LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Surly Canuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enygma
If you keep the back stock lights on, do you still need a new flasher unit??
No. This is the exact setup I have and everything works just fine and does not require any new flasher unit.

Canada is like your attic - you forget about it, but once you're there, you're like "hey, there's some really cool stuff up here!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Sigh.......

Quote:
If you keep the back stock lights on, do you still need a new flasher unit??

Sharkbait: Which colour did you go with, and do you have a picture showing it without the light on, so I could see how the colour looks on the blue.
The Blue..... The blue is a very close match but not on the money. I think it is the R1 blue AKA yamaha blue and our FZ6s are some odd darker blue. Again the colour is very close and realy isnt noticeable.
Here are some pics i just took for you to see. I just got finished replacing the stearing bearings and havent had time to put the farring back on yet, so there are some good pics of the inside mounting setup
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006 (Small).JPG
Views:	251
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	74374   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003 (Small).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	74375   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003_2 (Small).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	74376   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_2 (Small).JPG
Views:	187
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	74377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009 (Small).JPG
Views:	164
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	74378  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Jay
Using my new stealthy capabilities provided by my recent TPS update, I slowly sneaked up behind an old lady in a parking lot this morning.

I turned on the high beams, engaged the hazards, held down the horn, revved her up to the rev limiter and kicked the old bag over and rode off with her walker cackling madly.

I threw the walker at the nearest disabled child while doing a wheelie and gave the hot mother a wink. I think she was turned on.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 10:03 PM
2 As 1

That looks good, thanks sharkbait

Do you have LED's all around?? I noticed what looks like to be a resistor in there. (I know those things can get pretty hot.) I am only doing the fronts LED, I am keeping the rears the stock bulb, with Clear Alternatives clear lens on them, and a chromed bulb. Might dremel them down even a touch to snick them in a lil closer. So I don't think I will need any resistor. (I hope)

I Never Use Signatures.

Last edited by Aenygma; 02-28-2006 at 10:06 PM.

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 04:40 AM
Sigh.......

you will need the resistors for the front Watsens on both sides to make them blink at the right rate. As for the rear, I kept my rear signals stock with FazR6 FE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Jay
Using my new stealthy capabilities provided by my recent TPS update, I slowly sneaked up behind an old lady in a parking lot this morning.

I turned on the high beams, engaged the hazards, held down the horn, revved her up to the rev limiter and kicked the old bag over and rode off with her walker cackling madly.

I threw the walker at the nearest disabled child while doing a wheelie and gave the hot mother a wink. I think she was turned on.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Surly Canuck

I took a few minutes and re-drew and simplified the wiring diagram as much as possible. I also included several other wiring options, depending if you have POD Lights and want/not want them wired in as additional turn signals. Thanks again to all who have contributed wiring diagrams in the past! These would not have been possible without the previous diagrams!

PDF:http://members.shaw.ca/fazed/pdfs/LE...l%20Wiring.pdf

I will also be adding these diagrams to my FZ6 web site.

JPG:

Canada is like your attic - you forget about it, but once you're there, you're like "hey, there's some really cool stuff up here!"

Last edited by Boneman131; 03-01-2006 at 11:21 AM.
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 11:10 AM
SBN Rookie

What do the pods attach to on the fairing?
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 06:55 PM
Surly Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsmyers
What do the pods attach to on the fairing?
Not sure if your asking about the actual "Pod Lights" or the "Watsen LED signals" so I will answer for both.

POD lights (little lights added above each head light) - They don't really "attach" to anything. The Yamaha sockets you use are rubber sockets and they simply preasure fit into the holes you drill into the pod light area. You just push them into the hole; no mechanical fastening needed.

Watsen LED signal lights - They simply use a large washer and a nut (included) and the light unit 'clamps' onto the inside of the faring. A perfect and very secure fit.

Last edited by Boneman131; 03-04-2006 at 06:57 PM.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2006, 05:00 PM
SBN Rookie

Sorry about not being specific about the lights, I was asking about the signals. Thanks for the response!
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 07:57 PM
2 As 1

Help

I am in the process of hooking them up right now... On your diagram though... I see a "relay connector" I did not have that, and did not even know what one was. (Well, ok I did figure duh it plugs into a relay)

Anyway, I went back to the store where I bought the relays, and nope,,, no connectors. So, I am on hold till tomorrow, when I will go down to an elec store and buy a set (Which I was told at the other store to do)

Next question: How have you people mounted the relay, and do all relays make so much clicking noise, or do they make quieter ones?

