Sport Bikes banner

The Exhaust Thread

154K views 456 replies 173 participants last post by  lasermax 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I have seen an awful lot of “exhaust threads” of one type of another, and have been working on trying to get some info from the manufacturers as well, so as to compile it all in one nice tidy thread. I think it might be a good idea to try and consolidate all the various exhaust threads into one, where everyone can just keep adding to the knowledge base. If I am mistaken, well then just let this thread die I suppose lol.

First off, in the October issue of Sport Rider they tested over 30 slip on pipes, on a 2004 Yamaha R6 (which is fairly close to our bikes mil) I realize it’s not our bike, but perhaps it will give us insight into how each company at least attacks a given machine (which may not or may not apply to the FZ6)

I will post all their findings from the manufacturers that I currently know of that make a slip-on system for our particular bike.

2004 R6 Stock: 106.4HP & 90dba & 8.2lbs

Akrapovic: 108.8 HP & 95dba & 4.7lbs
Arrow: 107.8 HP & 99dba & 5.6lbs
Bos: 108.1 HP & 97dba & 8.6lbs
Devil: 108.1 HP & 101dba & 7.4lbs
Laser: 108.2HP & 96dba & 6.4lbs
Leo Vince: 108.1HP & 101dba & ?lbs
Nikko: 108.3 HP & 99dba & 8.2lbs
Remus: 108.2 HP & 99dba & 7.7lbs
Scorpion: 108.8 HP & 98dba & 5.7lbs
Two Bros Racing: 108.9 HP & 101dba & 4.9lbs
Wolf: 108.4 HP & 110dba & 5.7lbs
Yoshimura: 107.3 HP & 5.7dba & 5.7lbs

You can also “hear” how each of these pipes sound by going to:
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0410_pipe_clips/

Others have also had success with drilling out the stock mufflers with a 12” drill bit of approx. 7/8th in size. (Possibly this with the cat replacement pipe would yield good results power and sound wise at an affordable cost… However, I think it best to always spend the money, if one can.)

Now, on to the famous or infamous Scorpion Exhausts… Well, I can’t do anything besides ask (which I did at my local shops) as to availability… I have a local “CycleGear” shop in town, and they looked it up for me, and told me they have it in stock, (who knows lol) and that it would cost 264.00 for the Titainium ones.

I also have my local Yamaha dealer working up prices for me currently on the Akrapovic, and Leo Vince ones. Hopefully in the next day or so I should know more. In addition, I am looking into the Arrows as well.

Please feel free to contribute to this thread and knowledge base of information concerning exhausts.

BTW in the same issue of Sport Rider they put the Akrapovic Slip-On system on an R1 and one of the quotes from the article is this:
"The Y pipe omits the stock catalyzer in the exhaust path; the catalyzer is a sure source of exhaust-flow restriction and heat, so we are curious to see the performance results"

Ok Now For Some Links:

How To Modify Stock Exhaust:

A number of people have modified the stock muffler, by doing a baffelectomy. Here are some links...

Modify Stock Muffler

Another way (and one I feel is much better) is to remove the cat on the bike.
(It WILL though, increase the sound... just not a ton, like drilling out the muffler can.)

Arrow Cat Eliminator Pipe

www.giomoto.com

They have a pipe which will eliminate the Cat. It is part of their overall exhaust package, but can be bought seperatly. It comes with the attachment point welded on to the pipe, and weighs half of the stock piece. In addition, the bike will run cooler, and have less back pressure.

Laser Sport Collector

Greetings FZ6 Fans,

We have completed the R&D of the LASER Sports Collector and it will be in production shortly. It will mate perfectly to the LASER X-Treme Quad and the LASER X-Treme Dual systems.

Of course it has been designed to enhance the power output and it is made of lightweight INOX Stainless. Our R&D department has indicated that the stock cat creates a lot of back pressure and thus loss of HP and a hotter running engine. It seems that the testing revealed an excellent EMS system and the use of a PC is not indicated.

**EDIT to remove some colours

See less See more
#2 ·
Enygma said:
When I was at the dealership I had asked about getting the cat-eliminator pipe from either Arrow or Scorpion, or possibly Akrapovic if they supply it… (they left that part out when I contacted them) I was told by the guys behind the counter, that if I remove the cat I would mess up the entire FI system on the bike. Now according to Akrapovic who makes an entire slip on system for the R1 which removes the cat they say no re-doing of the FI system is required. I heard the usual, well you will lose all your back pressure stuff, however I am not so sure that has any merit, or at least lots of merit on inline fours… Could anyone chime in on what they think about this… Should I avoid replacing the cat??

[/i]
Just got my bike back with the test pipe on it - see: http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10777

They system is 4-1-2 and removes the cat. The shop is about 100kms from home so I got to give it a good work out along the freeway. The mid-range has improved greatly, but the top seems to have lost its zip! Still feels strong but not the madman that I remember - I haven't riden it for 10 days. They are going to email me the dyno graphs which should show whats going on.

Most importantly it sounds ferkin nice.

#4 ·
Enygma said:
When I was at the dealership I had asked about getting the cat-eliminator pipe from either Arrow or Scorpion, or possibly Akrapovic if they supply it… (they left that part out when I contacted them) I was told by the guys behind the counter, that if I remove the cat I would mess up the entire FI system on the bike. i][/color]
Alrighty then......I have the Aluminum Arrow exhaust with the catalytic convertor eliminator pipe. I ordered it directly from the the US importer giomoto.com. Delivery time was ~ 2 weeks as I had to wait for their weekly shipment from Italy. The dyno shows a 5.3hp gain. Is has removeable baffles and is EU certified. Install time was about an hour, and it works well with FAZR6's fender eliminator. Cost was aound 750-800 if I remember correct. No catalytic convertor=no problems at all. Shedding it eliminates weight, it does nothing to the FI system, whomever says that is full of it. The bike runs and sounds awsome, I would highly recommend this system.
Any questions?

