User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
stayin' sucka free

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The Smarter, Better Brake Light Modulator

Iíve been looking for a brake light modulator for my bike, but really wanted something that was a little more intelligent than the ones commonly available. My search brought me to the Vizi-Tec website. The product was exactly what I was looking forÖ

It was smarter: It didnít just continuously blink the same annoying pattern indefinitely as long as the brake was activeÖ which can become annoying quickly to whomever is behind you, and in some cases create target fixation. Some modulators have a blink pattern that only repeats a certain number of times , and then stopsÖ which is better, but if youíre in stop and go traffic, every time you release the brake the modulator resets and repeats the pattern all over again when the brake is activated againÖ again leading back to the annoyance factor. Not only that, but I felt that patterns that repeat continuously donít tell the driver if your suddenly slowing, or at a complete stop, if itís just constantly flashing. Anyway, the Vizi-Tec modulator addressed all these concerns (you can read more about the modulators logistics here).

It was better: Mainly because itís sooooo freaking easy to install. No wiring, no fuss - no muss. It snaps right in to the brake light connection of your bikeís wiring harnessÖ no electrical know-how necessary (it was as if they designed it with me in mind!).

I was sold!Ö there was only one problem: they didnít make one for the FZ-6. I emailed the company inquiring if they had any plans to make one for the FZ and after a few emails and pictures of my bikes brake light connection, they had one made! They even gave it to me for free for my trouble!!! SWEET!

Iím really happy with it, and it works like a charmÖ I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to add the safety of a brake light modulator without having to mess with the wiring of your bike.

Here are the installation instructions (just to illustrate how stupidly easy it is):

Step1: Remove side cover

Step2: Locate brake light connection

Step3: Disconnect brake light connector

Step4: Snap Vizi-Tec brake light modulator into existing connectors

Step5: Bundle it all back up and replace side cover

Step6: Kick back and enjoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Yea, though I ride through the valley of the shadow of the Harley, I will fear no R.U.B.: For my FZ6 art with me; thy power, thy speed and thy handling they comfort me." -- Metrics 23:4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:36 PM
500 G.P. Champion

post up a vid of how it works... i'm not following their description... actually i just like more pics and vids in threads

- 2006 Blue FZ6 -
crashed 08.04.08

+$1
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
stayin' sucka free

Sorry, I don't have a video camera

"Yea, though I ride through the valley of the shadow of the Harley, I will fear no R.U.B.: For my FZ6 art with me; thy power, thy speed and thy handling they comfort me." -- Metrics 23:4

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:49 PM
R6S Crash Cushion

Your digital camera doesn't do video?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
stayin' sucka free

Yes, but it's craptastic...

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 05:56 PM
500 G.P. Champion

it should work i guess it's not like we need detail.. just wanna see the pulse pattern... sounds really good. i wonder if this'll work inline with my led tail

- 2006 Blue FZ6 -
crashed 08.04.08

+$1
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:06 PM
R6S Crash Cushion

I concur...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 PM
World Superbike Racer

Hey Lucky_Devil, did you see that now they DO offer this modulator under the Yamaha section, and that they've used your images on their "how to" installation PDF? Pretty cool!

I am DEFINITELY ordering one of these RIGHT NOW! Good show man and tell your peeps over there that they've sold at least one due to your post on SBN!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
stayin' sucka free

Well if you guys wanna come over and film my tail light you're more than welcome

Seriously though, my camera wont stand up on it's own and has to be held, so it would be a two person activity to film it in action. Next time I have a friend over, I'll politely ask them to be my tripod and hold my camera while I trigger my brake light. That ought to garner some "are you serious?" looks...

I emailed the guy and asked if he had any video, and if not, suggested he add a clip to his website. We'll see what he says....

Last edited by Lucky_Devil; 11-27-2007 at 06:48 PM.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Supersport Racer

Looks like they will be selling the FZ6 modulator for ~$72.

This modulator combined with a bright LED taillight...SWEET!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:37 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Thanks for the nice write up Lucky_Devil. First I am going to move it to the FZ6 Mods sub-forum, and then I am going to add it to the sticky'd "FZ6 Aftermarket Mods" Thread.

FZ6 Mods:
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
stayin' sucka free

I got an email back... and their website already has a video demonstration located at: vizi-tec.com: Summary Enjoy

I guess I should have looked at their website first...

D'OH!

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Superbike Champion

Bloody hell, even I could install this! Brilliant, just brilliant.
Group buy?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
stayin' sucka free

If there's enough interest in a group buy, I would be more than happy to contact them to try and and get something worked out.

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I feel that none of those brake light modulators address a critical problem: engine braking. Engine braking on motorcycle is so effective that I found myself rarely use brake when I'm approaching a stop light/sign. However the other side of my brain is constantly yelling "apply some brake" to warn the car behind me. The solution is to integrate an accelerometer within the brake modulator. This way anytime you slow down, the brake light flashes. It will be even better if the flashing frequency changes according to how hard you are decelerating. Lots of patents come up if you search accelerometer and brake light, but I can not find any product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in