Sport Bikes banner

ninja 300 to hayabusa

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  blackripley 
#1 ·
hi i'm planning in trading in my ninja 300 and getting hayabusa. i've got 4000 miles on the bike, not much highway so a good amount of seat time. i know the bikes are completely different. i just wanted some opinions regarding a bike that heavy and how it handles in everyday life, how friendly of a commuter it is and just generally how you feel about it. i was set on a speed triple but after riding a naked bike i said fuck that wind considering i ride when it's 40 degrees. any opinions are appreciated i'm just asking for your personal experience.
thanks for any and all info. ride safe

#3 ·
i hear you on the wrist control, ive ridden larger bikes. the ninja you can open up at anytime i have really enjoyed it most of my miles so far were spent in corners. i would love to keep it for just around town, but i really want a b***** bike for the highway and longer commutes. i will start riding a 200 mile trip twice a week all highway. my ninja is at 8k on the highway going 72mph with very little pull left lol. i want to two up with my girl since i'm getting more experienced also.

#5 ·
thanks for the recommendation!! i was considering the z1000, but there's a b***** aftermarket for busa's. the owners i've talked to say the fueling is soooo smooth. also i just love busa's they're gorgeous bikes, very refined and on top of it they sound incredible. they've made two major updates in 9 years with a tremendous following with more than satisfied riders. im almost wanting to wait for more gen 3 details to be leaked.

#7 ·
I put over 50,000 miles on the Busa that I had. It works just fine as a commuting or even touring bike. Sure it's got a little more weight, but once it gets rolling you don't notice it that much. It's not like you're going to be fighting to make it turn. It's stable and sooo smooth.

While I had my Busa I would always say that I'd loose my license much faster if I owned a Speed Triple. The Tripple is just a hooligan machine and I'd never be able to stay off the throttle if I had one of those. Of course you'll twist the throttle a bit on a Busa, but I was always a bit more controlled on that thing. But then again, I'm a big fan of naked bikes.

#8 ·
haha no doubt the speed is a hooligans bike and the fueling is unbelievably smooth from what i hear. which was what drew me to it in the first place aside from how great it looks. i really stress build quality and refinement. i figured it would shed that extra weight once rolling so that's good to hear. would the busa would be too heavy when not moving (driveway/parking on hills etc) for someone 5'9 140lb without gear?

#9 ·
So it's obviously going to be a bit heavier and more akward than a 300, but I don't think it's something you wouldn't be able to handle. An average size guy shoving around a Goldwing or HD Road King will will be strained way more than you ever will. Plus, it's a bit lower than some other supersport bikes. You're only an inch shorter than me, so hopefully you'll be nearly flat footed straddling the bike. That's a confidence booster to some people.

#10 ·
Another two cents in, this is going to be a big change in bikes.
There are two factors you should thing about when getting a motorcycle like a Hayabusa, location and riding style.

Location as in where you are going to ride it, the Busa is not a city bike it wants the open road, not stop and go. You can do stop and go on a big CC bike, but would want to look at twins or triples not a big 4, for that you want more torque for easy of the line every time.

(Riding) Style, how do you ride? Are you smooth, late breaking, ride the rails or wack the throttle and hold on for dear life rider? I tend to want to good deep in to the turns and drop to the side and roll on. So a Busa is not my type of bike. I have ridden with a truly fast Busa rider who knew how to use its power. He and I rode vary different lines on the track and in the canyons.

As I have said over the years I have ridden hundreds of different motorcycles in just about every style, there has yet been a bike that I did not have fun riding, but there has only been a few (8) I have chosen to buy.

#11 ·
justin726 that's a good point about people riding goldwings and road kings. i've ridden plenty of dirt bikes i really had to tip toe on with no issues. busa seat height is about 3/4" higher than my ninja which i can easily flat foot with plenty of room.

blackripley i ride the ninja pretty hard and i know the busa couldn't be ridden the same way( with me on it ). however once it warms up ill spend more time on the highway a few hundred miles a week. i would love to own a liter bike or a 600, but i feel like that would be more of a weekend bike for me. the busa is a much more practical option as a daily rider, which is why i was also considering the z1000 and speed triple previously. after thinking more i may grab a leftover 2015-2016 zx10 or cbr1000rr cheap and wait for the gen 3 busa. leaks keep talking about a lighter frame, larger engine, new styling and on top of that i expect more rider aids. i hope they keep the analog tach though.

#12 ·
getgoodslicks, 4k miles is not as much riding as you might believe. I think you should get any bike you want, but calling the Hayabusa "the more practical option" is like saying I need a McLaren to go get my groceries. The Hayabusa is a hyperbike it is more then a world of difference then your Ninja 300, the only thing that have in common is two wheels.

Like I stated I have ridden one, it is not the bike for me (a lot of fun but not my ride).

I do not have a cautionary tale for you about getting this or any other motorcycle, get the bike you want. Keep in mind no matter what you say or believe today; you will not respect the power of the bike, you will not ride with in your limits and you will not remember what I have said here until something happens. It is the nature of this sport.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.