Sport Bikes banner

mixing a 2 pc?

753 views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  stealthy1 
#1 ·
I have a teknic jacket. The pants are on backorder from where I purchased them. I may cancel my order because 2 days has turned into 2 weeks. Track time is just 3 weeks away. Is it ok to get a different brand with a 360 zip or do they not all work with each other?

#3 ·
If the zippers don't match up bro just have one sewn on that will. Most companies send the pants or jacket with the matching zipper half.....just get someone that knows how and has the proper equipment to sew the other half on.

#5 ·
Each company has a different zipper size and design. Some cross over and some don't. What you might try bro is call a company that sells gear and has both and ask if they can try and zip them together and see if they can.

#7 ·
Don't know anyone that can sew heavy stitching bro? Each piece will come with the mating zipper and just get it sewn on. Just make sure the stitching is heavy to prevent seperating during a wreck or getting weak due to sweat, rain and such.

#9 ·
stealthy1 said:
huh? if I buy the pants they come with the other zipper half also? Is that right? I could take them in somewhere to have it done.

Every jacket and pants that I have bought had the matching zipper half with it as well. Can always verify it by calling the lace you plan to buy from and make sure but everything that I have bought has had the zipper mate with it.

#10 ·
omg I'm a loser. I've never said this before, but you are correct officer.:boink
I finally thought to look at the zipper on my jacket and by golly there is the other half. Thanks man. I feel much better now and my options are so wide open now. :)

#11 ·
stealthy1 said:
omg I'm a loser. I've never said this before, but you are correct officer.:boink
I finally thought to look at the zipper on my jacket and by golly there is the other half. Thanks man. I feel much better now and my options are so wide open now. :)

:dblthumb Good deal bro!! Let us know what you get and how it turns out :beer

#12 ·
I got the motogp pants with sliders. The 2 did not match up of course, so I had to sew the mating half of the zipper to the jacket.
Hopefully the following may help someone who gets stuck like I did.
Here's what I did:
I eyeballed where the zipper would work on the jacket. Removed the mating half from the pants being certain not to sew it on backwards (it only works one way), I found some safety pins and placed them where I wanted the zipper to go. I also made a point to place it inside of the original zipper that came with the jacket so that zipper would not rub against me while riding.
I laced up the old sewing machine that we didn't know if it worked or not, and got to work.
To my surprise not only did it work, it added a "bonus" stitch on the underside. I only know this because the thread I put through the needle was black, and the underside had white stitching exactly where I had been (admittedly slighly crooked :bitchslap ). So that I felt better about the connection, I made three passes, which I assume to count as 6 stitches or three double stitches. It should be every bit as strong as the factory sewing.
I'm feeling pretty good about trying it myself. For one, I trust it will work out fine, so I saved the money, time and effort of taking to a professional. Also my wife had her doubts.

Advice to anyone going to try the same thing, use the zipper from the pants like I did, unless you have a large flap on your pants like I had on my jacket. My wife got a pair of pants in also, hers have next to nothing to really work with on the bottoms also. I presume this is just how all pants are, I could be wrong though. Another reason to attach to jacket which I can envision is if your jacket has some sort of liner with no flap, you can still just sew the zipper part onto the liner without much fuss. If you don't have enough room on the mated half of the zipper, you should probably attach it to a peice of a strong material, then proceed with sewing it to the jacket to provide you with more room to work with. This method, you would probably want to safety pin the addition material on, and presumably attach higher than the zipper itself would be to make up for the exrta distance.
Hope typing all this helps someone, but either way, I try...I try.:twofinger

#13 ·
lol...

So your bobby had a different color thread than what you were using, eh?

You could have changed it... :)

And it's not a "bonus" stitch, because the backside thread is what holds the front together, and vice versa. Without it (unless you're doing a different kind of stitch), the stitching will pull right out.

And it's not the number of rows that matters so much in cases like this as the number of stitches per inch.

But that area is not under that much stress, and most are sewn to the liner... which isn't all that strong.

So you should be fine.

And yes- i know how to work a sewing machine.

:)

#14 ·
Bobby huh? ok, I believe ya man.
I tugged on what I thought was a stray line coming from the bottom and it didn't reall move, so I took my chances and started the machine. I call it a bonus stitch since I had no idea what the actual term is used to describe it and I didn't know it would put itself in the sewing...hence a bonus for me:banana . I'm just happy I didn't have to take it in, and now I know I have a sewing machine all set up in case of emergencies. We've had this thing for about 2 years.
BTW, is that bike done yet?

#15 ·
stealthy1 said:
Bobby huh? ok, I believe ya man.
I tugged on what I thought was a stray line coming from the bottom and it didn't reall move, so I took my chances and started the machine. I call it a bonus stitch since I had no idea what the actual term is used to describe it and I didn't know it would put itself in the sewing...hence a bonus for me:banana . I'm just happy I didn't have to take it in, and now I know I have a sewing machine all set up in case of emergencies. We've had this thing for about 2 years.
BTW, is that bike done yet?
LMAO..... way to stumble through things!!!! :dblthumb

And no- the bike is not done. It WAS done, but i started tearing it apart again.

Turns out Illinois has very strict salvage title laws, and i can't register a salvage title without having a "licensed" rebuilder certify it, blah blah blah.... i'm fucked.

So i'm putting the good engine in the OTHER bike, along with the wheels, tires, and bodywork, and exhuast... and forks.... and clipons....

So it'll be a couple days. Good news is that i've done most of this before, except for the engine swapping.

THAT could be a headache. But we'll see.

How hard could it be??

#16 ·
kevinwilly said:
LMAO..... way to stumble through things!!!! :dblthumb

And no- the bike is not done. It WAS done, but i started tearing it apart again.

Turns out Illinois has very strict salvage title laws, and i can't register a salvage title without having a "licensed" rebuilder certify it, blah blah blah.... i'm fucked.

So i'm putting the good engine in the OTHER bike, along with the wheels, tires, and bodywork, and exhuast... and forks.... and clipons....

So it'll be a couple days. Good news is that i've done most of this before, except for the engine swapping.

THAT could be a headache. But we'll see.

How hard could it be??
Wow, that sucks. Sorry about that one man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.