New to me GSXR 600 problems? - Sportbikes.net
Suzuki Sportbikes GSX-1300R - Hayabusa, GSX-R1000, GSX-R750, GSX-R600, TL1000R/S, Katana, GS500F, Bandit, SV Series, RG500

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New to me GSXR 600 problems?

Hi all. I just bought my dream bike from a member off this board about a month ago. It's a 2005 GSXR 600 with about 3100 miles on it. I have not rode it much because of the cold weather. It was about 55 degrees outside today so I got it out and took it for a little spin. The bike seems to be fine besides one little problem. I sometimes have a hard time starting the damn thing. Is this common on these Suzuki's or what? Never had problems like this on my other bikes. Example: Today I go out in the garage and start it up and it starts up fine(very cold start). I then head to my g/f house and stay in there for about 3 hours. Go outside to start it and it seems to have trouble. I have to give it some gas in order for it to start. I mean idk what's going on. The bike sits a week in a cold garage and it starts up fine. When I get done riding and turn it off for a few minutes and get back on it to ride off again it starts up fine. This has happened a couple of times on me. Any help would be appreciated. It idles @ about 1000-1100 when cold and about 1200 when it's warm. Is this to low? Do any of you GSXR owners sometimes have a hard time starting yours up?

Last edited by NinjaNewb; 02-02-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:12 PM
old member

The warm idle sounds about right. Cold idle is too low. Maybe check the enricher circuit used for cold starts.

Moderator - New riders, help me fix it and riders' gear. Send me a PM with questions, suggestions, or issues.

Never out-ride your ability to react (even stop) within the distance you can see (at least on the street).

Great content for new riders at:

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Damn I don't do electronics. You know I thought it was funny that the engine didn't idle a little high when it was cold and then slowly the idle goes back in normal like my FZ6 and like any fuel injected car. IDK what to do. Thanks for the replay Ray.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 12:27 PM
ReGgAe StYlEs

is the battery still the original one? Maybe get it tested? I had similar issues when my old battery was on its way out...had its good days and its bad days

If it isn't custom...is it really yours?
2001 GSX-R600: Custom Delrin Sliders and Spools, K&N filter, PCIII USB, 520 EK Chain, Woodcraft Clip-ons and Footpegs, Circuit 1 Case Cover, SS brake lines front and rear, GSX-R750 fork, and GSX-R1000 front brakes, GPR Stabilizer, CRG Shorty Levers, full Akrapovic exhaust, Renthal Grips, Greggs Customs Signals, CBR 954 Integrated Tail Light
Gear: Alpinestars TZ-1 Jacket, Arai Quantum 2 Helmet, Alpinestars SPS Gloves, ICON Superduty 2 Pants.
JUST SAY NO TO CHROME!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Yes I was told it is the original battery. I'm thinking about getting a battery tender and charge it up to see if the problem goes away. The bike was barely ridden so I'm figuring the problem might be the battery. No riding = No charging. What's a good one to get? I'm thinking battery tender Jr. 6Volts or 12volts?

Last edited by NinjaNewb; 02-04-2008 at 03:55 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
old member

12 volts. The only vehicles (besides really old ones) I know that run on 6 volts are mid 60's and earlier VW's.

Moderator - New riders, help me fix it and riders' gear. Send me a PM with questions, suggestions, or issues.

Never out-ride your ability to react (even stop) within the distance you can see (at least on the street).

Great content for new riders at:

http://www.bestbeginnermotorcycles.com/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:32 PM
SBN Rookie

These bikes do have trouble starting when they are warm for some reason. This is normally more of a hot weather issue than a cold weather issue, but for some reason they start fine cold, and they start fine right after you shut them off, but leave them off for a while and you have to give them some throttle to get them going.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Habitual line-stepper

Thanked 1,265 Times in 643 Posts

I went to batterystuff.com and got a really nice absorbed glass mat battery for 55 shipped.

AGM batteries are maintenance free, and they also don't lose a charge as fast as a normal battery. I think it discharges at about 10% the rate of a standard lead-acid battery.

I highly recommend them. I can go for 2 months without riding and it cranks over on the first try. I have a battery tender but never even need to use it.

And for that price, you'd be silly NOT to get one.

Moderator of Rider's Gear and Help me Fix it.

PM me if you have questions, concerns, or beer you need to give away.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Supersport Racer

dude change the plugs to a hotter plug my 600 did the same shit to me at first. good luck
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2008, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Club Racer

Thanks everyone for the responces. I have been busy here lately so I have not been able to do any riding really. I'm not to worried about it really unless it becomes a big issue. I have not rode the damn thing enough to see if it is that big of a problem. I will see when it starts to warm up a little bit more and riding it almost on a dialy basis to see if it is really a big issue for myself.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Back Marker

My bike has never had a problem starting, no matter what the weather.

www.myspace.com/amanda_hug_n_kiss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbikes.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.