Another handler option? - Sportbikes.net
FZ6/FZ6R If you’re looking for one bike to perform a multitude of missions, look no further. Take it from Cycle World* Magazine - “For a more advanced rider looking for a bike to do it all, there is no other choice.”

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Another handler option?

Just wanted to share info on some new bars I have on my bike. They were made by http://www.suburban-machinery.com/yamaha1.htm
My riding buddy has an FZ1 and he had their FZ1 bar on his so I thought I'd order one and see if it fit our bike. The FZ1 bar puts him about an inch lower and 2 forward. Well, no matter how much I worked with the angle, that bar didn't fit as the brake and clutch lever made contact with the fairing. I called Suburban and they said they were just waiting for an FZ6 owner to go through the design process with them. I think they got it in one take as I put the latest version on today and it fits! With your fingers on the levers, you will still contact the fairing at total extension but no big deal. They changed the angle of the bars upward so that the levers will clear the rubber fitting where our mirror stems are connected. It only lowers the bar about 1/4 inch but still moves you forward about 2 inches and keeps a good angle in the bars which was what I was looking for. Weather was good here this afternoon so I got to check them out...I love 'em. I was looking for a more aggressive position but not radical. It's easier to get out of the wind as my elbows aren't as bent and there's better feedback from the front end.
I called Suburban, gave them my feedback and some pics, they said they would start production and probably have some available on their site within a month. They will also have them in high gloss black. They aren't cheap at $150 but they feel great and sure look good IMHO. Here are some pics, hope this helps. By the way, I'm 5' 7" in case you are wondering...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	done1.JPG
Views:	677
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	23724   Click image for larger version

Name:	center.JPG
Views:	467
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	23725   Click image for larger version

Name:	brake.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	23726   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs stock.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	23727   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs stock 2.JPG
Views:	437
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	23728  

2004 FZ6
"When I'm riding a motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive" Neil Peart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 07:42 PM

I have heard and read that somebody was already producing low mount handlebars for the FZ6. Is that not true? As with the FZ1, I'm assuming anybody that can weld aluminum will be turning them out. Is Suburban the only game in town thus far? I'm very interested in the bars you have posted, I was just hoping to get them lower by more that 1/4". Thanks for your input.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Sportbike.net junkie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Those are nice!!!!

Fazr6's Fender Eliminator (Thanks Mike!)_____PCIII usb (Thanks Doug!)_____Speedohealer_____ Dual Headlight Mod_____Cheetah Alarm sys_____15 Tooth JT Front Sprocket_____BMC Air Filter_____Gel Pad installed_____My CAT eliminator.(The first homemade one for the FZ6!)_____FS6 Frame Sliders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[*url=
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
google_ad_section_end -->

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 03:47 PM
Livin' on the Edge!

Looks good. Does the posture feel much different than stock? The difference seems fairly subtle. I know you didn't care for the extreme change that my bars made or the very forward posture that they create so this looks more suitable to your riding preferences. We need to hook up again soon and ride so that I can see them in person. Nice job finding those bars and if you find anything else off the wall like that please let us know. I have a hard time finding stuff for this bike.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-29-2004, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Another handlebar option?

I haven't had time to play with the angle on these bars. I basically just had time to throw them on, see that they fit and then RIDE! Hopefully you can see that by angling them downward, they will not only lower but also move forward. I have about 1/4" left before contact to brake lever now but I think I can go forward and down a little more. Will do that next week.
As for the riding position, I certainly don't have long arms so it's definitely what I was looking for, a little more lean and more agressive but I think I want more and I might be able to get that with some angle experimenting. What I really like about these is they are angled back towards me and that was the biggest dislike that I had for the bars on FAZR6's beauty. I also plan on putting bar ends on the inside ends which will make them look even better. I'll update...
FAZR6, let's ride!!! I gotta work this w/e though

2004 FZ6
"When I'm riding a motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I'm glad to be alive" Neil Peart
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 01:55 PM

Any update on these handlebars? Have you been able to put some miles on them? Can you describe the differences between these and the stock bars as far as handling and riding position is concerned? How about taking some pictures of the full bike from the side to see how the appearance changes? Thanks a bunch!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Handlebars

I will post a full update with pics by mid-week, no time now as I just got back into town and need to get caught up on things before Monday morning

2004 FZ6
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-10-2004, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Handlebars

I've put several hundred miles on with the new bars...they work well for me. They don't lower much vs stock, maybe 1/4" but do put you forward 2". I tried making all the adjustments but can't get them lower because of contact with the clutch and brake. They give me a little more agressive riding position which was what I was looking for, I put most of my miles on the Blueridge Parway and roads off it. I feel like I'm getting better feedback from the front as some weight is shifted to the front. Overall, I'm happy with them, they may not be enough for someone who is taller or with longer arms. Suburban Machinery has asked for more pics so I'm not sure if they are going to try another revision, if so I'll update. Hopefully these pics will help, just imagine the stocks being 1.5" lower which puts them about the 1/4" higher than my new ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side_.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	25333   Click image for larger version

Name:	top_.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	25334   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs stock1_.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	25335   Click image for larger version

Name:	vs stock2_.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	25336   Click image for larger version

Name:	profile_.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	25337  

2004 FZ6
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:10 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I got an email from Suburban this morning stating that the FZ6 handle bars are ready for shipment. I went ahead an placed an order for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban
John,

FZ 6 handlebars are ready to ship today. Terry will add the ordering information to our website later today or you may call at 1-800-297-1341.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Sally
Suburban Machinery

FZ6 Mods:
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaesar
I got an email from Suburban this morning stating that the FZ6 handle bars are ready for shipment. I went ahead an placed an order for mine.
I'll be interested to see how you like them. I really like mine, no regrets.

2004 FZ6
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 06:42 PM

Thy called me today and said the ones I ordered are on ther way...they should be here in a few days. John, did you order the black or silver ones? They never asked me which color I wanted so I assumed they only came in one color.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:54 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilburner
Thy called me today and said the ones I ordered are on ther way...they should be here in a few days. John, did you order the black or silver ones? They never asked me which color I wanted so I assumed they only came in one color.

hmmm... I guess I forgot they came in two different colors. They said they will go out tomorrow, so I guess I will call them first thing in the morning, and ask what the shipped me.

FZ6 Mods:
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:59 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Maste, what grips did you end up putting on your handle bars?

FZ6 Mods:
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaesar
Maste, what grips did you end up putting on your handle bars?
They are http://spidergrips.com/id3.html

These are the third set of grips I've tried on the FZ6. They are slightly slimmer than the Pro grips, I like them but I don't think they live up to the manufacturer's claim of eliminating vibes better than other models.

2004 FZ6
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the lead on those bars Maste, I just got mine in yesterday from Suburban. They look great, I'm looking forward to getting those installed. Now I just need to take care of the forks and I'm good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in