FZ6/FZ6R Mods All exhaust, tire, etc modification discussion

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

FZ6 Headlight mod - must be done !

As the owners of the FZ6/2004 already knows, due to the new regulations only one of the headlights is on at the low beam.

Even it is a good one, it would have been better if both headlights was on.

Don't worry… It can be done with almost no cost and with 100% safety way !

I inform you that the FZ6 is already designed with both headlights on at the low beam and it is already equipment with the dual bulb (H4) at the left (as you siting on the bike) headlight and almost with all the wire needed !!!
Just is missing only about 70-80 cm of wire from the connector to the bulb.

There are 2 explanations for this. Either the same bike is sold to other countries outside EU with both headlights on, or either it was designed this way and when the new regulations came, it was easier and cheaper to just turn off the one headlight at low beam rather than redesign the whole system.

In any case it is very easy, cheap and safe to have both lights on at low beam.

The only thing you have to do is to wire the empty H4 bulb's connector to the connector in which wires from the headlight switch at the left handlebar ends.
You are looking for a GREEN wire ENDING at the connector.
This connector is located in the bike's frame just in front and below the battery.

This is all the difficulty involved as this connector is not in a accessible location and you have to remove fairing sides, tank, battery, air filter box etc… to gain access to it.

BUT it is very easy to just make a hole to the plastic that covers the wires coming from the switch, find and cut the GREEN wire and connect it to the headlight. This will take up to 3 minutes without remove one bolt !. The only problem going that way, is that you will be not sure if you have cut the correct wire until is done.

At my bike WAS the green wire, but there is no guarantee that all Fazers using the exact same colors…Do it at your own risk or measure with a multimeter before cut anything…

The whole mod needs only 1meter of wire and 1-2 connectors - total cost below 1 euro !

Whatever way you choose the results are great.

Both headlights are now on at the low beam, and the high beam works the same way as before the mod.
You will notice more light in front of the bike at night, but the most important is that you will be easily seen by car's drivers even at the brighter day, and this is called safety.

At the same time you can upgrade the bulbs using something like Osram Silverstar or Philps Vision-plus (you will need one H4 and one H7 unit) for astonishing results, as I did.
If you don't want to spend much money upgrading the bulbs, you can try and replace only the H4 unit. The H7 bulb that FZ6 have from factory it is a very good one and there is not much gain by changing it .

And a warning for them that will find that it's easyer to just fed the one headligt by giving power from the other
DON'T DO THIS
The low filament of the H4 bulb MUST be going off when you use the high beam. The only way to achieve this is to power the H4 bulb from the connector or from the green wire caming from the handlebar switch as described above.
If you power the headlight from the other, then at high beam you will have both filaments on at the left headlight and for sure this will causes problems of too much heat and not enough electric power...

Good luck …

Last edited by THANOS; 08-03-2004 at 12:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2004, 01:53 AM

There are a few threads about this, some even on first page...
Old 08-03-2004, 02:45 AM

isn't this just a copy of the instructions on the english board?
Did this straight away as soon as i received my fazer and it:
looks better
safer
eliminates all the annoying remarks that one beam is already busted...

Old 08-03-2004, 06:43 AM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

instead of consuming another 55 watts of the only 320 matts tot al power available for a second low beam, I would rather use that wattage for a heated vest and heated grips in the colder months of the year. The vest I have draws 35 watts. I am not surewhat the grips consume.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:18 AM

I consider the extra 55watts a safety improvement.
Cars notice you better when you have 2 headlights on.

Anyone know what the total power consumption is during normal driving?
Old 08-03-2004, 08:18 AM

After wiring up the other headlight, I've noticed that the high beam makes little difference. I personally feel that the dual headlights are perfect for both day and night riding and keeps me from flipping the high beam on and off.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Umbrella Girl

There actually IS a reason that they omitted the second headlight. I forget if its california specs (like the case of the cat) or advanced EU specs (like the emissions) that this one falls under, BUT...

...The back story behind this one is that it was designed with he single headlight look for safety reasons. Apparently, someone has done a little reasearch and found that in the case of T intections, Cars cannot readily distinguish between a motorcycle with two headlights on at a close range, or a car with two headlights at a distance. Cars keep pulling out in front of bikes, and the bikes are T-boning the vehicles through no fault of their own.

