Sport Bikes banner

Had an accident last week

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tryout 
#1 ·
Well, my bike may be officially totalled. I crashed it last week hitting some gravel while leaning into a turn going about 40. I got some nice road rash on my left arm and knee, and some other minor cuts and scrapes.

I'm waiting for the insurance company to tell me whether or not they will declare it totalled or not. Honestly, it wouldn't really bother me that much if they did.

The experience was pretty scary and I'm not sure if I'm willing to get back on. It's only been a week, but I think I need to do some major re-thinking about this whole riding thing. If I ever do decide to get another bike, I will definitely make sure that I wear proper gear from head to toe (while I had a helmet on, I did not have on my jacket or proper pants - I was wearing jeans) That is the reason why I have the injuries that I do.

Anyway ladies...be safe..and always remember to wear proper gear. I wish I had.

#2 ·
OM gosh. well I'm SUPER glad your ok!! thats all that matters, but you need to remember somehting, we all take d******. First time I did, I had a new set of Avons on, maybe a week, living in Madison Wi at the time. Well, I was going around an off ramp doing 60ish when it was posted 20ish. It was foggy out, and damp, and I'd never felt my bike fishtail before. First thing I did was the SR. I let up off the gas. Leason #1 DONT DO THAT!! If I would of stayed on it, I prolly wouldnt of lowsides. At the time, I didn't have gear on either. I slid about 100 feet. took off 1/2 me ass, and both legs. and I wadded my bike. my brand new 98' 900RR :cry :cry I thought I'd never get back on a bike again, even riding bitch, but I did after about a month. It'll freak you out, but if you love the sprt that much, you wont give it up. Every one falls, Ive done it plenty of times. We all have, just remember that

#3 ·
Glad to hear you came out alright!!! We all take falls, mine was last year going about 25 into a gas station...slipped on a patch of sand and broke my right tibia...had jeans on but the jeans never got a hole in them or anything--weird.

At any rate..you can see I am still riding. I know it's scary but like japbike said...if it's truly in you to ride you will...best thing to do is get back in the saddle as soon as possible--if that's what you want.

Gear is a good thing...at least get yourself a good jacket--leather or textile.

I hope you decide to stay in the sport but if you don't I can respect that choice too :) Heal up and I hope you feel better from the wounds! Keep us posted!!

#4 ·
KrisRN said:
Well, my bike may be officially totalled. I crashed it last week hitting some gravel while leaning into a turn going about 40. I got some nice road rash on my left arm and knee, and some other minor cuts and scrapes.
Ouch. I totally feel for you. I was in a similar accident nearly 7 years ago. Worst off, was that it was a wet road at night; decreasing radius right turn, gravel on the road, 50 mph, I high-sided, bike dragged me across three lanes, up onto a median, broke my right leg in two places. I never realized how bad my F2 looked until three days later.

The lucky thing was that a Fire Station was right on that corner, and the guys from the station heard the accident. One them said he thought there were two vehicles involved because it was so loud.

I was only wearing a helmet; no jacket, no gloves, and a thin pair of jeans.

The experience was pretty scary and I'm not sure if I'm willing to get back on. It's only been a week, but I think I need to do some major re-thinking about this whole riding thing. If I ever do decide to get another bike, I will definitely make sure that I wear proper gear from head to toe (while I had a helmet on, I did not have on my jacket or proper pants - I was wearing jeans) That is the reason why I have the injuries that I do.

Anyway ladies...be safe..and always remember to wear proper gear. I wish I had.
It took me 4 1/2 years to get my courage up to ride again, because I felt that the experience (the crash) just scared me to bits. I can remember that I was able to do anything with my bike; walk it around, take coners tightly, etc. Now, I am very timid when it comes to "right" turns (i can DIP very low on my left, but my right turns suck), and I can't 'walk' my bike if my life depended on it (for fear of it dropping or tipping over).

I got back into riding through the suggestion of my x-beau, but knowing i still had some issues, I went back to a Ninja 250 and started there. I retook the MSF class (since it was nearly 9 years since I took it) and now, I ride an R6 (I still have issues with my right turns). I look back and think often , why I never just jumped right back on.

