User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Umbrella Girl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Could use some advice.

I found a 2008 SV for $4400, 8500 miles. Checked it out last night, rode it and it seems in great shape. It has been sitting in his garage since last winter, was told he still starts it regularly though. Cosmetically it's almost flawless with a small white smudge near the tail, I couldn't care less about that.

After turning on the key, checking turn signals high/low etc. for about 30 seconds, we fired it up and it started no problem. We turned it off, chatted for a bit, then I got ready for the test drive. It wouldn't start due to a deadish battery so we had to jump it. Would that have been from the 30 seconds of testing lights?? It's a newer battery he says.

When we got it jumped it ran fine, no clutch rattle smooth acceleration, but I found out quickly there was no back brake. He had bled the lines earlier that week, and we attempted to do so after I go back, but then it went below LOW on dot4 and we still had no back brake >.>.

I'm newish to buying automobiles and even newer to buying bikes, we still verbally agreed on 4400 as I left (without the bike) once he got the brakes working. But on the drive home I got to thinking about potential problems with the alternator/battery and what could cause the brake to go out again.

He seemed like a good guy, ex military ex fireman and currently working at a VA hospital, had a nice wife kids were running around etc. and I'm really not worried that he's pulling a fast one in any way, but how should I approach our next conversation? The bank also has the title so I would be meeting up with him again in the next couple of weeks for that, and initially would just have the bill of sale. Do I offer $4000 until I know the bat/alt is working good as well as the brakes aren't going to crap out on me every 2 days? Also the bike is registered in Oregon and has Oregon plates and I live in California. Is that another fee on my end?

Sorry for the longer than intended post, and thanks to those who stuck around long enough to read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:04 PM
500 G.P. Champion

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

That price is wayyy too high. I paid 2800 for my 07 with 3800 miles mint. The battery is old, the brakes need bled, and he doesn't have the title? I wouldn't pay more than 3200 even if they never came around my area.
The Following User Says Thank You to drummer92 For This Useful Post:
Jfaden23 (11-21-2012)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM
World Superbike Racer

OP. That battery is mostly dead, but not due to the 30 secs of testing the lights.

Unless it is on a tender for the last year, regularly starting it up and let it sit idling is just not enough to charge or maintain the battery.

LRRS/CCS #604
The Following User Says Thank You to RocketPunch For This Useful Post:
Jfaden23 (11-21-2012)
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Umbrella Girl

Kelley Blue Book

Is KBB wrong? Do most people not want to spend that type of money on SVs, making my eventual resell much harder to get close to the price currently listed?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Umbrella Girl

~~
I've been looking at these bikes in my area lately and I have seen large fluctuations in price. Some are around 3500-4000 (2003-2007 usually) with some people looking for upper 4,000's (2008+). Not sure if something changed in '08 or what.

Considering you're going to have to get the brakes working properly, and probably get a new battery (if that's the actual problem), 4400 sounds too high. Unless you can get it cheaper, I'd keep looking.
~~
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Umbrella Girl

Looks like I also need to figure out if the bike can be registered in California by myself, according to Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Be Sure You Can Register It in California FFVR 29

Was sold by an out of state dealer so it could possibly be a 49 state bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.