User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thumbs up 05 R6 projector retro-fit into FZ6 started

Well since its to cold to really ride much I decided to get some parts together to start the 05 R6 projector light retro-fit project into our FZ6's. I thought it would be more plug and play at first but its is a bit of work involved not as simple as plug and play but do able. I got a R6 headlight from Ebay and a backup FZ6 headlight from one of our member here and have begun the project and so far its going well so figured I post up some pics and let you all see how its going, I still have some brackets to fab and painting and then re-wiring of the unit to prep for install onto the bike and then it will be ready to go. I also considered doing some angel eyes in the unit but decided it is just to tight inside the FZ6 headlight unit once you get the projectors in there.
Still waiting on a few adapter to show up that I ordered so it will be a little longer till I am done but I have gotten a few request for progress on this project so I figured I post up with pics.

Pics of the R6 headlight unit pulled apart to get projectors out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 001 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2603
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	68576   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 009 (Medium).jpg
Views:	845
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	68577   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 012 (Medium).jpg
Views:	983
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	68578   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 016 (Medium).jpg
Views:	4206
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	68579   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 020 (Medium).jpg
Views:	4121
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	68580  

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FAZR6 FE Kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|Dual Light MOD
|R6 Fork MOD|R6 Calipers |LSL Sliders
|05 Black Rims|Scorpion CF Exhaust|Corbin Seat|TankSlapper
|Yamaha Lower Cowl |Clears all around W/Intergrated LED Tail Light| TCP Seat Cowl|Puig DS Screen|Painted Hugger/Front Fairing/Side Cowl/Fender|Garmin E-Trex GPS|Galfer Custom SS Lines|
|05-R6 Projector Headlight retro-fit
|Moto-Tote to get it around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Post More pics

Pics of the FZ6 unit apart and test fitting of projectors with brackets made from cardboard templates:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 066 (Medium).jpg
Views:	518
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	68581   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 071 (Medium).jpg
Views:	570
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	68582   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 082 (Medium).jpg
Views:	471
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	68583   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 091 (Medium).jpg
Views:	588
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	68584   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 094 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2367
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	68585  

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
|Yamaha Lower Cowl |Clears all around W/Intergrated LED Tail Light| TCP Seat Cowl|Puig DS Screen|Painted Hugger/Front Fairing/Side Cowl/Fender|Garmin E-Trex GPS|Galfer Custom SS Lines|
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Supersport Racer

Great Pics WTVa!! Keep 'em coming.....please!

Are those brackets going to be available to the general public?

If You Admire Power.....Try Reading the New Testament!!!

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilburner
Great Pics WTVa!! Keep 'em coming.....please!

Are those brackets going to be available to the general public?
Currently hand making them and I found doing just one side that I have to fine tweak it with the grinder here and there but I am trimming the cardboard templates to match the best I can, so guess it would aid in making another set once I am done.
Also not sure how much of a market there will be for them if someone were to mass produce them or something. I have more pics up as soon as I get further along maybe as soon as I get it all wired up, I will be able to get some pics of the pre-testing of the lights before fitting the unit onto the bike.

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD

Last edited by WTVa; 01-03-2006 at 08:48 PM.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Supersport Racer

hehe, this looks familiar.....

Honestly on mass producing the brackets i would shy away. Everything is such a tight fit people may question the quality of the design. The design can't be improved any becasue it is just a tight fit, pure and simple (unless someone can design something better).

I would just worry about custumer satisfaction too much.....but on the other hand the brackets do work fine after everything is in...not a whole lot of play for adjustability, but other than that fine.

if you have any questions let me know! in watchin the thread just in case
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Supersport Racer

oh and remember to shave the projector as ilistrated in step 6 of the how to. It does give you more room, otherwise you will never get the beam to project anywhere close to straight

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=297991
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

More update...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissajew86
oh and remember to shave the projector as ilistrated in step 6 of the how to. It does give you more room, otherwise you will never get the beam to project anywhere close to straight

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=297991
Yeah I have only shaved one side (top side) and its working well, I also did not have to replace the adjusting screws, so have been able to retain the stock ones since I made the brackets with more bend to them to allow it to be lowered onto the stock screws and this will also allow for greater adjustment with stock aiming screw in the back of the headlight unit. I am also putting in LED side markers/blinkers (have not decided which way I want to go yet) and also will be doing another small mod to the R6 headlights to allow for the inside 2 lights to be used and day time lights (low beams) and the outside to to be used at high beams. So far testing looks good and I am finishing the second set of brackets and painting this afternoon. should be able to maybe get some more testing done with the lights on in the next few days. I was hoping to make this as much plug and play for the people out there that may want to do it with out alot of modding but I didn't like the standard R6 left low beam and right high beam look but if that doesn't bother you this could be doable mod for some out there. Heck guess I could go into business doing this mod for people out there that don't want to do it themselves as long as they supply the headlight and parts needed

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Post Okay another update.....