Personally, I prefer to wire up both headlights, and just poke holes in my exhaust to be obnoxiously loud for safety's sake, but no....this was no engineering flaw. Probably just an "easter egg" so to speak from the designers at yamaha to make modding the bike in and out of specs more easy.

And no, we dont have two on this side of the pond either.

[B][I]Car? ... What Car?![/I][/B]
Old 08-03-2004, 01:12 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proc

I consider avoiding hypothermia a safety issue as well.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennsport
I consider avoiding hypothermia a safety issue as well.
When there's a possibility of that, I'll just take the car
Old 08-03-2004, 01:20 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quote:

Based on my fuel injected BMW motorcycle which was a four cylinder 100o, it used about 120 watts for normal operation. I would assume a little less than that as the BMW had ABS brakes.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:39 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by THANOS
I inform you that the FZ6 is already designed with both headlights on at the low beam and it is already equipment with the dual bulb (H4) at the left (as you siting on the bike) headlight …
On our US Spec bikes, the dual filament H4 bulb is on the right. A dual filament bulb won't fit in the left, because the base for an H7 bulb is different than an HF, and the left housing on the US spec bike is made to fit the H7 bulb only. I modified the base of the H4 bulb to fit in the left headlight housing, therefore I have both high beams and low beams on both sides. Since the US Spec bike and Euro Spec bike are opposite, I guess we can order each other's headlight housing, that way we can have dual filament bulbs on each side without modifying the bulb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FZ6 Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:45 PM

I didn't examine it further but to me it looked like the H7 was on an H4-base adapter. So both housings are really H4. Maybe the housing is different in US model.
I guess I should test it, and take some pics too.

How did you wire the second high beam? Just took the power from the other one?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:14 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
I didn't examine it further but to me it looked like the H7 was on an H4-base adapter. So both housings are really H4. Maybe the housing is different in US model.
I guess I should test it, and take some pics too.

How did you wire the second high beam? Just took the power from the other one?
Yes, the H7 is on an H4 adapter where it plugs into the wiring harness, but how it fits into the socket of the head light housing is still different. It was a real beotch to get it to fit. I posted a picture in the old forum once before, where I had them side by side, sothat you can see the difference between the two. I'll see if I can dig it up again. Or you can just take your H4 bulb out and try putting it into your H7 headlight housing, and you will see what I mean.

FZ6 Mods:
Old 08-01-2005, 11:28 AM

loud pipes save what?

SOmeone on here thought.. quite wrongly that a car at an intersection several hundred feet in front of them could hear AND RECOGNIZE them to help avoid collision.
THis is a common misconception. Which is VERY easy to disprove. (not that it should have to be proven) Ever get suprised by a hog passin you on the highway? Nuff said. On top of your bike, its not loud... the cars you're worrying about are in front of you .. unless you're stopped (quiet).
The noise is comming out the back. AS WELL. With the windows rolled up in my truck, i cant even hear fireworks at a show a few hundred yards away.
So tell me i am going to hear your irritating, bad neighbor being, no noticeable performance gaining, ugly, ILLEGAL in ALL 50 states (i'm sure you found that written on your pipe when you took it off) PIPES.
Loud pipes just contribute to noise polution. They do not help drivers notice you. Its a fact. OK. the driver you just BLEW by on your noise maker noticed you.. but way after it was useful.. he's just pissed cause you woke him up from his commute nap.. and may now decide to get all road rage on your ass. I bet he wins.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:36 AM
WYPIWYG

Whoa...put that double-caff latte down and step away from the line of crack!! Where the hell did that come from about pipes? This thread is a year old AND it is about headlights!

Me thinks you posted in the wrong place!

[QUOTE=04Fizzer] This forum has always been a helpful bunch of smartasses. [/QUOTE]
[B]Gear:[/B]
Joe Rocket Atomic 2.0 Textile Jacket
HJC CL-15 Orbit Helmet

[B]Mods?:[/B]
Carbon Fiber Tank Pad
Bike Cover

[B]Wish List:[/B]
FE Kit
Seat Cowl
Lower Fairing
GPS Handlebar Mount

:cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in