User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

FZ6 Dual Headlight Mod Question

Ok- I finally got the parts from Radio Shack to do this. Going to go from the "green/orange-dot wire to the right bulb" flavor.

My question is this, do I have to leave the green/orange-dot wire connected as a completed circuit and splice in the new wire or can I just do a little snippy-snippy vasectomy action, cut the wire completely and run the new wire to the headlight?

Is there anything that green/orange-dot wire connects too on the other end?

In reading through all the other posts, no one has really addressed this.

-mr_skot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

I've been reading a little more and I've seen other posts say the wire doesn't lead to anywhere since it was meant to drive the right-side low beam of the bikes when they are sold in Europe.

Guess I can snip it, attach a new wire, and run the new lead to the right-side low beam.

I'll keep you posted.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 07:01 PM
Wildcat Fanatic

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's how I did mine. I just cut the green wire with the orange dot up by the handbars and connected it to the wire I ran over to the low beam on the right headlight. It works like a charm. One of these days, though, I'm going to get around to cleaning it up and running it down under the fairing.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Superbike Racer

I grabbed mine right where the harness from the bars goes into the frame. If you pull on it a little there is a taped off splice in the sleeve the wires run in. Just remove the tape and pull the sleeve back a little and you can get it right there without cutting that cover. The harness that runs to the headlights also comes out of the frame right next to it in the same hole. Making it easy to zip tie the new wire to that when running to the bulb. That way all your new wire is running inside the fairing. Good luck and enjoy not having to explain to people that you don't have a headlight out anymore.

When in doubt just take a nap its easier.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMaI View Post
Good luck and enjoy not having to explain to people that you don't have a headlight out anymore.
+1 there. I'm headed out to do it now.

Thanks for the replies.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

DONE!

Following DogMaI instructions above, I followed the bundle until just where it heads into the bike frame. I did see where a portion was taped off, I went a little lower and if you pull the cover back you can see all the wires.

I isolated the green with orange dots and took my soldering iron to it to expose the wires. A few seconds later, PRESTO! Right low beam working!

I did take some pics for those who might be curious and will get em posted, as I ran the wire along the front of the fairing from the right bulb to where the bundle comes down from the left handle. No need to remove the entire fairing, just a single piece on the left side that exposes the bundle. I know there have been photos before, but for someone who's read all the posts, I haven't seen any like the pics I took today. Might help some others wrap their heads around this MOD.

Next up, FE and Flexible LED turn signals on the backside.

Peace.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:47 PM
World Superbike Racer

I just installed an H4 in the left side and wired both. I did this by using a 2-way relay so that when low beam is on the relay lets the power from the low beam pass through and power both H4 low beams. Then I used a wire from the high beam to switch the relay shutting off the low beam when the high beam is on. Then I jumpered from the high beam on the right to the high on the left and the opposite for the low beam. The hardest part of the whole job was cutting down the H4 bulb so that it fit the left side. I would like to get a left headlight housing from Europe so that I don't need a modified bulb. I used a pair of Silverstar Ultras. I put about 700 miles on this setup this weekend and it is brighter then hell. All in all a very easy mod that took me about hour not including clean up and not having to deal with illegal aftermarket lighting kits and blinding on coming traffic.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
FZ6 Corner Carver

id be very interested in seeing detailed pics on your set up and what you did...^^^

Upgrades: frame-sliders, fend-elim, tcp seatcowl, pazzo levers, LED taillight w/int.turn signals, puig double bubble blue tint windscreen, K&N filter, Carbon Scorpion Exhaust, yamaha tankpad, flush turnsignals...
Drifting is a lifestyle, so live it sideways!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICER737
gotta 7 way party bong at the sheriff's dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_markII
When I treat the street as a racetrack I just pretend the cops are cornerworkers giving me the meatball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson
ok, here is what you do you ready for this ok lets get down to business you gotta get a bunch of stuff for this you go to the grocery store get a jar of pickles some mayonnaise cheeze wizz crackers some milk and a thing of ketchup you bring all of that to your friends girlfriends house then u bend her over and fuck her in the ass as hard and fast as you can.
DUDELEESTA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:55 AM
Involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_skot View Post
DONE!

I did take some pics for those who might be curious and will get em posted, as I ran the wire along the front of the fairing from the right bulb to where the bundle comes down from the left handle. No need to remove the entire fairing, just a single piece on the left side that exposes the bundle. I know there have been photos before, but for someone who's read all the posts, I haven't seen any like the pics I took today. Might help some others wrap their heads around this MOD.

