User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Pod LEDs + stock signals and no relay?

Okay. I did a few searches and read all of the posts, but I can't seem to find the information that I was looking for.

I seem to recall somebody finding a way to run LED pod lights in conjunction with stock turn signals, without using relays, in order to have the LED pod lights work as both running lights and turn signals.

I have the R1 pod light sockets (5PW-84312-00-00) and amber 194 LED "bulbs". If I can't get the pods to work as both running lights and turn signals, then I'll make them just running lights (blue and black wires).

The only way I could possibly see it working, is to use the blue and brown wires on the left side and the blue and dark green wires on the right side.

Anyone do the mod this way?

Here are the threads that I looked at already:
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=300871
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=294588
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11146
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=266976
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=302210
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=290581

=============
JimE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:27 AM
500 GP Racer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This what your looking for ??

Not sure but is this what your looking for ?? I did it last year when I did my R6 headlight retro fit at the same time.
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/...d.php?t=300898

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
|R6 Fork MOD|R6 Calipers |LSL Sliders
|05 Black Rims|Scorpion CF Exhaust|Corbin Seat|TankSlapper
|Yamaha Lower Cowl |Clears all around W/Intergrated LED Tail Light| TCP Seat Cowl|Puig DS Screen|Painted Hugger/Front Fairing/Side Cowl/Fender|Garmin E-Trex GPS|Galfer Custom SS Lines|
|05-R6 Projector Headlight retro-fit
|Moto-Tote to get it around
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Yup, that's what I was looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTVa
Not sure but is this what your looking for ?? I did it last year when I did my R6 headlight retro fit at the same time.
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/...d.php?t=300898
Yup, that appears to be the thread that I was looking for (or at least one of them).

It seems that I will be able to hook up each LED pod light to the running light wire and the turn signal wire and they will work as a running light, but blink alternately with the turn signals. That's what I'm after.

Of course, knowing my luck, I'll do the mod and it won't work for me, and then I'll have to take the fairing off of the bike again, to change the wiring....

=============
JimE

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 02:01 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I posted a wiring diagram for an alternate blink. Let me search, BRB.

[edit] Right, so I couldn't find my own post from year 2004. Apparently the archives had been trashed, and only 500 of my posts are retained in the data base. LOL.

Anyway, all you have to do is connect one of the pod LED leads to the + line of the running light and connect the other pod line to the + line of the turn signal. All connections are done at the faring, before the stock indicator harness.

If you have a polarized LED and it doesn't light up, just reverse the connection of the led lines.

Last edited by segue00; 06-13-2006 at 02:50 PM.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 05:57 PM
World Superbike Champion

Just do what segue00 said. It worked like a champ for me.

2004 Faster Blue FZ6 | FAZR6 FE | LSL Sliders | Dual Headlight Mod | Givi Maxia E52 Topcase | Corbin Seat | Hi-Beam Switched Garage Opener | Priority Plus Rear Turn Signals | Kisan Headlight Modulator | Euro Blue Pod Lights | Stebel 139db Air Horn | Autocom Pro-7 Audio Mixer | Cortech Super-Mini Magnetic Tankbag | ContiRoadAttack Tires | Puig Blue Windscreen | Silverstar Bulbs | SW-MOTECH Barbacks | Hepco Becker Lowered Passenger Pegs | ThrottleMeister |

Farkles: | Xact Visor Sirius Radio | Garmin eTrex Vista C GPS | BEL RX65 Radar Detector | Audiovox GMRS500SLK Transceiver | SanDisk Sansa e130 MP3 Player | Samsung i500 Palmphone |

Gear:| Nolan N102 Helmet | JR Reactor Jacket | JR Alter Ego Pants | JR Replacement CE Armor | Diadora Hurricane Boots | JR Phoenix 2 Gloves |
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

Light Mods Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Karam
Just do what segue00 said. It worked like a champ for me.

I spliced in last night and soldered everything up. It wasn't too tough to make the holes in the pods for the sockets. I used my dremel with a cutting attachment and just slowly went around removed plastic. The R1 sockets are nice in how the fit in tightly.

