User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Florida Forum Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My Race Weekend at Homestead

My weekend started out kind of rough. As most of you know, I'm racing an R6 (600cc) this year instead of the GSX-R1000 (1000cc) that I raced last year. Being that the R6 is a 2008 model, parts are a little hard to come by. My bodywork didn't come in until Thursday night, and we had plans to leave for the track Friday at 7am. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

I got up at sunrise to paint the bodywork so we could load the bike and go (and so I didn't have to spray paint the stuff in the parking lot at Homestead......that tends to bother folks), but when I got up it was raining. So I did a few other things that I still needed to take care of and by then it had stopped raining.

With a few other problems and some bad luck the bike was loaded and we were on the road by 3pm. A little late to say the least, and I still had more work to do to the bike.

At 7am Saturday morning we were at the track. I spent the first half of the day taking care of that "other stuff" I mentioned which included: having the bike tech'd, getting race tires mounted, (with Glen's help) installing new forks, shock, and a steering damper (thanks Glen!).

At 1pm Saturday I was heading out on the track for the first time on my new R6. The bike felt amazing. I was a different story. While everything was going good......I was still trying to ride the bike like a 1000. Point and shoot was not going to work for this bike.

In my next two sessions I improved, but I was still 5 seconds off my previous best of 1:32 on my 1000. And with that, practice was over.....now it's time to head off to the 2007 CCS Awards Banquet.

The Banquet was fun. I was presented with trophies for three Championships: Amateur GTO, Amateur Unlimited Supersport, Amateur Unlimited Superbike! I had a speech planned, but when I got on stage my mind went blank! Oh well....I thanked God, Pirelli Tires and my wife. Haha....if I forgot you on stage, my biggest apologies. There were many people who helped me through the season, and for that I am truly thankful.

At 7am Sunday, we were at the track again. It's RACE DAY!

I went out for the morning practice/warm up. The bike feels good....but I'm getting this nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. I can't wait for the green flag to drop.

First race, GTU, I was gridded on the second row thinking great, I'm about to get ran over by a speeding freight train! The green flag dropped, and while I did get passed, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I did however continue to slip to the back while trying to come to grips with the 600's lack of power. I needed to exploit it's advantages....one being corner speed. I ended up 20th in that race.

Second race, Middleweight Supersport, again I was gridded on the second row. I got a little better start there and I was starting to feel better on the bike. I believe I finished 15th in that race. After a GREAT battle with Mark Carbajal, he ended up passing me, but he also helped me in some spots that I was having trouble.

Next race, Heavyweight Supersport. A little better start, better lap times, and a better finish. I ended up getting 7th in that race.

Last race, Middleweight Superbike. Again, I had a great battle with Mark Carbajal, but this time I stayed in front of him! I believe I finished 16th in that race, but the highlight was my lap times dropped 5 seconds over the weekend. I did a 1:33 in that race, which was within 1 sec. of my best time on my 1000 at Homestead. I think this is going to be a fun year of racing!!

Florida Forum Moderator
CCS EXPERT #247
Check out my sponsors: Munchel Brothers Jewelry -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lovering Auto Sales-863.687.8888, Orangefield Citrus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM
It's me

Sounds like you ended up having a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what you can do with a little more practice on the new bike. Good luck to ya this year. I know you'll win em again.

Ron

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congrats Brian. It will take some time getting used to the 600. But we have confidence in you that you will succeed. GOOD JOB.

Green is NOT the fastest color.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Good job on getting the times down.

Life is measured by the size of your chickenstripe untill you have none, then you have lived.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Tallahassee Powersports

Just remember to have fun... not too many people actually 'make money' doing this. Its a big step jumping to Expert, not to mention how competitive the 600 class is. Just wait until you get your Pro license, those guys make you feel stupidly slow... Good luck, have fun!!

Jennings GP Control Rider
1989 GSXR 7/11, Vintage Racebike A
1989 GSXR 7/11, Vintage Racebike B
1991 GSXR 1100 Old Blue, Daily Rider
Trackday @ JGP on the 7/11
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Florida Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRacerX View Post
Just remember to have fun... not too many people actually 'make money' doing this. Its a big step jumping to Expert, not to mention how competitive the 600 class is. Just wait until you get your Pro license, those guys make you feel stupidly slow... Good luck, have fun!!
Oh, I'm having fun. You can count on that.

Florida Forum Moderator
CCS EXPERT #247
Check out my sponsors: Munchel Brothers Jewelry -
Lovering Auto Sales-863.687.8888, Orangefield Citrus
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Superbike Champion

Glad to see you made it through the weekend. How did Glen do?
I'm sure there are more out there who are asking the same question.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I'm A Naughty Girl

Way to go B. Welcome to the "whiteplate" world! Maybe you should ride a SV!....It's ALL about corner speed!!! Glad you had a good weekend. Now just learn to ride all over again!!!Less brake...more throttle!!!

Ducati Jen's
Tracked up SV

Collecting "Man Cards" with my SV! :lol

[COLOR=Red]CCS #81[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]WERA #81[/COLOR]
A wise indian once told me:
To finish [COLOR=Yellow]FIRST[/COLOR].....[COLOR=Yellow]FIRST[/COLOR] you must finish!

[COLOR=DarkOrange]WIZARD[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue]RACING[/COLOR]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in