely by squeezing my knees more against the tank (horseback riding). The vibration also stops by changing the engine speed about 1000 rpm, but I don't want to change my speed just for this trivial annoyance.
post #11 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Ride Naked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patpuma
Oh, BTW, I have a wife and two kids, not two wives and a kid! Just checked my previous post! DOH!!!
I guess I should just keep my big thumbs up and "You da man!" that I was going to give you then.
post #12 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton
I love the concept of motorcycles. They are brilliant machines. Just the counter-intuitive notion of riding on an unbalanced (in static state) posture of only two wheels, is mesmerizing. Then the gracefullness of riding around a turn with the bike yawed over is virtually spirtual.
I am with you 100% on that.

As for the mods; its all about what makes you happy. Some guys get more enjoyment from modding than riding, some get their enjoyment from riding and only work on the bike when the maintenance schedule can't be ignored any longer. Good for you to have the conviction to stick to your, essentially, stock bike and insight to evaluate the usefulness of each mod for your riding purposes.
post #13 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
jess wanna ryd

now...how many times were you flamed? (again stated)(to each his own)

ceek

[CENTER]05 [COLOR=Blue]Blue[/COLOR] FZ6(finally!!!):grinbounc [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Older but Not wiser than y'all [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] FAZR6's FE :dblthumb AWEsome Mike!! [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] LSL Sliders [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Garmin Zumo[COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR]Givi E21's
Corbin [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Givi V46 [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] bar risers [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] TCP Seat Cowl [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Crazymofo's bar cover [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Rear LSL sliders [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Power Steering [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Power Locks[COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR]AC
HeadLight Mod :dblthumb Thanks WTVa [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Puig Double Bubble [COLOR=Blue]B[/COLOR]lue Windshield [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Scorpio i500S [COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR] Chatterbox FRSX2[COLOR=Blue]|[/COLOR]Lighted Ashtrays
[CENTER][CENTER][/CENTER][/CENTER][/CENTER]
post #14 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:25 PM

I too have been amused at the mod frenzy for so little gain per $ spent, especially when one starts with am almost perfect moto. But to each his own. My lone "mod" is LSL frame sliders. I do have Oxford soft luggage (tank/tail bag and panniers) but do not consider them a "mod".
post #15 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I bought my FZ6 because I fell for its styling and engineering, but no motorcycle is built to "completely" satisfy everyone.

I still like the way mine looks and handles, but I'm planning on doing some mods to enhance my riding.

First, Frame sliders: (already done with LSLs) This offers some protection to my baby in case my footing slips while backing up-- tee hee. Had two close calls already.

Second, Handlebars: I want a straight, no rise/no sweep, and a 2 inch reach back so my wrist is straight and elbows bent when riding. It gets kinda sore on long rides. (Leaning towards getting a MV Motorrad riser to accomodate this mod)

Third, I'm thinking of a Fender Eliminator to enable #4.

Fourth, Side hard cases that can be secured and locked in place but easily detachable. (Still on research)

That's all for now, but I'm sure the list will grow as I put on the miles.
I hope you all enjoy your FZ6 as I enjoy mine be it stock or fully modded.

Has anyone added a sidecar yet?

Anyone planning on adding 2 more wheels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in