User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

how to: convert to R6 projectors

ok this is my first time for writing a how to so be patent with me and post anything i need to clarify

this is a how to to mount the r6 projector headlights in a fz6.

Step 1: obtain a r6 projector setup. I found mine on ebay for $25. link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
you will not require the external housing for the project since it is a diffrent shape anyways....

Step 2: once you obtain the headlight go to home depo. you will need the following supplies:
#1 you will need longer bolts than the ones holding the projector together. I used a nut to adjust the length, since there are various mounting depths requires. i will show pictures in another step. if you want to go through the trouble you can experament and find the exact lenght, however i did not. i bought 6 #8x3/4, 32 pitch machine bolts and 6 #8 32 pitch nuts.
#2 3/4"X1/8" steel bar, mine came in 48" lenghts
#3 black spray paint, i used high temp engine paint since the hedlight does get warm....flat black so it wont reflect....
#4 threadlocker

step 3: now you should have all the supplies, when you are ready go ahread and remove the headlight assy, follow the manual on how to do this, remove the headlights from the assy, you should have something simmalar to this
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...chmentid=64254

step 4: warm your oven to 350 degrees then TURN IT OFF. place the headlight on a cool metal pan so it does not contact the oven, place in the oven for 10 min, remove and pry the lens off, the glue should be soft enough that it comes right off once you lift the tabs that hold it together. i used 3 screwdrivers to do this with. I took a while and had to put it back in to do the 2nd side. it should now look like this
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...chmentid=64255

step 5: there are 3 bolts holding the reflective unit in there. 2 10 mm and 1 8 mm with philips head in the middle. unscew them until the reflective unit is loose. you should be able to remove the reflective unit, which will look like this
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...chmentid=64256

step 6: you will need to use an angle grinder to cut off the tabs on the projector assy. test fit the projectos in the enclosure, as you can see where i have drawen red lines it is hitting the headlight housing. remove the plastic mounting swuares and start chopping, as close as you can get without actually disturbing the projector. do this to both units
https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/sho...5&postcount=17

Step 7 : you will need to create 2 brackets per side out of the steel bar. i have drawen the general shape of the brackets i created on the housing. you will need to use all 6 plastic squares as shown in the drawing. the lower bracket you will have to bend upwards since there is such a height diffrence from themounting screw to the mounting point on the projector assy

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...chmentid=64437

step 8: Test fit the brackets together and check for levelness. the projector has a sharp cutoff and must be mounted leval in order to work correctly. use the 2 screws in the back of the projector (the ones that hold the bulb in) and make sure they line straight up. also makesure the headlights look likethey are pointing straight, you will have some adjustment but not a lot. mark where your mounting holes in the brackets are and drill it out.

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...chmentid=64259

step 9: test mount the headlights with the new longer scews. mount the bolts on the screws and spin them all the way to the bolt head. then bolt the bracket to the projector and back the nut back so it pintches the bar to the projector. mount the projector in the housing and check for straighness. I even went as far as to mount everything back to gether and light it back up and check how everything was pointing. if something is off adjust your mounting holes accordingly.

step 10: once you are satisfied with your aiming, take the brackets off and paint the brackets black.

step 11. After the paint is dried mount everything back together, this time putting threadlocker on the nut so it wont come loose.

step 12. Place the front lens back on the housing assy, and reheat the housing assy in the oven to reset the glue.

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...chmentid=64260

step 13: put it all back together and your done!

https://www.sportbikes.net/forums/att...chmentid=64374

Last edited by kissajew86; 11-26-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM
Livin' on the Edge!

Very nicely done! Thought about making up some of the brackets and selling a kit for doing this mod? You could include the right size bolts, the brackets and instructions with some pics. Fabricating parts is the road block to a lot of peoples modding abilities and you could possibly make some money from it to buy other cool stuff with.

Anyway, thanks.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 04:58 PM
World 500 GP Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I wonder where one can buy just the projector setup aside from a crashed R6 on Ebay?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

the more i look the less i can find the projectors....

the headlight assy new is like $300+ dollars.....but you dont need the whole assy, you just need the projectors out of it, which yamaha dosent sell....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 03:08 PM
Squidtastical

That looks sweet. Can you align the projectors once their in?

"Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:18
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

what do you mean by align the projetor?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:01 AM
500 G.P. Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissajew86
what do you mean by align the projetor?
adjusting them up or down as needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FZ6 Mods:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

yes you can adjust them up and down with the stock adjuster bolts....the projectors are larger so it is limited in the amount of adjustment you have before it hits the housing...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 06:46 PM
500 GP Racer

Hey kissajew86 can you take a picture of the bike looking at it with the low beams on and again with the high beams on, wanted to see how they look and what I think they will look like with stock setup.
Seeing the projector lights in the FZ headlight inspired me to finally get around to this project too. I been thinking about this for a year or so but have been just to lazy to hunt down the parts I needed till now. I am kinda doing something different with the light setup and will post pics and stuff once I get close to getting stuff tested out and bugs worked out.

