Sport Bikes banner

Gearing question for a Gixxah

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  apfire26 
#1 ·
so got 2006 gsxr600 stock gearing, and don’t know much on changing it up.

this is the deal, i can power it up just fine in 2nd about 55.
basically I want to slow it down a little, and it be nice to have it come up easier. You might say clutch it, i know i do that but I like the power. I don’t want to sacrifice all my top end speed so just something minor to tweak it.

do i need a different chain? should i just go -1 front, or just tweak the back, both? wtf i don’t know.

#2 ·
Just learn to clutch it up. Once you can succesfully clutch it up at a constant rate you'll wonder why you ever bothered with powpows.

If you really feel the need to power it up at say 45 instead of 55 in second, go for a 520 chain/sprocket kit.

#4 ·
ya goose it pretty hard or it wont come up...

When i clutch it its unpredictable, i either get it all the way up or barely half way. I guess i like power because its consistent for me... your prolly like practice more idiot, i know but i think a gearing it a (little) will make my power even more butterrr

#5 ·
I say go with what works for you, alot of people including myself don't like to power it up, once you get it up, you about out of RPM"s either that or she's screaming like no other once you get it to the BP. It all depends on how long you want to ride them out, or you just want the braging rights to tell your friends that you can power it up in 2nd and ride them aways, or just show off when cruzing with your friends.

But on another note,like aderline fix said it, do the 520 conversion, and maybe drop a tooth in the front. I think going -1 in the front is about the same as going +2 or 3 in the rear...or it's pretty close. so either way.. If you just do -1 in the front you won't need a new chain, but anymore then that, i'd be searching for a new chain.

If you practice more with clutching them up, they will get more predictable...just give it some time. It will be different clutching them up at diffrent speeds, give it a little more if your going slower, and a little less if your in same gear going faster...and so on

#6 ·
Sounds like you have a lot of work to do before you need much gearing. If you were learning in the lots, I'd say gear the shit out of it.
But.......... since your still doing pow pows out on the streets, I say go down 1 in the front until your clutching, hitting bp, then slowing them down. In that order.
A 23 your old just died in my area 2 weeks ago doing a high speed wheelie, he came down from it, went into a tank slapper, then hit a car in the turning lane.
So my advice is, keep it as slow as possible and away from traffic. Especially as a beginner.
Good luck and be safe.

#10 ·
+1 Everyone needs to take it to a lot some where. There's way to many people going out and doing 70mph pow pow pow wows and fucking them selves or even worse others up.

BTW IMO there's no need for gearing for slow shit if you practice enough and want to stay on stock. The highest I went was 1- +3, back to stock now and love it. Just turn the idle up and your good to go. But then again I want to be a pimp someday and turn HC O's on a 100% stock bike :lao:cheers

#9 ·
Learn brake control at mild speeds, learn balance point and how to NOT flip over and become a grease stain! Id lock down brake control though seriously itll be the basis of your stunting future so the quicker you learn that the better!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.