Sport Bikes banner

May have found gear, would like experienced opinions

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  SlowIsSmooth 
#1 ·
Hello gentlemen, and ladies, I think I've found the gear I'd like to get being a first time owner of a bike (soon, not quite yet.) I should say I have driven a few bikes before, some that I probably shouldn't have considering they were....well b***** than they seemed once I sat on them. And because I was basically being a squid on them in a parking lot, I didn't try and do too much crazy shit, especially since the first one was a ZX-10.

So since I actually want to own a bike, set myself up for a safety course later in the spring but I need gear. So I think the only thing I really need help with is finding a good jacket. So far I have these picked out for other parts of gear:

Helmet(s): Icon Alliance Dark, Bell Qualifier (after a few months of riding I planned to upgrade to a more premium helmet if for looks/features if anything and would keep whichever of these as a spare.)
Gloves: Alpinestars SP-8
Boots: Alpinestars SMX 2 (Willing to go SMX 3 if anyone thinks the 2's are too short)

I know for sure I want to go leather at least for my first jacket, will probably get a textile later on for air flow since the mid missouri humidity and heat can get annoying as hell...

For jackets I'd like something that breathes decently. Right now the only ones I have in mind are the AGV Sport Tornado or Sport Photon or the REV'IT GT-R. I'd like to keep the jacket below $400 as well, had to set the budget somewhere.

If it helps, I'm 5'7 155lbs and not at all muscular. Only recently started hitting the gym but work and classes keep me from having a regular schedule lol. Most if not all of my riding would be commuting or joy riding on the weekends, no track time for a while if at all, plus the bike Im after will either be a Ninja 300 or Yamaha R3 (depends on the deal I can get with insurance and the local dealer.)

See less See more
#3 ·
Might look into it. What makes you think I should go will full length? Of course for protection that's a given of course but is it worth it as a commuter? I do for sure know I will be getting riders jeans soon and then eventually proper riders pants (over-pants since I have to wear khakis into work and it would cut down changing time.)

I also see you're from KC, that's awesome man.

#5 ·
Good to know, thanks a lot.

#6 · (Edited)
At the end of the day you have to buy what you can afford.

Having said that, I wouldn't put anything on my head less than a top of the line helmet. Bell Star, Shoei or Arai. Not trying to be a snob but you only have one punkin and if it gets cracked you're done.

I spent like $2000 on gear for the street. Some of it crosses over to the track but I did splurge another almost $2K for my one piece track suit.

Call Sport Bike Track Gear, they have great deals on all kinds of stuff and really know their products. They DO NOT steer you in a direction for $$ they steer you towards the best gear for your budget.

Gloves are another thing I would never skimp on. I bought Held Titans, found them used here iirc for like $275, they were practically new and are still serving me well after more than two seasons.

Dress for the crash. Imagine grinding your hands on pavement at 75 mph and for how long you will slide at that speed. You're going to trust some Chinese made crap for that?

Good luck, be patient, do research and get the best you can afford.

Edited to add, I second taller boots. I run full on race boots on the street. Again, the one time you crash you're going to be VERY HAPPY you dressed to protect.

#8 ·
I want to try and keep my budget between $500-1000 so after looking around I'm gonna go with these:

Icon Alliance Dark helmet (DOT and ECE, clear and dark shields too)
Dainese Laguna EVO Perforated Leather jacket (And eventually the Over Flux Pants from them too but not right out of the gate, just going to go with some AGV Sport Alloy jeans for now)
Alpinestars SP-8 gauntlet gloves
Dainese TR Course Out Air boots

Deals I've found around make the price just over $800 so when it comes buying time for me I'll see if I have the money to jump up to stuff that's better for the price depending on deals.

Thanks a lot by the way guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.