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
|R6 Fork MOD|R6 Calipers |LSL Sliders
|05 Black Rims|Scorpion CF Exhaust|Corbin Seat|TankSlapper
|Yamaha Lower Cowl |Clears all around W/Intergrated LED Tail Light| TCP Seat Cowl|Puig DS Screen|Painted Hugger/Front Fairing/Side Cowl/Fender|Garmin E-Trex GPS|Galfer Custom SS Lines|
|05-R6 Projector Headlight retro-fit
|Moto-Tote to get it around
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Superbike Champion

I was finally able to nab a set of r6 headlights off ebay..for $46

anyways...I took them apart today to discover that it's actually one whole unit on each side . Each of the unit has 2 holes, simulating individual lights...what a piece of &^&%^$.

I don't know if I'll put them on at this point...I was thinking that they were actually 4 individual units. I'm leaning on getting 4 PIAA driving lights and fabricating a clamp to fit them in instead
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 01:44 AM
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by parttime
I was finally able to nab a set of r6 headlights off ebay..for $46

anyways...I took them apart today to discover that it's actually one whole unit on each side . Each of the unit has 2 holes, simulating individual lights...what a piece of &^&%^$.

I don't know if I'll put them on at this point...I was thinking that they were actually 4 individual units. I'm leaning on getting 4 PIAA driving lights and fabricating a clamp to fit them in instead
Yeah I got a unit last week in and took it apart and also discovered the same thing. I originally thought it be 4 separate bulbs but what there doing on the new R6 is left unit is low beam both projectors are on and then when you turn on the highbeams it turns on the right 2 projectors, not what I was thinking but I am working on something but its still in testing and parts gathering phase. I will post up once I have something more solid but happy I only spent under $30 buck for the R6 headlight unit I got.
I added a few pics to better explain to the folks out there who are also thinking about this, also I test fired mine up to see how the lights looked too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 038 (Medium).jpg
Views:	6368
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	67484   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 031 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1652
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	67485   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 Headlight Mod 025 (Medium).jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	67486  

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
|Yamaha Lower Cowl |Clears all around W/Intergrated LED Tail Light| TCP Seat Cowl|Puig DS Screen|Painted Hugger/Front Fairing/Side Cowl/Fender|Garmin E-Trex GPS|Galfer Custom SS Lines|
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Supersport Racer

it being all one unit dosent really have any disadvantage except the 2 low beam, +2 high beam setup wont work....which kinda suxs....
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 08:47 PM
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissajew86
it being all one unit dosent really have any disadvantage except the 2 low beam, +2 high beam setup wont work....which kinda suxs....
Yeah I don't like the idea of having the left on for low and right on for high so I am working on something I think will work but it will be a week or so till I get that spare headlight in and and tested up. Hopefully have a better idea in a week or so.

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Sigh.......

What about the R1 set up. They have both right and left low beams. Do you think they are much different in physical shape? I realy like the looks of this. How does the lighting compair to the stock? For someone who rides alot at night, would the lighting be....better, same or worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Jay
Using my new stealthy capabilities provided by my recent TPS update, I slowly sneaked up behind an old lady in a parking lot this morning.

I turned on the high beams, engaged the hazards, held down the horn, revved her up to the rev limiter and kicked the old bag over and rode off with her walker cackling madly.

I threw the walker at the nearest disabled child while doing a wheelie and gave the hot mother a wink. I think she was turned on.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 07:02 PM
500 GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait66
What about the R1 set up. They have both right and left low beams. Do you think they are much different in physical shape? I realy like the looks of this. How does the lighting compair to the stock? For someone who rides alot at night, would the lighting be....better, same or worse?
Not sure didn't really look into them as a option guess its possible if there about the same size as the R6 units but I will say its a tight fit for the R6 projectors so to fit anything larger maybe a problem. As for light its should be better but it also depends on how you mod it, now that I am done with mine I think it would of been better to remove the cutoff out of the right(high beam side) that would of helped throw more light out and farther down the road but you also got to take into account that I modded mine to make the 2 center ones as my low beams and outside 2 projectors as my high beams so its a little different than what kissajew86 done here. You could also mod the unit to allow for all 4 projectors to be on but you would be needing to keep them rev up to make sure your not over taxing your alternator.
Check out my thread if you haven't already.
http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/...d.php?t=300589

2004 FZ6/R6 Blue

FAZR6 FE Kit
|Dual Light MOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in