Okay had more time today to mess with this and the brackets are dried from painting last night so I went and installed brackets onto the projectors and fitted them into the FZ headlight unit and also went ahead and resealed the lense cover back onto the fronts, also did some temporary wiring to take pictures of the process, I have to say takes alot longer to stop all the time to take pictures wonder if anyone even cares to see them, I am sure there are a few interested cause I know how we all like pictures here. I will still need to do some wiring once I get a connector or 2 in the mail. Hopefully by the weekend so maybe It will all be installed back on the bike this weekend or next week some time. I also decided not to run all 4 lights on when high beams are running due to extra juice needed, So I will probably wire it to cut off inner 2 when high beams come on.

Pics are as follows: installed projector with brackets into unit, Lense covers re-sealed and installed, Rear view, Low beam (2 inner projectors) and High beam (2 outer projectors).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 108 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1488
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	68914   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 117 (Medium).jpg
Views:	533
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	68915   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 121 (Medium).jpg
Views:	552
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	68916   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 129 (Medium).jpg
Views:	446
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	68917   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 125 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1255
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	68918  

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Post One more PIC

One last pic with unit under stock setup so you can get a idea of what its going to look like some what.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod (Medium).jpg
Views:	565
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	68919  

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 06:27 PM
Supersport Racer

have you checked to make sure the cut off is level? I was thinking today and i remembered that was why i had to cut off the other part of the bracket that you didnt cut off.
post #11 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissajew86
have you checked to make sure the cut off is level? I was thinking today and i remembered that was why i had to cut off the other part of the bracket that you didnt cut off.
Well I haven't gotten it back on the bike but from what I can tell on the wall when burn testing them on the table its off a little but you can hardly notice it since I have 2 beams of light one with the cut off in it which is the left one and one with out on the right it fills in the cut of point real well. We will have to wait and see if I get anyone flashing there lights at me but I usually am not a night rider much unless I am caught out after dark.
At one point I almost considered removing the cut off but figured less not try and blind everyone in front of me but it would most definitely mad for a longer brighter light throw if I did.
Oh the other bracket (you cut off) on mine still has plenty of room before hitting the housing and I still have plenty of room to adjust the projectors up,down, in or out still.

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #12 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quick weekend update...

Well had some time today and my connectors came in yesterday so completed wiring it all up and tested it again so now its ready to get put onto the bike. Here a few pics of the connectors and completed wiring for those that are interested. Also got the pod lights LED installed and wired too so they will work as both a running light and turn signal now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 137 (Medium).jpg
Views:	505
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	69196   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 141 (Medium).jpg
Views:	585
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	69197  

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #13 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:35 PM
Sidehacker Extraordinaire

Awesome. I do lots of night riding, this sort of thing is of great interest to me. Did you happen to get any before pics of the stock FZ6 lights in the dark?
post #14 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcoma
Awesome. I do lots of night riding, this sort of thing is of great interest to me. Did you happen to get any before pics of the stock FZ6 lights in the dark?
Well I have yet to install these setup yet and the bike still together in the garage I will try to get some shots of the stock headlight and after I put this assembly onto the bike. Guess if your not to concerned with cut off you could cut the cut offs out of the projectors of the low beam side (left) and it should throw your lighting much further down the road, since you said you do a lot of night driving which I don't, I did it cause I just think they look so much better and should give a little more light output. I still may switch out the H7 bulbs used for the high beams to some newer Silverstars since there more white and brighter that average halogen bulbs.

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #15 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 06:04 PM
500 GP Racer

Good job there! Definately something I would have followed in your steps if I had not converted. Wonder if I could cram all that stuff behind the naked light...*hahahahaha

keep up the good work!

2004 Yamaha FZ6; converted to FZ6-Naked
Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul

| Arrow Exhaust, with Cat Elim | Dyno'd PCIII | R6 Forks, professionally tuned | R1 Front Brakes | Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines | Braking Wave Rotors | HH Galfer Pads | FS6 Frame Sliders | Dunlop D208's | Scorpio Alarm | Clear Lens LED Tail Light | Clear Lens Turn Signals | Homemade CF FE | Plate mount mini LED rear turn sigs | Custom Frame Paint | Custom Carbon Engine Guards | Synthetic Fluids | is there anything else i can do??...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in