Sport Bikes banner

Check out my restored F2

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  CBR600Lady 
#1 · (Edited)
I got this bike from my brother's friend that got it from a junkyard in March. At first I was just going to fix it up to stunt but then I decided to fix it all the way. I got a new frame, new forks, new swingarm, other misc. parts. Painted the wheels and frame with spray can enamel.

Then I had a bad lowside but got lucky as the only things that broke was the instrument cluster and the fairing stay. Both of them had to be replaced anyway as the cluster was already cracked and the stay bent. Also dinged up the tank but it was my bad tank so that was ok.

Then I painted the the plastics with spray paint and clearcoated it out of a gun with 3 part polyurethane. Spray paint is great because it saves a lot of time when working with several colors. The poly clear makes it fuelproof and have a mirror shine. I also got an aftermarket upper and cut out the turnsignal humps out of it and made it flush. The turnsignals are integrated in the mirrors. It ended up pretty well. There is a small chip in the rear left plastic from where I accidently dropped it onto concrete and there's one small run in the clearcoat on the right lower from where the gun hose got caught and yanked the gun.

Also I'd recommend a 180/55 rear tire for the F2/F3. You don't have to worry about running out of sidewall. Even if you're dragging the pegs you'll still have half an inch strip left over. I also put a manual timing chain tensioner in and new friction plates, steel plates, and firm springs.

The first pic is what it was like when I got it, 2nd pic is after I put it back together, 3rd is after the lowside, last is what it looks like today and then her in action.

And she is now for sale as 5 bikes is a bit much: http://sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?p=102422#post102422

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
very very NICE!! :dblthumb

#13 ·
Thanks Dev!

evils-03-RR, you can't get it in a spray can because, it's epoxy based. You have to mix the 3 parts together, once they're mixed it starts to harden. What you maybe could do is get one of those propellant spray cans. I seen some paint place sell it. It's a bottle you pour paint into, then it has an air bottle as a propellant.

The better thing to do would be to just buy a gun and rent or borrow a compressor. They're not too terribly expensive. Especially for a siphon feed.

Another thing you could do is use duplicolor enamel clearcoat. It would prob be ok. Use the duplicolor lacquer paint because it's fast drying and you can mask it off in 20 minutes, then clearcoat with duplicolor enamel clear. I'd still get 3 part polyurethane. I used napa Crossfire. I think it's like 50$ per 1.5 or 2 quarts mixed. Polyurethane is more durable, fuel resistant, and doesn't stain as easy. Rent or buy a gun and a compressor. It's worth it.

Max

#14 ·
You can get clear in a spray can but it's crap compared to the real thing. Urethane clear also has UV blockers in it to help keep the sun from tearing it up so fast.
Even if you get Martin Senior from a NAPA store it will cost 7 - 8 bucks a can and won't be worth shit.

I completely agree with the spray can undercoat. I've been doing it for years myself, but I depressurize the spray can and put the paint in my small DeVilbis gravity feed touch up gun. It sprays so much better of a pattern than a spray can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.