Also trying to avoid using the resistors if possible... Can't I just put in a New flasher unit to get around that, and they will flash slower. I did hook them up in a temp fashion, with no resistors right now, and they really don't flash too fast. The blinker light on the dash blinks super fast, but the ones on the bike I would say blink perhaps just twice as fast. Not that noticable. Maybe it would even catch someones eye more.

Confused, but continuing.

I Never Use Signatures.

Last edited by Aenygma; 03-17-2006 at 10:05 PM.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 PM
FZ6 Racer

Quote:
I am in the process of hooking them up right now... Can't I just put in a New flasher unit to get around that, and they will flash slower. I did hook them up in a temp fashion, with no resistors right now, and they really don't flash too fast. The blinker light on the dash blinks super fast, but the ones on the bike I would say blink perhaps just twice as fast. Not that noticable. Maybe it would even catch someones eye more.

Confused, but continuing.
You might want to avoid getting rid of the resistors. The lights may not seem all that fast to you, but to some cager, it may seem like a steady light and they won't pay attention to it at all. Try to imagine being 50 ft away from it while it's traveling at 60mph. What would it look like then??
Just my .02
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 12:39 AM
2 As 1

Well, while it wasn't at speed, and of course she was not 50' away. I called my wife out to look at them, and did not mention the flash rate.
I said how does it look?
She said it looks great.

Ok, then I asked what do you think of the flash rate of the blinkers?
She said they look fine... Kept looking... hmm, what am I supposed to see she said?

I said they are flashing faster.
Then she said, oh yes they are... but not much.

I also had a friend look at them who did not think they were too fast.

Now having typed all that, I am still at working with the idea of putting in a new flasher unit that does not have malfunction detection. In addition, BinaryJay sent me an idea from Watsen as another way to get around the resistors.

I think the resistors are a bad idea from a couple of angles. So I shall keep plugging away.

Still need those other 2 questions answered though.

I Never Use Signatures.
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Surly Canuck

PM'd you

post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-18-2006, 06:20 PM
2 As 1

Thanks for the PM Boneman...

I have to say though, no one has any relay connector. I went to 2 different Radio Shacks, 2 different Auto Zones, O'Reilly Parts, My local dealership, and Altex Electronics. Sheesh.

So I will just go with shrink wrapping the relay once I am done to help seal it from the elements.

I also just for fun picked up a relay from a different company to see if it might be a lil quieter.

Still probably going to give the new flasher idea a try as well, to see if I can avoid using the resistors, or perhaps the idea BinaryJay sent me from Watsen Design.

- Eddie

I Never Use Signatures.
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-19-2006, 04:00 PM
2 As 1

Well, I ended up ordering the Magic Blinker waterproof relay with conditioner. It should arrive on Wed.

I feel it will be a neater and better connection going this route.

I Never Use Signatures.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Surly Canuck

F*ck the Po-Po!

Ok, this whole "ticket for having 'blue' lights" thing really has me trying to think outside the box and how to beat the system. Instead of making me want to adhear to the law, it only made me want to circumvent it even more....the exact opposite effect of what they are trying to do.

Anyways, I have just added a very nice and very hidden switch to turn the pod lights on and off. I was thinking of where would be a good place to "hide" a switch, yet still have realtivly quick access to it. Here is the solution...sometimes I even amaze myself.....(insert drum roll here)

I purchased a small on/off switch and deceided to mount it into the top of the left inner faring, so it will be UNDER the rubber boot of the left mirror!!! This way I can easily activate and 'feel' it's position, but no one can see it!!!

Switch and switch hole location - dremmel'd it out.

Mounting the switch here is also benifical for several other reasons:

1- If you bugger up the dremeling out the switch hole, it will be coverd up with the rubber mirror boot.
2- No one but you knows it is there.
3- If you deceide to remove the switch down the raod (selling bike), no one will see any holes in the faring.

Switch mounted into faring

Running switch control wires through the tube frame behind instrament panel - I think Enygma was asking how to nicley run wires from one side to the other...well this piece of perfectly placed tubular frame makes a wonderful wire conduit!!

I still have to do a few finishing touches and also re-instal my stock signals for the police ordered inspection. This is the beauty of wiring everything up with quick disconnects!! I just pop on some connectors to my stock lights, pop em back on, have my inspection, and pop em back off. Sorry, I don't care if the Watsen LED Signals are not DOT approved, they are going back on. They funny thing was my dealer (also the ones doing the inspection) noticed them...not the cop. My dealer has been great and instead of charging me, told me to put the stock signals back on, then bring it back for them to do the inspection...instead of failing it and charging me. They all think having to go through all this for having blue led pod lights is ridiculous too and have been very helpful!

Last edited by Boneman131; 03-21-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in