Sport Bikes banner

The best bike trip ever!

27K views 71 replies 20 participants last post by  kawagirl 
#1 ·
Things around here are move'n slow for me.So i figured i'd start a thread that might stimulate alittle action.[its winter,and i'm stuck in the house]
What was your best bike trip,or what would be your best bike trip??
I'll start.I rode the train from New York to Oregon.Bought a new/used bike[had it all set up before i got there]and rode it home.Stoped in Yellowstone for a couple of days,and stayed up in the northern part of the USA all the way home.3700+ miles all by myself.It was a great weeks vacation,and i did ride 6 states that i haven't rode in before.
I do spend my vacations on bike trips every year,and find great enjoyment finding,planing,and ride'n different place.Dirt,pavement,gravel,etc etc,it don't matter.This year its Nova Soctia.Up the coast of Maine,thru New Brunswick[the Fundy trail parkway]and into Nova Soctia.Around the whole providence,then take the ferry back to Maine and home.
So where have you been,or where do you want to go?I need ideas.:boink

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
My favorite bike trip so far was the week long, 2000 mile vacation to Virginia that my wife and I took last summer. Rode Skyline Drive and some of the BRP, tent camped all but the first and last night. Gorgeous weather, great riding. Loved every minute of it.

I also enjoyed my first Iron Butt ride that I did in September. Totally differnent kind of riding, but fun and memorable in its own way.

#5 ·
Nice!Ahh,the Blue ridge.A most do for any motorcycle rider!Did you go all the way down to the smokey mountains?
The first time i did the BRP,i was 19,and rode a 1970 Triumph tiger hard tail with a mechanical rear drum and no front brake.Your only young once.:banana
Where's the next trip?

#6 ·
My wife and I rode from Florida to CA, then to the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Moab, Joe Cocker's, Grand Canyon of the Gunnison, Royal Gorge, Pikes Peak, up to Sturgis for a week, then a week to get home.

Spent 30 days on the Harley that trip, 8K miles. Unforgettable.

#7 ·
Outstanding!!!
That my friends is what i'm talking about!!!!:bowdown

Come on guys wheres the next trip going to take you?Buellbomb,you going to try top'n that one,on the Buell or the big twin?

#8 ·
I have two top rides. First, I picked up my recently purchased strom in CA and rode it back to OK in 5 days via Sedonna, Grand Canynon, and Santa Fe. An amazing trip.

My other top ride was Big Bend last spring. The roads there are amazing; both off and on road. The people we met were down to earth motorcycle guys and there was always beer. What more could you want?

Here's a pic of my strom while heading to the ghost-town of Jerome via Prescott
National Forest

Another pic:

Here's some pics from Big Bend National Park:

#9 ·
I'll be heading back to Big Bend next year but my big trip is going to be to MOAB. I also have a side excursion planned to visit many of the mods I "work" with.

#12 ·
Ya,mama probilie don't like ride'n on the back of the Buuusa.
Thats alright,i'm doing the NO MAAM,tour this year too.Just the boys to Nova Soctia.Not that i wouldn't want my wonderful wife along for the ride.[That was just in case she was look'n over my shoulder]
Good luck!:boink

#13 ·
I have so many... It's hard to pick just one.

As far as riding is concerned, I ran through SW Texas twice with very memorable experiences:

The first one, I passed by the Guadalupe Mountains and followed US 90 back to San Antonio after purchasing my XT600 in January. The ride back was in the upper twenties to upper thirties for most of the trip. I saw some amazing scenery and froze my @$$ off. I also discovered that the bike needed a little bit of attention.

I swore I'd come back. I did, several times. Most recently, I camped out in Ft. Davis at the state park and hit the loop around the Davis Mountains, swung through Big Bend State Park and the river road, and hiked a little at the Guadalupe Mountains National Park.

Both were weekend trips - just enough to get away and recharge. Unlike some of my longer trips, I wasn't completely wiped out from being on the road so much. (My bank account didn't suffer as greatly, either!)

Attachments

#14 ·
Where's the pics in the lower right corner?

#29 · (Edited)
Come on old pal!!!We got the room for another!
Were leave'n the 20th of June,and we'll be back the 27-28th.:banana
You can crash at my place.Theres a guy out of Daytona that ships bikes for $320 bucks to my door,then a brisk 2000 mile rounder,and home.
We'll show you some yankee hospitalite!:boink
Maybe we'll get you out on one of theses!

Attachments

#27 ·
ahhh, big bend. Lajitas has a great bar (the dirty/dusty goat? I can't remember exactly) that over looks the course and the river. Great place to watch a ball game and have a beer.

