Sport Bikes banner

Learning the wheelies.

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  snigg 
#1 ·
So I replaced my stock clutch at almost 25k, and it's amazing how much better the bike responds. Anyone with high mileage should do it, it's simple, cheap and you WILL notice a difference. Anyway, I had been only doing 1st gear wheelies off clutch, and they made me nervous, they'd come up really high, really fast. I'd end up setting them down really quick. Now with the new clutch, I can get 2nd up pretty good at around 40-45mph on stock gears. Still a chicken shit about hitting the BP (nowhere near it), but I'm getting better. I'm WAY more comfortable in 2nd then I am in 1st, it's just seems less twitchy, but it still comes down just as fast.

#3 ·
i just started to try wheelies on my new(used) bike yesterday, i don't know exactly how to clutch it so i just do 1st gear power wheelies. does anyone know if it's common to shift out of first inorder to maintain longer wheelies?
also how do you get it up in second? and how exactly are you supposed work the clutch to do it that way?

#4 ·
howfast? said:
i just started to try wheelies on my new(used) bike yesterday, i don't know exactly how to clutch it so i just do 1st gear power wheelies. does anyone know if it's common to shift out of first inorder to maintain longer wheelies?
also how do you get it up in second? and how exactly are you supposed work the clutch to do it that way?
No that is not common. It is possibly to shift gears while in a wheelie but not recommended. It takes quite a bit of practice and you gotta have the bike up pretty damn high to shift anyway. You are better off just bringing that shit up to balance point and holding it....:headbang

#5 ·
snigg said:
No that is not common. It is possibly to shift gears while in a wheelie but not recommended. It takes quite a bit of practice and you gotta have the bike up pretty damn high to shift anyway. You are better off just bringing that shit up to balance point and holding it....:headbang
I have to disagree a little.
Disclaimer; I am not condoning doing wheelies!
But, if you want to extend a wheelie, you can shift into second, third etc. etc. while up in the air. But, for me, it's a lot easier shifting without the clutch. You do have to have a little practice at snickin the next gear when your off the throttle a little. And, always cover the back brake with your foot. If you feel yourself getting close to noon, then just tap the back brake and you will get a hard landing, but you won't break your ass.

#8 ·
howfast? said:
a friend told me that it's hard to go too far back and flip over during a wheelie true or not? and how do you use the cluch to bring it up? or should i stick to power only?
Your friend told you wrong, you go ahead and slam the gas and you'll see how untrue your friends statement is.. If you want to learn to clutch use their is a sticky that explains in detail how it's done. Good luck and stay off your ass.

#12 ·
snigg said:
If you are at roughly 2 oclock annd pulling hard just slip the clutch and shift . I found it easier to shift sitting down . Its prolly just me but thats how i do it .. Most of my long wheelies are only at 3 oclock anyways ... due to the speed and my comfort level.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.