Southeast Fazers-Ga Mtn Ride/Mini-Rally - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If you’re looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - “For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.”

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
FSRA Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Talking Southeast Fazers-Ga Mtn Ride/Mini-Rally

Is there any interest in a Spring FZ6 get-together in the Georgia mountains? Late March/early April? TWO campground? Comments/suggestions? There are plenty of roads up there that are awesome, and not as popular as The Dragon and similar roads that have reputations and increased enforcement. My buddy and I rode some roads above Helen that were to die for and we didn't see three or four cars, much less LEO. There's also some roads that are three lanes wide - if you're headed up the mountain, you get two lanes. We could do some pre-ride planning here, get together on a Friday, firm things up at the campsite, and ride our arsses off Sat and Sun.
The website for TWO is twowheelsonly.com. Hope you can make it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 04:52 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricerc
Is there any interest in a Spring FZ6 get-together in the Georgia mountains? Late March/early April? TWO campground? Comments/suggestions?

There is also a BMW rally that is held in Hiawassee GA, not far from Helen. It takes place on the first weekend in May. This year the date falls on April 29, 30 and May 1st. It is held at the Bald Mountain Campground.

It is a BMW rally but, there are plenty of other brands there. I have been riding to it every year since 1995.

Oh as for Deal's Gap, it is close enough for a day trip from Hiawassee/Helen.

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:13 PM

I would be up for a rally at deal's gap. I've always wanted to get down there, but I hear horror stories about the law enforcement. I would still like to go, I can't believe it would be all that bad.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 06:19 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakesfz6
I would be up for a rally at deal's gap. I've always wanted to get down there, but I hear horror stories about the law enforcement. I would still like to go, I can't believe it would be all that bad.
It all depends on the mood of the TN State Police

Rennsport - FZ6 Elitist

I feel sorry for people who do not drink. When they wake up in the morning it is as good as they are going to feel all day. - Frank Sinatra
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:25 PM

I would love to come. I am in Birmingham, Alabama. If work permits i would love to come ride. I am new to high speed corners and hard riding like that so i would have to take it a bit more cautious. Keep me posted though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 07:45 PM

I'm all over this one!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
FSRA Member

I was hoping to avoid the Gap, Cherahola(sp?), and all those popular places because of law enforcement. My point is that there are wonderful roads to be ridden that are not jammed with leather clad hyperbike riders and pissed off LEOs. We can have something lower key and have a better riding experience. People get killed on a regular basis at the Gap. Tractor-trailer rigs take that route and drive real slow and take two lanes to make some of the turns. One of those famous roads has been in the news as of late with stories of 100+ mph stunters and law enforcement increasing fines to $500+ and asking judges for jailtime. There's at least a couple days riding up there without having to deal with any of that stuff, and riding is what it's all about, right?

How does April 1,2,3 sound? If the date aproaches and it looks like bad weather, we'll set an alternate. We can all meet at the campground Friday night, get aquainted, even form groups if some want to go faster or slower than others or pick different destinations. Ride all day Saturday, and Sunday until we have to leave for home. I'm itchin to go already!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 08:20 AM
POP

Quote:
People get killed on a regular basis at the Gap.
Not as many people die at the Gap as you would think. Since '95 there's been 12 deaths. Normally that sounds like a lot but when you consider the amount of bike traffic that one little area gets and it's not that bad.

I'd love to join you guys but (weather permitting) I'll be at the Gap and various other mountain roads the weekend before. Unfortunately not enough dough to do two weekends in a row.

Past machines:'02 Kawaski Drifter, '04 Yamaha FZ6, '02 Honda RC51
Current machine:'03 Honda 600RR

Last edited by ukdej79; 02-16-2005 at 08:23 AM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-16-2005, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
FSRA Member

If enough people want to go to the Gap, then we'll go. I'm sure it would still be fun. If you've never been, check out tailofthedragon.com and dealsgap.com. We can do anything the group wants to do, time and weather permitting.

What do you guys think about TWO campground? It's in Suches, GA and the website is twowheelsonly.com. If most of you would like to do the Gap, 129, Cherohala, etc.., we may need to camp further north. The annual FJ1200 rally is held at the KOA campground in Tellico Plains, TN. Unicoi State park is nice also, and is just above Helen, GA. Rennsport mentioned Bald Mountain campground in Hiawassee, GA. Suggestions/comments?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
FSRA Member

So far we have three IN and another three MAYBEs. There must be more that want to romp in the mountains with their own kind. If you guys have issues with the dates and/or place, speak up and we'll work it all out. This should be a great time for everybody - put faces to names, strengthen the FZ6 network, and awesome riding. Once you ride up there, you'll be jonesing to come back from then on.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 10:49 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
So far we have three IN and another three MAYBEs. There must be more that want to romp in the mountains with their own kind. If you guys have issues with the dates and/or place, speak up and we'll work it all out. This should be a great time for everybody - put faces to names, strengthen the FZ6 network, and awesome riding. Once you ride up there, you'll be jonesing to come back from then on.
I'd like to, but that's just too far South for me. I'm hoping to hook up with the VA gang though.

Old enough to know better; still too young to care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in