Peace.
Pics would be nice....I was going to do the wire from the right light to the handle bar green/orange but I think I read this is better.
Not sure why....Im pretty f'ing confused after reading posts and watching youtube videos on this.

Is this the correct non-overloading way???
YouTube - 2005 Yamaha FZ6 Dual Headlight Mod

Last edited by Dubbington; 06-24-2008 at 12:57 AM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:49 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ6 Dude View Post
id be very interested in seeing detailed pics on your set up and what you did...^^^
If you are referring to my post I'll post pics as soon as I can. I threw it together before I took the trip this past weekend and want to rewire a couple of things and clean it up a bit. When I do that I'll take pics.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
I just installed an H4 in the left side and wired both. I did this by using a 2-way relay so that when low beam is on the relay lets the power from the low beam pass through and power both H4 low beams. Then I used a wire from the high beam to switch the relay shutting off the low beam when the high beam is on. Then I jumpered from the high beam on the right to the high on the left and the opposite for the low beam. The hardest part of the whole job was cutting down the H4 bulb so that it fit the left side. I would like to get a left headlight housing from Europe so that I don't need a modified bulb. I used a pair of Silverstar Ultras. I put about 700 miles on this setup this weekend and it is brighter then hell. All in all a very easy mod that took me about hour not including clean up and not having to deal with illegal aftermarket lighting kits and blinding on coming traffic.

Cool man... I was running through my head the other day how hard this might be to do.... can't wait to see the pics and a full write up

post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
FZ6 Corner Carver

+1^^^

Upgrades: frame-sliders, fend-elim, tcp seatcowl, pazzo levers, LED taillight w/int.turn signals, puig double bubble blue tint windscreen, K&N filter, Carbon Scorpion Exhaust, yamaha tankpad, flush turnsignals...
Drifting is a lifestyle, so live it sideways!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFICER737
gotta 7 way party bong at the sheriff's dept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_markII
When I treat the street as a racetrack I just pretend the cops are cornerworkers giving me the meatball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawson
ok, here is what you do you ready for this ok lets get down to business you gotta get a bunch of stuff for this you go to the grocery store get a jar of pickles some mayonnaise cheeze wizz crackers some milk and a thing of ketchup you bring all of that to your friends girlfriends house then u bend her over and fuck her in the ass as hard and fast as you can.
DUDELEESTA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBandit View Post
If you are referring to my post I'll post pics as soon as I can. I threw it together before I took the trip this past weekend and want to rewire a couple of things and clean it up a bit. When I do that I'll take pics.
I'm VERY interested in this too! Please provide a p/n for the relay and where you got it. Also interested in how you modified the bulb.

That is by far my biggest gripe on this bike. Night-time lighting sucks!!! My Katana was GREAT!!! Not to mention telling everybody "I DO NOT HAVE A LIGHT BURNED OUT"

Thanks!

SOLD - 07 FZ6,dual hdlt ,R6S fork,Ohlins,T-Rex Sldr,K&N,airbox,2 Bro
NOW - modded 06 FZ1

Last edited by rc5695; 06-25-2008 at 11:50 AM.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 PM
Involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMaI View Post
I grabbed mine right where the harness from the bars goes into the frame. If you pull on it a little there is a taped off splice in the sleeve the wires run in. Just remove the tape and pull the sleeve back a little and you can get it right there without cutting that cover.

Here are some pics....I cant pull anymore wires out and dont think I have found the SPLICE you were talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0168.JPG
Views:	1076
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	164733  
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 04:50 PM
Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbington View Post
Here are some pics....I cant pull anymore wires out and dont think I have found the SPLICE you were talking about.
I was talking about the splice in the cover you already found ... Not in the wire itself. The geen with orange stripe wire in the middle of the picture is the one you splice into. I chose to strip about a quarter inch of insulation and T into it there. You don't have to though the wire dead ends in the harness ahead. You can merely cut it in two and add your extra wire to the end running from the handlebar if you want. I figured this way if I want to go back to stock I just cut the wire off tape the splice and retape the factory harness covering and it looks 100% like it did when it left the factory.

I merely chose this location as it didn't require me to cut the harness covering like you do if you go closer to the switch and it allowed me to run all my new wire inside the fairing.

Sorry for any confusion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in