Sportbikes.net - View Single Post - A guide for learning wheelies.
View Single Post
post #182 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:36 PM
MoxieATS1
Superbike Champion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR3NALINE FIX View Post
Clutching is a much better way of quickly and accurately getting it up on one wheel. Clutching is also required on most bikes under 750cc, unless you're doing POW POW's which are not efficient and rather unpredictable. With a clutch up method, you can pop it directly into the angle you want to be at, instead of rising, rising, rising until you get to the point.

I was doing pow pows (what your friend is probably doing) and then learned clutch ups. Haven't done a pow-pow since.
Well, I don't exactly agree on the clutching is required on 750cc and below bikes. Other than that though this post is pretty much dead on accurate. Really there is no ONE way to wheelie. It depends on what you are trying to achive VS. the risk at which you are willing to take. If you just want to be able to wheelie down the highway and nothing more you can clutch it up at speed (any where from 40 - 60 mph depending on your bike and skill) where the bike is more stable than a slow wheelie but if something goes wrong the chances of getting hurt go up drastically, because of the speed of course. You can clutch is up from a dead stand still or close to it and you wont go tumbling down the road if something goes wrong but your chances of looping it are higher. Again it's all about risk Vs. reward, and what you really want to achive. I don't know or care if this post helps but it's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by MoxieATS1; 02-23-2010 at 11:16 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome