FZ6/FZ6R Mods All exhaust, tire, etc modification discussion

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Talking Turn signals in the Headlight POD MOD.

This is my second MOD on my baby. DISCLAIMER: this is a fairly simple mod but you will need to "damage" your main headlight casing......controlled damaging to be more exact. This means that it is a must to have a good pulse and skills with a dremmel tool. This said, let the carnage begin!

First off: youll need:
1 x dremmel tool with a small drill bit, the drill bit that cuts sideways, a
cutting disk bit, and a sanding drum bit.
1 x safety googles.
1 x patience.....better yet make it a double dose!

I strongly suggest that you remove the headlight pod assembly.....screw that just remove it! Remove everything (including the bulbs) from the pod assembly. Take a deep breath, put on safety googles, pray, and drill a hole in the top left part of the pod (the black part), theres a knob there on each side. Look at the second and third pic. This knob (which is already removed in the pics) is provided to add a bulb. Proof....read the black part engravings. After the hole is drilled, use the side drilling bit to make the whole as big as possible. Dont worry for tidiness, the whole knob has to come off. Now that you have access to the inside of the knob, use the cutting disk bit to cut of the knob from the inside. Just go in a circle in the inside the closest to the base as possible. Once the knob is removed use the sanding bit to make a nice round finish. DON'T MAKE A WHOLE BIGGER THAT THE KNOB! This circumference is just perfect for the turnsignal holder! Repeat on right side.

As you might have noticed, you have quite a plastic mess by now. Here comes the fun part. Take a hose and flush all that plastic crap out of the pod. Completelly dry the pod before continuing and make sure all the plastic fillings are gone. Take down both your front turn signals and remove the wiring with the bulb and it's holder. The bulb holder snaps in perfectlly in the new hole! Just snap em in and plug em up....Viola! (4th and 5th pics)

You will need to get one of those collored bulbs to get the orange glow back, and im still working on getting a suitable cap or filler for the hole left behind were the turn signals used to be at. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 015.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	30466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 012.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	30467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	30468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 018.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	30469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 019.jpg
Views:	843
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	30470  

Life is but a Blink of the Eye in Eternity.
That's why we must go FAZtER
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Champion

Talking Finished MOD pics

well.....here they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 023.jpg
Views:	1172
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	30471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 024.jpg
Views:	1964
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	30472  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Speedbump

That's really cool, but doesn't the blinker get lost in the glare from the headlight?

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Champion

Talking

Not exactly. Maybe during the day, but during the night its ok. Have in mind that the bulb in the picture is the original. Today im buying the colored one and im putting in a higher wattage so it shines more. Yes I know the blinking rate will change a bit.

post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Speedbump

I wonder how the pod will hold up to the heat of headlights and higher wattage running lights burning continuously... keep us posted.

(Never mind - I just saw your post in the other thread indicating what was on the back of the pod)

Last edited by Bill_B; 01-24-2005 at 11:30 AM.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:19 PM
500 G.P. Champion

I believe I read somewhere, that this setup is not legal in most states in the U.S. I will have to dig it up. I beleive VirtualT (no longer a FZ6 owner) did this mod, and it was discussed then. Since FAZter is in PR, he probably can get away with it.

FZ6 Mods:
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Speedbump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaesar
I believe I read somewhere, that this setup is not legal in most states in the U.S. I will have to dig it up. I beleive VirtualT (no longer a FZ6 owner) did this mod, and it was discussed then. Since FAZter is in PR, he probably can get away with it.
As long as the bulbs were amber, I wouldn't see why it would be illegal?
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 12:53 PM
500 G.P. Champion

It looks like it was EPEE and not VIRTUALT that originally did this mod. He said he asked a couple troopers, and that they didn't have a problem with it. But for some reason this is the stock turn signal location on the European models, but not the US models. Here is the original link that discussed this mod:

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/...ight=headlight

FZ6 Mods:
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 01:05 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Anyway, great instructions FAZter. I added your thread to the User Mods section of the Aftermarket Mods thread.

FZ6 Mods:
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Superbike Champion

Talking Woauw! I made the After Market MODs List. Yeeessss!!!

Well....thanks people. It was fairly easy taking the plunge and doing this since the headlight was already broken from my accident on january so if i messed up a lot I was getting a new pod anyway. The fun part is that I get to do it again with the new pods! Now I feel kind of stupid seeing that someone else already had done this mod. O well, copying is the highest form of flatery. Heres a mod i think no one has done yet: Im painting my headers with high temp black mate paint. Ill post some Pikey's once they cool from the furnace. In the meanwile heres some butter for your popcorn:

Im having some problems finding some friging bulbs that are amber and fit the hole i made. I did find some that are blue and are suposed to be hyper white but like it was mentioned on the old post of this mod, the bright headlights make the stock bulbs look amber in comparison wich is a good thing and if i slap on some hyper whites then the diference is lost. Anybody has an idea on this little problem? Ill keep scaning all our stores here in PR to see if i find any good match.

And yes, here in PR one can get away with almost anything.
One of our favorite pastimes (me and our rider buddies) is going into the highway at 1-2am and stoping infront of the highway patroler car right smack middle of the 4 lane hw.......then we all burn rubber infront of the cops and hope we get chassed down the hw. By now the "all lights of mod" some of my buddies have on their bikes come verry handy to get lost. Wow.....thats one hell of a divergence from the original topic....anyway heres some oil for that rusty brake disk lock:

post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 02:10 PM
Back Marker

This MOD was on my list of things to do. I am going to put in some Yellow High output LEDS. Looks good though, and thanks for working out the kinks.

Steve
2005 FZ6ST - "Bulldog"
Laser Extreme Quad Exhaust, FAZR6 Fender Eliminator, Clear Turn Signals, Dual Headlight Mod, Chain Guard Mod, Fairing Accents, Tank Edge Trim,

Future MODS: FE extension (gonna be cool, pics soon), GSG MOTO Frame and swingarm sliders, Lower Cowling, Paint Front fender silver & forks satin black, gel grips,

1979 XS1100SF - "Visitation"

"A man leaves his darkness when he follows the Son"
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Pre-Mixed

I did this a few months ago, I replied to the other thread, and as jcaesar pointed out, this mod that it is not technically legal at least in the state of CA (amber front turn signals must be no less than 4 inches from the furthest lit edge of the headlight). To remain legal, I added flush mounts in the stock locations .

---------------------------------------------------
'08 KTM 250xc(e)
'07 KTM 250sx
'07 Yamaha YZ250F - for sale
'06 Yamaha YZ250 - for sale
'04 Yamaha FZ6 - for sale
'04 Yamaha WR250f - for sale
'05 Ford F250 chipped, biodiesel, powerstroke FX4

----------------------------------------------------
Es ist nicht leicht, ein Gott zu sein.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Superbike Champion

Question Which ones?

I was planing on doing this too. Which flush mounts did u use?

post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Supersport Racer

Thanks for the write up. I think it looks great. The only problem is find a way to make the rear end look a little tidier (is that a word) as well. If only clear alternatives would have ever done the intergraded turn led tails they where talking about months and months ago. Well, I guess I have a weekend project ahead of me.

Take care.

-Kevin

So your signature is better than mine, big deal.. wanna to fight about it!
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:45 PM
TD Survivor

pod mod?

those of you that have done the pod mod, have you had any melting of the plastic? looks like the euro bikes have the reflective backing in the pods. just curious because when i get some time i will do this mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in