Since I don't have a battery in my bike yet and the fairing is still off, I have no idea if it will work, but it should.... (My LEDs are non-polarized so I don't see a problem.)

Here's what the back of my fairing looks like (you can also see my headlight mod wire which I have terminating to a bullet connector by the factory harness):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light_mods.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	86612   Click image for larger version

Name:	light_mods_with_legend.gif
Views:	3368
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	86613  

=============
JimE

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

It works!

I put the bike back together last night and the pod LEDs work.

Yea!

I was thinking that the LED pod lights would be brighter than they are. I'll have to check the voltage on the bulb base to see if they way they are wired is causing them to have less voltage than if they were setup as standard running lights. It is neat how they alternately flash with the signals. That's cool looking.

=============
JimE

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 08:36 PM
SBN Rookie

I found a really great remote controlled multi-color (7) led underglow kit and I thought I would pass it on.

http://www.ledunderbody.com/
Look for the $80 motorcycle kit. Also the system will take up to 4 additional tubes, it comes with 4. Real neat and the best price I have found, period. Comes with a 4 button rf keychain remote to change colors, modes, speed, etc. I installed using zipties (careful to steer clear of ehausts, moving parts, etc). It has 7 colors.

I will post some pics as soon as i get some.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 09:05 PM
ZRO BLNG

www.customled.com makes a flasher relay and also makes the Magick Blinkers that will turn your signals into runnning lights too.

2008 Suzuki DRZ400SM
SUMO Nation President.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-22-2006, 12:36 PM
World Superbike Champion

You guys are G..dam geniuses !...I'm a sledgehammer type and I am awestruck by the expertise and sharing on this site.....keep up the good work I'll try to follow but I am afraid I will be a long way behind.....
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 11:48 PM
SBN Rookie

leds installed

installed a 194-6 led bulb. My visibility has increades 10-fold at night. During the day they are even pretty bright

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:21 AM
Keep It Kosher

Wow, way to wake a thread from the dead! This thing is almost 2 years old!

Either way, it looks great and is an awesome mod to do for very little money. You obviously didn't do amber LEDs, why not do red to match the bike!? I'm either going to do amber or blue (my bike is blue though). Did you do an HID conversion on one headlight or did you just put a different bulb in your right headlight? The color isn't the same between them.

Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. Gear up.
2006 Blue Yamaha FZ6

Chocolate lovers make better lovers.
Mods: R6 Projector Headlight Retrofit, dual 4300k HID Conversion XenonDepot, 2 Bros Exhaust, FAZR6 FE, Uncaged Frame Sliders
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
500 G.P. Champion

I have a couple of those threads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsw81 View Post
Wow, way to wake a thread from the dead! This thing is almost 2 years old!
I'm proud to have a couple of those ancient, keep reviving threads on here.

I really like this mod on my FZ6. The one thing that I noticed is that the amber 194 LEDs that I installed appear to be quite directional. There are really bright from a certain angle on the front, but nowhere near as bright/visible from other angles.

=============
JimE

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Club Racer

Did you remove the stock signals? I really don't like the look of em. I know they function well as far as being seen by others, but they're so damn ugly. If a person did do that, it seems to me like the wiring would be relativly easy. Just a quick plug and play type switch a roo.

"And remember, Rubber side down!" - Based on experience, the best advice ever.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Keep It Kosher

Many people have changed the stock signals to an LED system while also installing these pod-lights. The only problem is that LED's provide less electrical resistance than standard bulbs, causing them to flash faster. Some like this and leave it alone, others have installed a resistor to balance it out.

LEDs are naturally directive, unlike a standard halogen light bulb which projects light everywhere. Anyone who has done the Clear Alternatives brake light can attest to this. Anyone directly behind them can see it light up just fine, but no one in the next lane will see it.

Sweat wipes off, road rash doesn't. Gear up.
2006 Blue Yamaha FZ6

Chocolate lovers make better lovers.
Mods: R6 Projector Headlight Retrofit, dual 4300k HID Conversion XenonDepot, 2 Bros Exhaust, FAZR6 FE, Uncaged Frame Sliders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in