I haven't done any of the awesome kinds of trips the rest of you have, but I did spend a weekend riding around the Gila National Forest. I rode hwy 152 from silver city to hillsboro, had some lunch, then looped back to just outside of Deming. I took hwy 180 back up to the road that goes by City of Rocks (the route number escapes me right now) and into the Mimbres valley. I continued through the valley to Lake Roberts and out to the Gila Cliff dwellings where I camped for the night. There was quite a bit of dirt/sand/rocks on the road out from lake roberts to the dwellings if I remember correctly. I started at a nice pace, but ended up taking my sweet time because it was pretty bad. Set up camp by the head light :p

2nd day I got up and ate a fire side breakfast. I can't put into words how different and awesome that feels for a city boy. Took the road back into Silver City (through Lake Roberts and Pinos Altos), which is an amazing, curvy road but doesn't have a center line for a long stretch of it... which can be both good and bad. Met up with my mum for a early and light lunch at the Adobe Springs Cafe in Silver City, then headed out on 180 towards Gila (well, actually towards the Catwalk national recreation area.. which is in a little town I can't remember the name of). I took off a side highway into the hills to an old mining town called Mogollon. It's an amazingly beautiful ride and since I had plenty of time I took as much of it as I could to enjoy the ride. I spent a couple of hours hiking the hills around there looking at the old mining sites and then headed back down the hill to Gila and my mums house for the night. My longest ride... the exact mileage was unknown and I really didn't care to keep track as it was just a weekend getaway. I took my tent, my sleeping bag, 2 changes of clothes, a bit of camp gear and a 2 gallon gas can on a 89 honda vtr250. There were a few stops for gas, but i was never pushing it and it seemed that the tank lasted forever. One of the greatest weekends of my life and as soon as spring comes here to Oregon I plan on doing something similar here... with more pictures :)

#28 ·
I don't know that sounds like a awseome trip to me!
How far away from the Pacific coast highway are you?For me its in the top 5 best motorcycle roads in the USA.
Theres always Yellowstone national park.That isnt to far,be a good weekender!
Do you ride dual sport?Man,you live in a state with out standing dual sport oportunitys!That really opens a new world of ride'n,and makes you a better street rider.
Ethierway take a new trip,let us know about it!:boink

#30 ·
^^ now that would be an adventure. The forest roads in New Mexico are amazing.. in fact, from here in S. Oregon all the way to Silver City, NM you can take back roads and forest roads and spend a week going the 1000 miles. I have never done anything like that but I know a man who wants to try it and has a route mapped out. Should be interesting if that ever happens and I'll surely try to get on board.

great pictures guys.

#31 ·
Go here if want something to spend time on!:boink
Trans-America Trail, Cross-Country Motorcycle Adventure, Motorcycling, Trans-Am Trail, Sam Correro, Dual-Sport, Motorrad Media, BMW, F650, GS, Road Less Traveled documentary,
The begining[or end depend'n on how you start]isn't far from you.
I know this a sport bike web page.But street bikes aren't the only SPORT bikes out there.I've got'n alot better on the street,by ride'n the dirt.
You can get a good dual sport for like a grand.
Don't be afraid of give'n it a try.By the way theres over 5 million miles of dirt roads in the USA!

#32 ·
Yeah, I have the TAT planned in my some-distant-future.

#35 ·
Yea the local dealer up here is going to get some of those for test rides.
I'm sure i'll be drop'n it alot!:banana
Yea i guess your pretty busy this year.Kids can put a damper on the free time.But i guess there worth it.I've got a hard enough time with the dogs.
If you look for a dual sport,don't rule out the DR350.There around pretty cheap,and a good blend of small and power.
I've got my road bikes i can't live without,but man it'd be hard keep'n saine without a dual sport.

Attachments

#37 · (Edited)
Yea,the only reason i said DR350 over a b***** bike was price.Where i'm at you see them in real good condision for like $800.
At the moment i've got DR650SE,what a blast!:banana
Unless i'm doing a big road only trip thats the bike i ride the most.Theres alot of dirt roads where i live.Besides other then gas and oil changes its point and play.60 mpg,$40 a year insurence,and with the right tires its a blast in the twistys.
Oh,your show'n your age old pal,DR600.I think the last one of those was 1990.:lao
I used the old,i need a comuter bike because of the gas prices baby.
Besides you cant play golf with one club,and i can't ride just one kind of bike!

Attachments

#38 ·
I am fairly new to the riding game and havent been privlaged enough to take many trips. But by far one of the best times of my life was a ride i took down to TN/NC. I went with my dad, cousin,uncle and his friends. We went from Cincinnati down to about 10 W of Pigion Forge. We rode the Foothills Parkway and the infamous Dragon. Along with some other great roads around that area. It was an awesome trip with the best roads i have ever ridden :D

#44 ·
we did our gapse trip.. great time!

two old guys take their BRP's north to the land of poutine....
or.... how we chased never-ending rain for three days and then saw the sun

so, we have been planning a trip to Gaspe for a bit and the time finally arrived for our trip to start.

it begins:

Day before.. trying to figure how all this will fit...

Merc is all packed up though

I arrive at the crack of 10:00.... and get a serious ration of shit...

and we're ready

... to be continued

#45 ·
so we rock out of F-ing-ham, and the skies are a bit grey. Calling for showers on and off... it'll be a theme for the next few days, cold front moving slowly north-east.. at about the same speed as a BRP.

gas stop along the way

not a lot of pics, we swung past Sebago in Maine and kept going north. The weather got on & off brighter, but never promising.

finally arrived just outside Mount Blue State Park in Maine.

stopped for food & drinks and found this fellow

should have slapped the Contender hat on him....

we get up the road to Mount Blue & set up..

get some bacon on

me and the Merc are feeling good!
we'll see how long that lasts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.