Because I was afraid. Afraid that I would do the same thing again.
Some of us take time to get the nerve to come back, but now, I regret those years that I did miss out on riding beause I wasn't willing to face my fears.

I hope everything works out for you. Riding is about the only "free" thing that I can do without pressure, and of course, about the only thrilling thing out there to do. I totally understand why you are having second thoughts about getting back into riding, and dont feel that you should have to explain yourself to others on why you dont want to ride. During my "hiatus" , I focused on finishing my schooling and my interests turned to cars instead. Kept my mind off of it, but, the bug to ride came back once I knew others rode as well. Hope you can find those close to you to show you the positive side of riding, but yes, take some time to heal yourself, and of course heal your mind.

#5 ·
hey Kris
sorry to hear about your getoff. however, i am glad to hear for the most part you are ok. like the others said, we ALL fall at some point. The one year anniversary of my major wreck is on Sunday the 18th. Last year it was the day after my birthday, I had just started riding a couple of months before that and I was on my bf's R1, which by itself wasn't a good decision, but nevertheless, there I was. I came into a corner too hot (about 60+), hit the rolled median, motorcrossed across the median before I hit a concrete runoff. I face planted intot he grass and slid like 40 or 50 feet while my bike slid off to the other side of the road. I broke my collar bone and had various scapes and bruises. the bike would've been totalled. I ripped the front end of it completely off, broke both the upper and lower triples, broke the spokes out the rim, tacoed the rotors and bent the forks. I don't know how I walked away from it. But I did. I had a 5 week hiatus while my bone healed to think about 1) what had happened, 2) where i made my mistake (didn't lean far enough and was on a b***** bike than I should've been and 3 whether or not I wanted to ride again.

After 5 weeks, my bone was healed, the bike was fixed and I had done some serious soul searching. I got back on it, was scared shitless, and bought the bike. If rding is something you truly completely enjoy and can't live without, you will get back on it. If you choose not to however, it is completely understandable and cool that you recognize it may not be right for you at this point in time. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck. You will have everyones support in your decision.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the support guys. I know it's only been a week and it's still so fresh in my mind, but I have a feeling deep down inside that I will get back on. I realize what had gone wrong (not wearing proper gear and feeling too comfortable on small back roads that I did not know well) and in the future I know I'll be 1000% more careful.

My problem was that I was trying too fast to develop skills that I was not ready for. I hadn't even been riding for a year when it happened, and a friend of mine who is an excellent rider was kind of my mentor...teaching me something knew every day. He had a lot of confidence in my riding ability..always told me I was a "natural" and that I rode better than a lot of guys he knows.

I thought too much of myself...thought I could do anything that he could do, and I think that was my problem. I needed more time to hone (sp?) the basics before moving on to the more advanced stuff.

Well, anyway, it's a little reassuring to hear that I'm not the only one to have gone through something like this (not that anyone elses mishaps should be something to be glad about...I'm sorry that any of you ladies ever got hurt). And, hopefully, one day...I'll be back in the saddle again.

#7 ·
Just about a week ago I hit some gravel in the middle of a corner. Stupid country road came on to the highway right at the end of the corner. Not only the gravel but the bank instantly changed to flat and off I went. I was going about 75 in the corner but got the speed down a little before I lost it. At least it reduced the damage to myself AND my bike. The left fairing got smashed as it slid under me and then we both went flying through the air in to a ditch. I almost got it shut down and only hurt my foot and my left fairing. Putting it mildly, I was VERY lucky to walk away. My friend riding with me was at a loss for words that I wasn't dead and I rode the bike home.

#8 ·
One good thing to remember is to always eat humble pie while on the bike

The minute you get too comfortable or too confident...that's the minute that could change your life...<wink>

#9 ·
AND know the rode! I hadn't been on it in a while and forgot how that corner was. A car was coming so I stayed on the outside line to avoid it if it came across the center. By doing that I set myself up for failure. Had I been on the inside line, I would have been fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.