Attachments

#5 ·
Scorpion update: Dealer made a call for me to the supplier ... official answer ... tied up in customs ... dealer said he felt like the supplier was blowing him off with a story .... to my knowledge Scorpions orders are being placed, but noone is getting the product.

BTW, I think the arrows look great and I love the fact that they have a cat-eliminator

#8 ·
I wiped out, and now need new headers...looks like I'll be hitting you guys up for suggestions here before too long.

On another note, I wiped out my right side, and was worried about the cost of all new plastics. As it turns out, she wrecks nice!!!
Normal price for a 1/4 faring set on any other bike : about $400 or more. The cost for an entire right side for the FZ6? HA! About $140!!! Hows THAT for cool?! Ebay may not have anything to replace our parts yet, but it doesn't look like we'll *need* it...this little girl takes her hits, and gets back on the road!

I swear, I'm more impressed with her every day.

#10 ·
Ok some more info... We can scratch Yoshimura. I received an email back from them stating that they have no application for the FZ6.

Dirpinirptik: Look into Akrapovic. They make an entire exhaust system as well as a slip on system for our bike according to my dealer.

Netboog: I would think one larger hole would probably be better, but lets hope some of the people who have done it will chime in and give more definitive answer.

#11 ·
Enygma said:
Ok some more info... We can scratch Yoshimura. I received an email back from them stating that they have no application for the FZ6.

Dirpinirptik: Look into Akrapovic. They make an entire exhaust system as well as a slip on system for our bike according to my dealer.

Netboog: I would think one larger hole would probably be better, but lets hope some of the people who have done it will chime in and give more definitive answer.
Please change the text color as this is impossible to read, black comes to mind :twofinger

Skippy

#14 ·
dirpnirptik said:
You rock....Thanks for the help...
You're welcome. Hard to beat an Akrapovic exhaust too.

Other news: Altho even I can see an application for a slip-on for our bike on Microns website. When my dealer called them today they were told they don't have a slip-on for the FZ6 yet. I will try to find out if this is correct myself.

#15 ·
According to Akrapovics website, they only make the slip on. I wouldnt count on your dealer getting proper info from Lockhart (US importer) they are not too swift. Many months ago they told hardracing.com they had a slip-on in stock for the FZ6, so I ordered from hardracing and Lockhart drop shipped it to me, guess what, it was a can for a Fazer! Lockhart took 2 weeks to finally figure out what they had wasnt the right item, I even had to email them the PDF file I had saved, showing them what it was supposed to look like. It ended up taking over a month to get my money back because those cheap bastards (Lockhart) wouldnt issue a call tag to me, instead, they would only snail-mailed a return tag to hardracing who had to snail-mail it to me. Sorry about the rant, this whole BS thing with Lockhart made me nuts, you know what its like waiting for a cool part to arrive at your front door!

#16 · (Edited)
I am going to shoot off an email to Akrapovic about the headers, and non-catalyzed up-pipe, and will check into the availability of Micron tomorrow.

Akrapovic is a 4-6 week wait for their slip-on system. (Although if I had to wait for an exhaust they would be one of the few companies I would wait on.)

I was at Microns site and it shows the slip-on, yet my dealer calls them directly and are told, we have nothing for the FZ6?!

*EDIT To remove colour.

#18 ·
as_wheel said:
Talked to indysuperbike.com Tuesday,said the Scopions will be in there warehouse by Friday.
Wow, I wonder if this is true. I think I'll have to order if they ever claim to have them in stock. I wonder how many they are getting.

Finally getting some good news about the stuff I want for this bike. I have been loosing interest in spending money one her because of long delays like this one and putting money into my car... maybe this will shift my mindset back into bike mode.

#19 · (Edited)
Akrapovic got back to me... They unfortunatly do not make *as they do for the R1* a non catalyzed up-pipe for the FZ6. They have only the slip-on.
So for non catalyzed up-pipes... Arrow and Laser are only companies I know of so far that offer them.

I have not completly found out about what Micron has or doesn't have.

*EDIT to remove colour.

#20 · (Edited)
Im in the process of making my own UP PIPE. I had an exhaust shop bend some exhuast tubing 1-3/4" and i have coated it with 1200 degree high temp paint and i will make a hanger to mount it in the stock location. Everything in this pic together only cost me 15 bucks!

Attachments

#21 ·
Ah Thanks dirpnirptik, where did you get your plastic parts. I just dropped mine tonight on the left side and broke the inside plastic peice and scraped up the outside. I also need a new clutch lever due to the fact that it broke as well on the end. There just had to be a curb where i dropped it and it wouldnt just land on the handle bar. :angry

#23 ·
hehe

kdk1899 said:
Im in the process of making my own UP PIPE. I had an exhaust shop bend some exhuast tubing 1-3/4" and i have coated it with 1200 degree high temp paint and i will make a hanger to mount it in the stock location. Everything in this pic together only cost me 15 bucks!

15 bux!!! so how much are you going to charge us? :)

#24 · (Edited)
Nice pipes Silverbullet... and you can't beat the price right? ;)

KDK... you might have a business there. I am looking into the Arrow cat eliminator pipe. Unless I do what you did.

Unfortunatly, due to a very serious medical emergency in my family, I will be going away for a bit to NY. So all this exhaust stuff for me shall have to wait.

*EDIT To remove colour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.