Sport Bikes banner

Need new tires....Impressions on the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct?

13K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  07zzr6004me 
#1 ·
Well just a tad over 4k miles and the tires are shot. My front most noticeably is getting very race slick-ish and the little flame tread voids are wearing horribly. Rear is approaching/at wear bars, and the outer edges are cupping pretty bad around the little tread design things.

My riding style:

Commute 100 miles a day, go on weekend tours for a few hundred miles through the twisties.

What I'm looking for:

A tire with better turn in. The stock Dunlop 207's turn in horribly IMO. I'm looking to improve that. I have been satisfied with the cornering the 207's gave but there is always room for improvement.

I described my needs to a guy at cycle gear who I go to for tech questions and he recommended the Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's. I read up on them and they seem decent and suited to my needs, anyone have feedback on them, or alternative choices?

Thanks

#2 ·
i went from stock to pilot powers and let me tell you the turn in is amazing the bike is so much more agile then it was stock.. I was goin with 2ct's but i got a deal i couldn't pass on the powers so i threw them on and boom ... transformed the bike.. next i will buy a 2ct rear tire and leave the front on.. i'm tellin ya tho.. the turn in rocks.

#5 ·
Well at cycle gear the prices were real close between the Pilot powers and 2ct's, but now I'm in a dilemma.

I'm worried that 2Ct's may be more aggressive tread wear than I want, and the Pilot Road 2 may not be aggressive enough.

ZZRROCKET, is there a huge difference between the Pilot Powers and 2ct's performance and wear wise?

#3 ·
I also have the normal Pilot Powers. For the price, I couldn't justify the added $$$ for the 2CT.

I have almost 2k on them, and they are wearing more evenly than my 207's could have. Way more grip for cornering, and they seem to ride smooth.

#4 ·
I ran normal Pilot Powers last season and got 6500 miles out of them. This season I'm running a regular Pilot Power on the front and a Pilot Power 2CT on the rear. The 2CT has over 4000 miles on it and it showing less signs of flat spotting in the center than the regular Pilot Power did last season. I like the tires for there great grip in dry and wet conditions. But they are definitely a short term use tire because of there soft compound. The next tires that I buy are going to be the Michelin Road Pilot 2CT. Gives you the best of both worlds. Softer compound on the edges and harder compound in the center to help increase tire life when riding up right.

Michelin North America Motorcycle Tires

Here's a picture of last seasons rear Pilot Power tire at 6500 miles.

Attachments

#9 ·
I have the Pilot Power SCs. They rock. The CT is the replacement for the SC. I bought three sets of SCs at a STT event, $200 a set, at the end of the season. 15,000 miles and on my last set. Burned up the first set @ Taladega GP, literally. That track just peels tread. I put another 6 track days at Barber on the next. I would hope you would get similar wear, 10-12K, of hard riding on the CTs. I wouldn't think of putting anything else on my bike.

#12 ·
I have the pilot roads 2 on myrear and the pilot2ct on the front i have only had the rear break loose 2 times both times the tire was cold and in the rain give it 10 15 mins and it was fine haven't had any other issues with it.

#14 ·
i love my conti attacks, but i rode my buddys CBR with the pilot powers and i must say they made an already great handling bike handle just that much better. They did break loose on me a few times when i goosed it exiting a corner, but they were fairly new so im sure that was just from not being totally scrubbed in. they are great tires. I think im going to try the Pirelli Corsa III as my next tire though...BTW Jay keep us updated on those PR2s when you get them im curiouse to see how they perform and if they are worth the extra $$

#16 ·
My rear stock tire still had great tread left at 7500. Problem was, the plug installed at 2500 wasn't holding air anymore and a group was planning a ride to middle TN so I replaced with Metzler M3. Went on a little ride with Oreo and a buddy of his and the tires had about 500 miles on them. His buddy said my back slid a couple times but I never noticed it except the couple times there was gravel on the road.

I noticed on the 207's the flat spot appeared rather soon. On the Metzlers I have about 1500 on them and no apparent sign of a flat spot.

#17 ·
The 2CT's offer excellent wet/dry grip, delightful turn-in, and so far, at 3,500 miles, very acceptable wear characteristics. But to me the 2CT's finest attribute is the superb feed back they provide. Those boys keep you constantly informed about just exactly what the surface conditions are and how close you're getting to the "oh shit" line.

#19 ·
I replaced the stock tires with Pilot Powers. I love those tires. Definitely made the bike feel better.

When the rear wore out I replaced it with a Pilot Road2.

So I have a Pilot Power front and a Pilot Road2 rear. It feels really good. I only have 1000 miles on this combo but so far so good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.